TR Attack & Utility Helicopter Programs

Sanders

Reactions
2 179
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Because of the ''beauty'' discussions, we couldn't talk much about the 6 hard points issue.
It is a very important advantage both over AH-64 and Mi-28.
It seems T929 can be configurated with 16 anti-tank missiles and external fuel tanks or EW pods according to the mission profile.
Neither AH-64 nor Mi-28 doesn't have 6 hard points, Mi-24 and Ka-52 have.

Ekran Alıntısı.PNG

5766.jpg
Mi-28-havoc.jpg

82510_1595102680.jpg

mi-35.jpg

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
86 10,823
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Because of the ''beauty'' discussions, we couldn't talk much about the 6 hard points issue.
It is a very important advantage both over AH-64 and Mi-28.
It seems T929 can be configurated with 16 anti-tank missiles and external fuel tanks or EW pods according to the mission profile.
Neither AH-64 nor Mi-28 doesn't have 6 hard points, Mi-24 and Ka-52 have.

View attachment 56844

View attachment 56842
The KA-52's underwing ammunition configuration is very nice. Instead of four 4-rail racks, there can be two 6-rail racks. NATO standard 2-rail ATGM racks are around 45kg, 4-rail racks are around 65kg, I think a 6-rail rack can be under 90kg. 12 L-UMTAS 450kg, the total load of 12 ATGM in a total of two pylons would be around 650kg. There is plenty of room for other types of ammunition and there are 4 more empty pylons. The remaining 4 stations can accommodate air-to-air missiles, guided rockets, loitering drones/missiles or LAU rocket pods.

moz68k

Reactions
18 591
Nation of residence
Switzerland
Nation of origin
Turkey
The KA-52's underwing ammunition configuration is very nice. Instead of four 4-rail racks, there can be two 6-rail racks.
I've always felt that the Ka-50-2 "Erdoğan" would have been an awesome attack helicopter for TSK. I know it's cool to dunk on Russian hardware these days, but I never thought their platforms were bad, the inheritors of Soviet tech just failed to properly modernize, maintain, and innovate due to endemic corruption. TAI and ASELSAN would have made these things beasts.

1682802828646.png
1682802854166.png

But that's all ancient history. The T-129 was a much better outcome for TAI and provided valuable know-how for Gökbey and ATAK II.

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
61 7,633
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I've always felt that the Ka-50-2 "Erdoğan" would have been an awesome attack helicopter for TSK. I know it's cool to dunk on Russian hardware these days, but I never thought their platforms were bad, the inheritors of Soviet tech just failed to properly modernize, maintain, and innovate due to endemic corruption. TAI and ASELSAN would have made these things beasts.

View attachment 56848 View attachment 56849

But that's all ancient history. The T-129 was a much better outcome for TAI and provided valuable know-how for Gökbey and ATAK II.
It was also a half baked prototype with some Israeli tech inside and not much else, compared to other more tried and tested participants. I think it's cute that TSK even entertained the idea and allowed them into the tender. But I've always found the retractable turret setup interesting. The gun would extend downwards after takeoff and it's actually middle mounted, a design like none other.

How did they think the gun would stay stabilized or how it would be fed, literally no idea. Still cool tho.
CzMnoxb.jpeg

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
86 10,823
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

View attachment 56848 View attachment 56849

It was also a half baked prototype with some Israeli tech inside and not much else, compared to other more tried and tested participants. I think it's cute that TSK even entertained the idea and allowed them into the tender. But I've always found the retractable turret setup interesting. The gun would extend downwards after takeoff and it's actually middle mounted, a design like none other.

How did they think the gun would stay stabilized or how it would be fed, literally no idea. Still cool tho.
CzMnoxb.jpeg
Aside from the retractable turret and glass cocpit, after 25 years, we came close to that approach again. 30mm cannon, 6 weapon stations and capacity of up to 1.2 tonnes, flexible modular avionics infrastructure(with the assumption that it will be the main attack helicopter of the navy), and all Itar-free system.

Sanders

Reactions
2 179
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
The KA-52's underwing ammunition configuration is very nice. Instead of four 4-rail racks, there can be two 6-rail racks. NATO standard 2-rail ATGM racks are around 45kg, 4-rail racks are around 65kg, I think a 6-rail rack can be under 90kg. 12 L-UMTAS 450kg, the total load of 12 ATGM in a total of two pylons would be around 650kg. There is plenty of room for other types of ammunition and there are 4 more empty pylons. The remaining 4 stations can accommodate air-to-air missiles, guided rockets, loitering drones/missiles or LAU rocket pods.
Agree. 6 hardpoints promise very different combinations for different missions.
Ka-52-like load-outs can be seen in the naval version of T929 in the future, especially those that include air-to-air missiles and small-cruise missiles like KEMANKEŞ or Çakır.

US AH-1s almost always carry Sidewinder, for example.

sitemgr_photo_5706.jpg

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
86 10,823
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Ka-52-like load-outs can be seen in the naval version of T929 in the future, especially those that include air-to-air missiles and small-cruise missiles like KEMANKEŞ or Çakır.

View attachment 56850
Bozdoğan integration sounds very cool, but it is necessary to ask to üstads how efficient it will be in practice. Maybe AA missiles with an operational range of up to 20 km can be an important multiplier to support amphibious landing operations, I don't know. There is also the highly manoeuvrable IIR A-A missile, a smaller version of Bozdoan, which has not been fully presented yet. That could be a missile for directly to 929's arsenal.

What I wanted to point out was the 2x2 Sungur pods. Just like the AH-64s. ATAS BIIs have a flight range of around 8 km, Sungur's A-A variant may be closer to 10 km. On the outer pylons, two Sungur twin pods will use a total capacity of around 100/120kg. Let's consider the above imaginary 12 ATGM scenario in 2 racks: That still leaves two pylons and over 400kg of room. This chopper has the potential to be a real monster.

Last edited:

Osman

Committed member
Reactions
2 464
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Do not forget kuzgun ky (40 + km range) and kuzgub turbojet (180 km range from ucav, so similar range can be estimated for choppers) weighing 84 kg.

Kuzgun ky will also have mwr guided version and the range of meteksan mw radar is 40 km if I am not wrong

A load of 8 - 12 kuzgun ky and tj seems possible with smart racks.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
7 7,208
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
12 ton MTOW can mean 30 troops on a T925 from the previous 24.

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
86 10,823
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

View attachment 56850
I felt the need to quote your message again since UMTAS-GM has been announced. If this missile will offer a +20km engagement range, long-range A-A missiles (I mean for helicopters' standard) may also be required in the same configuration. Because, please correct me if I am wrong, it is starting to move away from close air support to another point. An example configuration for 929: 8 UMTAS-GM, 2 Bozdogan, and 2 Kemankeş or like loitering missiles. No rockets, no short-range weapons. Instead: a couple loitering systems' EOs flying forward line with the radar and electro-optics carried on the helicopter itself.

Knowledgeseeker

Experienced member
Arab Moderator
Morocco Moderator
Reactions
16 4,406
Nation of residence
Norway
Nation of origin
Moroco
I felt the need to quote your message again since UMTAS-GM has been announced. If this missile will offer a +20km engagement range, long-range A-A missiles (I mean for helicopters' standard) may also be required in the same configuration. Because, please correct me if I am wrong, it is starting to move away from close air support to another point. An example configuration for 929: 8 UMTAS-GM, 2 Bozdogan, and 2 Kemankeş or like loitering missiles. No rockets, no short-range weapons. Instead: a couple loitering systems' EOs flying forward line with the radar and electro-optics carried on the helicopter itself.
That's what Lockheed Martin is doing with the introduction of Israeli Spike-NLOS compared to the older hellfire missiles with a 10 km range.

boredaf

Contributor
Solutions
Reactions
11 2,809
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
small-cruise missiles like KEMANKEŞ or Çakır
Those are not even remotely the same thing though, Çakır's warhead weighs more than twice as much as Kemankeş as a whole and complete missile is 10 times heavier. Calling Kemankeş a cruise missile is an insult to cruise missiles everywhere, it's a loitering munition with 6kg warhead.

Last edited:

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
61 7,633
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Let's just call it a hybrid munition as that's what it is. It's a loitering munition, a stand off munition and a short endurance UAV in the same platform. With all the links, kement and others, theoretically the chopper pilot can launch the thing and can give the control to a UAV pilot and just "forget" it, which would also somehow make it a fire and forget weapon even when it's used in the man in the loop role.

YeşilVatan

Contributor
Reactions
10 1,280
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Let's just call it a hybrid munition as that's what it is. It's a loitering munition, a stand off munition and a short endurance UAV in the same platform. With all the links, kement and others, theoretically the chopper pilot can launch the thing and can give the control to a UAV pilot and just "forget" it, which would also somehow make it a fire and forget weapon even when it's used in the man in the loop role.
But what is being gained by using helicopters as a a launch platform? I'm asking because I think I'm missing something here. Is it achieving longer range by using drones as forward observers/laser desginators?

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
61 7,633
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
A more survivable, compared to a TB2, faster launch platform. It gives more options to strike with from multiple directions and altitudes.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom