Contributor
Solutions
Reactions
11 2,991
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
This kind of 'sweet' deals are organized by a middleman. So it is unlikely for TAI to look up a supplier and find them but rather someone was either contacted by the shady supplier or the middleman individually found a cheap titanium and resold it to TAI at huge profit margin.
Ofcourse fill in the blanks and find out why the investigation does not deepen here in TR.
I don't buy that, especially if we were also using or planning on using this titanium on our projects. They should've investigated every single step of the process before committing to anything. I don't know if Kotil being replaced had anything to do with this or not, but heads should most definitely roll over this one if this in any way effects our projects. That is infinitely worse than the damage to TAI's reputation.

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
63 7,883
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Argentina is looking to buy a second hand submarine from a European country. Could be Swedish, Greek, Spanish or even our old Atılays. Being a past Type 209 user, Poseidon or Atılays would have a stronger position. Wonder if Aselsan’s foray into Argentina also includes a refurbished and modernized Atılay as well.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
24 19,055
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
I am not sure selling our old submarines is a good idea until we can build one from 0 to 100% and let it sail around. especially considering the delays we're having.

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
63 7,883
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I am not sure selling our old submarines is a good idea until we can build one from 0 to 100% and let it sail around. especially considering the delays we're having.
Retired ships are not going back into service unless we become Iraq in 1991 in the next year. 2 Ay class boats that didn’t receive any modernization were retired in the last few years and are just waiting to be scrapped.

Bozan

Experienced member
Reactions
5 1,842
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
I don't buy that, especially if we were also using or planning on using this titanium on our projects. They should've investigated every single step of the process before committing to anything. I don't know if Kotil being replaced had anything to do with this or not, but heads should most definitely roll over this one if this in any way effects our projects. That is infinitely worse than the damage to TAI's reputation.

There are some similar posts about other equipment being faulty or fraudulent like these ballistic plates:

Iskander

Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
9 978
Nation of residence
Azerbaijan
Nation of origin
Azerbaijan
Getting titanium through shell companies is not the same as selling low quality titanium, its not even in the same galaxy. It was the Cold War and both sides did shit like that to keep up appearances. This is a horrible fucking look for TAI.
Sorry, for some reason I decided that this titanium was Russian. And I remembered the well-known, big deception of the Russians by the Americans, also connected with titanium. I thought the Russians were trying to carry out some kind of operation to get back at the Americans, which would be understandable given their current hostility.
But here it turns out to be a completely different case.
I admit my mistake. Sorry.

Radonsider

Contributor
Reactions
13 2,604
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Just reading it from NYT's article, it claims that TAI sells the titanium to other companies for them to manufacture parts. As far as I know TAI doesn't resell Ti but use them in-house, I am not aware of any reselling of raw materials.

Also "usually" agreements about parts manufacturering include what products to use and where to get them, it is really a big mistake on Boeings part too if this "adventure" did really happen

Khagan1923

Contributor
Reactions
12 3,922
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Just reading it from NYT's article, it claims that TAI sells the titanium to other companies for them to manufacture parts. As far as I know TAI doesn't resell Ti but use them in-house, I am not aware of any reselling of raw materials.

Also "usually" agreements about parts manufacturering include what products to use and where to get them, it is really a big mistake on Boeings part too if this "adventure" did really happen

Don't know if it happened or not but people here straight jumping to a american news paper smearing, without any real sources, another countries company to protect an american company that is on an rapid decline is weird to me.

Especially one that is developing an fighter jet that is meant to reduce the dependence of an major NATO member to the US. How weird.

Now Boeing can propagandize that all the faults in the hundreds of their airplanes have nothing to do with them but with TAI and congress can sanctions TAI for it. :)

Also NYT is zionist owned and even own real estate in occupied parts of palestine. :)

boredaf

Contributor
Solutions
Reactions
11 2,991
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Now Boeing can propagandize that all the faults in the hundreds of their airplanes have nothing to do with them but with TAI and congress can sanctions TAI for it. :)
This is completely false. You're comparing apples to oranges to fit into a conspiracy theory. Claims against Boeing have nothing to do with the metal they used, it is about their business practices. People would laugh at them with their arses like Ace fucking Ventura if they tried to claim something like that.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
24 19,055
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
Ethics is in free fall, nothing is unrelated. And everything can be used and twisted to smear. It's not the truth that matters, but how much you can force a story unto others.

Like he who shouts the loudest gets to be heard. Believing anything else matters is just BS.

boredaf

Contributor
Solutions
Reactions
11 2,991
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Ethics is in free fall, nothing is unrelated. And everything can be used and twisted to smear. It's not the truth that matters, but how much you can force a story unto others.

Like he who shouts the loudest gets to be heard. Believing anything else matters is just BS.
Bullshit. Blindly trusting our companies are innocent little victims is just stupid. This wasn't just Boeing, Airbus planes were also effected and this didn't even actually come from Boeing, it came from two parts suppliers one in US and another in Italy. The real Chinese company said they haven't sold the titanium and EU and US is both investigating this. TAI got duped and fucked up.

And you know what tells me TAI fucked up %100? Their silence. Not only they refused to comment when asked by NYT but also they haven't made a single comment about an incredibly damaging issue. If the were actually innocent it would've been the easiest thing in the world to prove. Bring out the receipts, as if TAI isn't involved at all or did provide them with required quality of titanium they would definitely have the right stuff. Show them to the world and get ready for the impending apology.

Instead, they turtled up about it because I bet they know they fucked up, perhaps even before those aerospace companies did, and they are getting ready for a lawsuit.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
24 19,055
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
I'm not one to blindly trust in our companies, especially not when politicians and their ilk is involved.

My post doesn't say anything about believing in your own companies either. If they're innocent then they should be able to prove it. But I'm not going to jump the gun because western media starts posting news that may or may not be true.

And considering how much rumours and smearing and such are harmful for our country, and knowing the mechanisms the western media operates. I'm going to give our companies the benefit of doubt, until proven otherwise.

boredaf

Contributor
Solutions
Reactions
11 2,991
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
western media starts posting news that may or may not be true.
Mate, in aerospace industry everything is meticulously written down and paper trails can easily be followed, ask anyone who worked in any company dealing with that. This would be an utterly insane thing to try to lie about because it would take 5 minutes to disprove by TAI and the firm they bought the titanium from to prove that they didn't sell counterfeit titanium.

You say you're not blindly trusting our companies but claiming Western companies might be lying without any proof comes down to same thing in the end.

boredaf

Contributor
Solutions
Reactions
11 2,991
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
On a more defence export related news:

30 million dollar light weapons sale from MKE

Machinery and Chemical Industry (MKE) signed an agreement worth 30 million dollars for the American Market at Eurosatory, one of the world's leading defense industry fairs. The agreement, which includes the sale of semi-automatic light weapons, is of serious importance in terms of contributing to MKE's growth targets in the international market and strengthening its presence in the American market.

Edit: Savunmasanayist had more information:

Machinery and Chemical Industry (MKE) signed a contract worth $30 million with CENTURY ARMS regarding arms exports to the USA. Founded in 1961, Century International Arms is known as a firearms importer and manufacturer based in the United States. The company produces G3, L1A1, AK-47 and sportified Mauser rifles, among others, and also imports Turkish-made Canik pistols.

Last edited:

corsair255

Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Meanwhile....
Congrats to Havelsan.
An edited English translation from the original link in Turkish.

HAVELSAN Wins the Tender for the Modernization of the Romanian Integrated Maritime Border Surveillance System Project.

FIRST EXPORT TO ROMANIA

While Romania's existing SCOMAR system is operational, new technology radars, electro-optic systems, and information technology equipment will be replaced and equipped with HAVELSAN's MATRA Coastal Surveillance and Vessel Traffic Management Software without any service interruption.

The system, planned to be delivered within 24 months, will be managed from the center of the Romanian Coast Guard Command in Constanta, located on Romania's Black Sea coast.

The system will create a live maritime picture within a 100 nautical mile area covering Romania's regional, intermediate, and exclusive economic zones along the Black Sea coast, providing maritime situational awareness to law enforcement agencies.

Enhancing capabilities in coastal surveillance and border control, search and rescue operations, combating smuggling, irregular migration, and illegal fishing, the system will facilitate information exchange with national bodies such as Maritime and Port Security, Maritime Customs Control, Maritime Environmental Protection and Awareness, Search and Rescue at Sea, and Fisheries Monitoring/Control Units.

Link:

Last edited:

valarmogu

Reactions
1 116
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom