Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
80 45,486
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
@Boz, Can you paint those unassembled parts in the same color with rest of the fuselage? Let our members see final appearance of P0.

Merzifonlu

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
24 2,053
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Congratulations TAI. If the FLIR is attached to the nose cone like on the T129, the 30mm gun will have no problem in terms of functionality. The T929 looks ugly as the engine bay hasn't been dressed yet. Finish the decoration part, even if she's not a beauty queen, she looks charismatic on screen like Jean Paul Belmondo, don't worry too much.

TR_123456

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
Congratulations TAI. If the FLIR is attached to the nose cone like on the T129, the 30mm gun will have no problem in terms of functionality. The T929 looks ugly as the engine bay hasn't been dressed yet. Finish the decoration part, even if she's not a beauty queen, she looks charismatic on screen like Jean Paul Belmondo, don't worry too much.
How many of the forum members would know Jean Paul Belmondo you think? 😁 😁 😁

Aloster

Reactions
1 129
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Whats ballistic protection of this helicopter? can survive 12.7 mm if it shoot around engine and cockpit ?
Aslo what do u think about ukrainian engunes , are any good?
They are not bad engines. U have to compare them with west ones not only weight power ratio , fuel consumption and Mtff ( mean time to first failure) also u have to include acc to price , operating and producing strategy, work at failure time, work at bad conditions. I m sure that u see a balance between west ones and Soviet ones. If not exist , half of the world not use them. Of course now west ones goes up but still we can use Ukraine ones untill we can produce national ones.

Last edited:

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
116 14,843
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Whats ballistic protection of this helicopter? can survive 12.7 mm if it shoot around engine and cockpit ?
It is stated in the specifications of the helicopter that the pilot cabin and most of the cockpit is protected against 12.7mm rounds.
This was a disturbing deficiency of the Atak-129 and had to be addressed. Another important point is the inclusion of a milimetric radar. Meteksan had made the Mildar, which is a very potent piece of equipment. But it could not be incorporated in to Atak-129. Hopefully it will have it’s place in this bird.

Radonsider

Contributor
Reactions
13 2,558
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina

Attachments

• Fu3hvhxWcAEZdSj.jpg
    Fu3hvhxWcAEZdSj.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 95

Ripley

Contributor
USA Correspondent
Reactions
12 1,512
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
There was this *contributor at trmilitary forum who suggested that this was “a good test bed”, not Atak 2 itself.

Well, looking at this bare-bone “aircraft” stripped of fuselage parts and lack of many components, I’m beginning to believe that is the case.

*EDIT: I would gladly share his name but I’m afraid can’t find his post at the related thread.

MADDOG

Contributor
Türkiye Correspondent
Professional
Reactions
31 7,977
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Cyprus
There was this *contributor at trmilitary forum who suggested that this was “a good test bed”, not Atak 2 itself.

Well, looking at this bare-bone “aircraft” stripped of fuselage parts and lack of many components, I’m beginning to believe that is the case.

*EDIT: I would gladly share his name but I’m afraid can’t find his post at the related thread.
You can't trace this to the lack of components (I'm guessing you're referring to her exposed innards). TAI strips off their rotorcraft platforms pre-flight and during the maiden flight the heli might seem incomplete but in reality that isn't the case. We can all agree that this is a pretty early prototype but the reasoning as to why this is the case is different.

E

Era_shield

That person doesn't understand what the term "test bed" means. A test bed is a device or system whose function is to test an installed or connected component which is being developed. When the whole system is what's being developed and tested, that's called a "prototype". What is seen in these pictures is a prototype, and it's normal for these to be tested without outer panels installed, as seen in photos posted earlier in this thread of a different chopper in a similar state.

Agha Sher

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
10 9,129
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Afghanistan
That person doesn't understand what the term "test bed" means. A test bed is a device or system whose function is to test an installed or connected component which is being developed. When the whole system is what's being developed and tested, that's called a "prototype". What is seen in these pictures is a prototype, and it's normal for these to be tested without outer panels installed, as seen in photos posted earlier in this thread of a different chopper in a similar state.

could the gun have been further forward on this early prototype to help with balance and weight distribution? The prototype is obviously missing systems that would add weight to the front of the aircraft in later prototypes.

E

Era_shield

could the gun have been further forward on this early prototype to help with balance and weight distribution? The prototype is obviously missing systems that would add weight to the front of the aircraft in later prototypes.
That's very possible. Either way, I'm 99% sure the front section will look different in the production version.

Ripley

Contributor
USA Correspondent
Reactions
12 1,512
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
I doubt whether he missed the meaning there.
He simply tried to refer the status ”as is”. He didn’t say it was a testbed iirc. In fact, that’s why I quoted it as “a good test bed” as it is currently, not “the test bed” and as a prototype it’s lacking many components obviously and even maybe systems.
We saw a helicopter lifting successfully and I simply wonder whether any systems and components are working in unison as a “prototype” as you put it.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not insinuating a conspiracy or insulting Atak2 project.
I’m just suggesting that it looks more like a “testbed” rather than a “prototype” in its current condition.

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
61 7,634
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Size difference with the T129 is something for sure.

It could be a test bed/prototype to see if the engine set up works. We'll see.

Strong AI

Contributor
Reactions
21 2,283
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
ATAK-2 EXPERIMENTAL starts growing on me.

Between, could ATAK-2 perform SEAD with ammunition like KEMANKES?

Anyway, just imagine the future battlefield, where almost every smart ammunition and UAV, in TSK inventory,
will have an AI to detect and prioritize high-value targets. And all those platforms will communicate with each other.
Also they will be resistant against almost any kind of jamming.
Will the enemy have even a slight chance to counter this concept?

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom