Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
59 7,514
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
@Knowledgeseeker heard about this? No idea who the guy is but it's very specific.

1705422920941.png

Better link:

Knowledgeseeker

Experienced member
Arab Moderator
Morocco Moderator
Reactions
16 4,401
Nation of residence
Norway
Nation of origin
Moroco
@Knowledgeseeker heard about this? No idea who the guy is but it's very specific.

View attachment 64786

Better link:

I have seen the second link you sent, but I'm not aware of the deal.

Kartal1

Experienced member
Lead Moderator
Reactions
81 16,487
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey
Ethiopia's Akıncı was delivered. Surely hoping it won't go sniffing around in places it shouldn't go.

I am thinking sometimes about how wise is to sell these to African countries.

For example the situation with Ethiopia:

Ethiopia supported the independence of Somaliland and Somalia reacted harshly by stating that the Somalian Army is ready for an armed conflict with Ethiopia over their decision. Turkiye has strategic relationship with Somalia and Somalia is hosting a Turkish military base.

We also sold TB-2's to Mali which are now unofficially in Wagner's hands.

Agha Sher

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
10 9,114
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Afghanistan
I am thinking sometimes about how wise is to sell these to African countries.

For example the situation with Ethiopia:

Ethiopia supported the independence of Somaliland and Somalia reacted harshly by stating that the Somalian Army is ready for an armed conflict with Ethiopia over their decision. Turkiye has strategic relationship with Somalia and Somalia is hosting a Turkish military base.

We also sold TB-2's to Mali which are now unofficially in Wagner's hands.

Your last comment regarding TB-2 being in Wagner's hands has been disproven over and over again. There is no truth in that statement.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,744
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
What exactly is disproved? That TB-2 and Wagner are deployed at the Sevare air base?
I agree that we should have waited and seen how capable the countries are themselves (their own soldiers and not mercenaries) before proceeding to export more advanced platforms, especially aerial platforms.

TB2 alone is quite effective and has been a door opener in many cases. But it should be connected with export of more ground vehicles and such.

Kartal1

Experienced member
Lead Moderator
Reactions
81 16,487
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey
I agree that we should have waited and seen how capable the countries are themselves (their own soldiers and not mercenaries) before proceeding to export more advanced platforms, especially aerial platforms.

TB2 alone is quite effective and has been a door opener in many cases. But it should be connected with export of more ground vehicles and such.
It is a problem that we may end up seeing Akinci UCAVs bombing Somali soldiers that we trained in Turkiye. That's what I am trying to say.

We went on selling these technologies so they can help in the fight against terrorism, but left a serious gap by not bounding the parties in any way regarding how they use them. Too bad that we don't have the capacity to join their efforts in fighting terrorism in the area while this vacuum is being filled by the Russians. By not exerting our influence over them we lose a lot. For example the situation with Ethiopia. If we had the power we would've pressed them to refrain from positions like these and would've preventing the rise of tension in the region.

Ripley

Contributor
USA Correspondent
Reactions
12 1,512
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
It is a problem that we may end up seeing Akinci UCAVs bombing Somali soldiers that we trained in Turkiye. That's what I am trying to say.

We went on selling these technologies so they can help in the fight against terrorism, but left a serious gap by not bounding the parties in any way regarding how they use them. Too bad that we don't have the capacity to join their efforts in fighting terrorism in the area while this vacuum is being filled by the Russians. By not exerting our influence over them we lose a lot. For example the situation with Ethiopia. If we had the power we would've pressed them to refrain from positions like these and would've preventing the rise of tension in the region.
Do we know the conditions in the deal? Could there be maybe some restrictive conditions for the use of the systems? 🤔

Kartal1

Experienced member
Lead Moderator
Reactions
81 16,487
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey
Do we know the conditions in the deal? Could there be maybe some restrictive conditions for the use of the systems? 🤔
I doubt it as we are marketing our systems as free of conditions and restrictions.

Next to the good price-performance balance there is no political bounding coming with these. Political bounding comes with our advisors that are on field in Somalia, Libya and Azerbaijan for example.

Philip the Arab

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
4 2,222
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Jordan
Why do I have a feeling that Desert Sting-16 is just a MAM with a French laser seeker?
It isn’t, it’s a South African design that Tawazun Dynamics contracted them to design as a product that they would produce in the UAE years ago. It’s called P2 and there was a lot of controversy over its IP being stolen.

From another article

P2 was developed with Denel Dynamics in South Africa to the level of a demonstrator, after which HALCON made 11 changes to the version produced in the UAE, which translated to Desert Sting-16, says Al Mansoori.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom