Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,696
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Yes, they are but TN wants brand new navalized T-129 and T-929. Those AH-1Ws are very old. They have little flight hours left on them and it isn't worth investing more into those.

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
113 14,742
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Yes, they are but TN wants brand new navalized T-129 and T-929. Those AH-1Ws are very old. They have little flight hours left on them and it isn't worth investing more into those.
I agree. But when you have no navalised helicopters to station on your LHD, what are you to do? Wait until you navalised t-129 and t-929? How long do you think the navalised versions will take to build?

T

Turko

I agree. But when you have no navalised helicopters to station on your LHD, what are you to do? Wait until you navalised t-129 and t-929? How long do you think the navalised versions will take to build?
1631078988245.png

1631079148702.png

İ wish Sea Atak T929 to be in these configurations.

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,696
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
It doesn't matter we won't be operating our LHD before 2023. Even the announced "delivery" date of March 2022 is very doubtful. It might slip to the second or third quarter easily and I have suspicions that it might slip even more. The initial operational capability can be gained in 2023 with a march 2022 delivery.

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
113 14,742
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
It doesn't matter we won't be operating our LHD before 2023. Even the announced "delivery" date of March 2022 is very doubtful. It might slip to the second or third quarter easily and I have suspicions that it might slip even more. The initial operational capability can be gained in 2023 with a march 2022 delivery.
Correct! To get TCG Anadolu ready may be even later. But to navalise a helicopter means you almost have to re-build it from scratch.
Landing gears will be much stronger. Structure of the helicopter will be made to withstand rough landings on deck. All equipment, including PCBs, in the inside of the helicopter will have to be corrosion proof tested and will have to be rebuilt if needed. Paint is probably the easiest part. But it has to be special as well. Seahawk and Blackhawk are sooo different.
How long do you think it will take to build a navalised t-129 ?
Hell! We haven’t even built our t-929 yet. First there is going to be prototypes. Then production. When do you reckon we will have the first serial production samples coming out? Never mind the navalised version!
Either we will have to buy ready built sea worthy helicopters from Italy or use those old AH1 super cobras until we have our own.
OK for transporting troops, we may not need helicopters stationed on LHD. We could use land stationed Helicopters even if it is inconvenient. But if we are talking about force projection off shore, then all helicopters should be stationed at the LHD.

Last edited:

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,769
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
I would really have liked to see a concept design including armaments of a T629 (Based on Gökbey 625) for Law Enforcement (Police).

I'm afraid the work even the idea is not permitted because once you formulate the idea and concept design including a feasibility. You need damn good arguments to not go through with it. So I assume that many of these are not allowed to be formulated.

1631260553723.png

If we take a look at similar design that's been remodelled I guess AW169 could serve the purpose.

1631260749660.png

It could potentially be fitted with 20 mm and Cirit and still be overkill for the police. But the TS1400 would come into play which is what matters.

Combat-Master

Baklava Consumer
Reactions
15 25,473
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
I would really have liked to see a concept design including armaments of a T629 (Based on Gökbey 625) for Law Enforcement (Police).

I'm afraid the work even the idea is not permitted because once you formulate the idea and concept design including a feasibility. You need damn good arguments to not go through with it. So I assume that many of these are not allowed to be formulated.

View attachment 30807

If we take a look at similar design that's been remodelled I guess AW169 could serve the purpose.

View attachment 30808

It could potentially be fitted with 20 mm and Cirit and still be overkill for the police. But the TS1400 would come into play which is what matters.

What we need is something to counter Greek light attack helicopters OH-58 Kiowa. TUSAS has been working on a light helicopter for some time and are very hush with its development. only a few images of its existence has been shared on this forum.

Converting those light helicopters into something that could compete with the likes of OH-58 Kiowa would be perfect for law enforcement.

KAI LAH as an example of a modern light attack helicopter
LAH_prototype.jpg

ITU ARI - Turkish University Project which has been transferred to cooperative development with TUSAS
itu-hthmart2011.jpg

Anyway, those conceptualisations and ideals are likely decades away from reality. We gotta make do with what we have on hand - T129.

Last edited:

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,769
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
What we need is something to counter Greek light attack helicopters OH-58 Kiowa. TUSAS has been working on a light helicopter for some time and are very hush with its development. only a few images of its existence has been shared on this forum.

Converting those light helicopters into something that could compete with the likes of OH-58 Kiowa would be perfect for law enforcement.

View attachment 30811

ITU ARI

View attachment 30812

Has some very impressive capabilities especially considering that it's primary job seems to be relaying information to other units.

I still believe that building and refitting and getting feedback on built models would improve our capability in reeling in costumers. Imagine how much "battleproven" label impacts export capabilities.

There is a very real danger of waiting too long and allowing our export capability to dwindle, nursing something for too long just means losing out on export markets.

Of course delivering something with flaws isn't good either, but we need to get a foothold on export markets especially with helicopters.

e.g. Philippine may be a good example here as they're a country which suffers from poverty and push acquisitions expecting freebies and such, which is understandable, but if they go for of the shelf buying they'll be stuck as a feeding place for exporters.

Nutuk

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
8 3,544
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
I think light scout/attack helicopters like Kiowa lost their value to drones, hence why the US retired them at a relative young age and shipped them to junk collecting countries like Greece.

I mean what is the worth of KIOWA against a TB2 (armed with Sungur ATAS)

Khagan1923

Contributor
Reactions
12 3,864
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Don’t want to sound like a dick but those Kiowa Greece bought are completely stripped of even basic countermeasures. Easy prey for even Manpads. Those things are a death machine for its own inhabitants.

Aksungur/TB2/Akinci/Anka can easily Hunt it over the Aegean Sea without any problems.

Then you have Sungur that can easily be integrated onto existing FAC.

CAN_TR

Contributor
Reactions
11 4,969
Nation of residence
Austria
Nation of origin
Turkey
In Iraq and Afghanistan 35 Kiowas were destroyed due to combat or accident with 35 fatalities, the idea of reconnicance helicopters is outdated and using them as light attack helicopter is pretty reckless.

Good to transport few SF's to certain locations and give them some sort of CAS but when the opponent has MANPADS and SPAAG then it will end badly.

Follow us on social media

Latest posts

Top Bottom