Canada Navy Canada Surface Combatant (CSC) Program

oldcpu

Reactions
6 21
Nation of residence
Thailand
Nation of origin
Canada
Torpedo Defence System for the River Class: Sea Sensor & Expendable Acoustic Countermeasures. Sea Spider ???

Note the Canadian government info graphic on the River Class Destroyer lists the "Towed Torpedo Countermeasures - Ultra Electronics SEA SENTOR S21700" and it does not state the Atlas Elektronik "Sea Spider" which some earlier articles that speculated on the Canadian Surface Combatant suggested (more on that in the second half of this post).

Further to this, I note an article in Defence News dated 24-September, which also notes no mention in the infographic of 'Sea Spider" for the River Class destroyer, and further also states no Navy to date has procured the Sea Spider.

Hence while it is possible Sea Spider is still being considered for the Canadian Navy River Class destroyer, it is not apparent to me that this is the case. Rather at present I suspect the opposite (ie no procurement of Sea Spider) is more likely.

Last edited:

oldcpu

Reactions
6 21
Nation of residence
Thailand
Nation of origin
Canada
"Additionally, the company's MK20 and MK46 electro-optical (EO) sighting systems are the standard EO narrow field-of-view system for capital ships worldwide. L3Harris provides unmatched imaging from our photonic masts in support of U.S. and Allied Nations. The company leverages its strengths of inherent reliability at the device, component and system level, and coordinates and collaborates throughout the corporation to ensure its products leverage L3Harris' collective knowledge on maritime environments."

... So my updated speculation is this could also be what is being proposed for the River Class destroyer.

I also read in a December 2022 article in Military Aerospace.com that the Mk 20 EOSS purported is utilized with the 5" (127mm) guns aboard the USNavy Arleigh Burke-class destroyers, the Ticoneroga class destroyers, and Coast Guard Offsore Patrol cutter. My understanding is the MK 20 EOSS has technology improvements over the MK-46 OSS.

Further to this speculation, I note an old WarZone article on the Mk20 EOSS which provides more information on its functionality.

As to whether Lockheed Martin/BAE is considering this piece of L3 Harris kit for the River Class Destroyer is pure speculation by myself.

oldcpu

Reactions
6 21
Nation of residence
Thailand
Nation of origin
Canada
3. Lockheed Martin (LM)-Mk 53 Mod 1 Nulka Electronic Warfare Suite System & Anti-Ship Missile (ASM) launchers through FMS/Aegis.

With regards to the Nulka, here is a link to the Lockheed Martin advertising brochure (PDF):

Further to that brochure one can read a defense.info article where purported the Nulka has been used in actual combat

That article also provides a bit more specific information on functionality details that are not as clear in the advertising brochure. It speculates on DRFM, RGPO and VGPO functions possibly being incorporated in the Nulka (but obviously as to whether RGPO/VGPO included is the case, is speculation).

Last edited:
Top Bottom