Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,767
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey

Ziraat Bank bought the loss-making company of MUSIAD

Article is in Turkish, but the gist of it is Why the bank would buy a 51% share of a company that keeps losing money.

Stuka

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
5 4,538
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Turkey’s economy is expected to have grown around 20% in the second quarter of this year and will expand more in 2021 than the government forecast of 5.8%, Treasury and Finance Minister Lütfi Elvan said Friday.

The strong rate of growth in the second quarter will largely be thanks to the so-called base effect due to a nearly 10% contraction in the April-June period of 2020.

Speaking to businesses in the southern city of Gaziantep, Elvan said a recent acceleration in COVID-19 vaccinations would support tourism and the services sector.

“We expect double-digit growth in the second quarter of the year due to a strong base effect. We expect a growth of around 20%,” he said.

It is expected to reach the highest export figure in the history of the Republic in June.​

Turkish Exporters Assembly (TIM) President İsmail Gülle stated that this year will be the year of Turkey's growth in exports and said, "I hope we will announce the highest export in the history of the Republic in June. Naturally, all these figures will lead us to an export of over 200 billion dollars at the end of the year." said. Gülle, who came to Antalya to participate in the leather fair held in a hotel in Belek Tourism Center, stated that the fair, where the leading companies of the leather sector meet, will make a positive contribution to the sector and leather exports as the intense demands are met. Explaining that they saw not only tourists but also the business world in Turkey with the lifting of the flight restriction from Russia, Gülle expressed that they were happy with the rapid recovery of the leather industry.

Emphasizing that Turkey's exports achieved significant success despite the epidemic, Gülle said: "This year is Turkey's growth year in exports. Especially, our output that started from the sixth month of the last year after the epidemic continues. We announced a record last month. I hope we will announce the highest exports in the history of the Republic in June. Naturally, all these figures will lead us to an export of over 200 billion dollars at the end of the year. It was very important for us to pass 200 billion dollars psychologically. We stayed at 100 billion dollars for many years. "

"THE NEXT TARGET IS TO EXCEED 300 BILLION DOLLARS"

Gülle stated that after 200 billion dollars of exports exceeded, with new investments, the country would go to much bigger goals. Pointing out that their next target is to export 300 billion dollars and more, Gülle said, "I believe that it will be easier to achieve these targets now. Because Turkey is now a reliable and important supplier. It has shown this to friends, enemies and everyone. The epidemic could not prevent our production and exports." he said. Pointing to the importance of material and moral support given to production and exports, Gülle stated that they gave their support in exports with records.

Comparison:

1624970132869.png

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,767
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
I believe they’re neglecting to mention how weak the lira is. But it would be interesting to see how the export is divided in sectors.

Lool

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
11 4,732
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Albania
I believe they’re neglecting to mention how weak the lira is. But it would be interesting to see how the export is divided in sectors.
In fact the current numbers is thanks to the lira being weak

However, as living in turkey is dependent on imports, it does screw the ppl as well
There need to be a balance
Iam in favour of 1 US to equal around 5-6 at max

T

Turko

In order to produce and export , you have to import raw materials and energy that are sold by USD( which is 8.7 lira )in global market.
labour cost is 20-30% of Turkish products so 20% of decrease in USD currency wouldnt effect on major export. Because you would also able to get raw materials and energy cheaper which are cost of 60-70% products.

The stronger the Turkish Lira, The stronger the Turkish industry.

Last edited by a moderator:

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,068
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
The next gaming unicorn in Turkey is called Dream games.

And its partly former employees of Peak games, which was bough for almost 2bln Dollar. As I said back then, these take overs and buyouts are good. They bring in currency and these talented people will start working on new ideas with way better funding.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,767
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
The next gaming unicorn in Turkey is called Dream games.

And its partly former employees of Peak games, which was bough for almost 2bln Dollar. As I said back then, these take overs and buyouts are good. They bring in currency and these talented people will start working on new ideas with way better funding.
Sooner or later they'll run out of ideas. So in my perspective short term gains for long term loss.

I know it's not the creators problem, but I think it would be beneficial if someone with real understanding of this created a investment fond that had solid management with the purpose of maximizing profit. e.g. reference Candy Crush which is still Swedish.

The end of free market nearing ?

Lool

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
11 4,732
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Albania

It depends
If their main job is to ensure that sellers dont abuse the drop in currency value, fair competition, and price stability of basic goods for the needs of the ppl only then it is a good thing as many sellers were abusing the economic fallout
If they overstepped their boundaries then it might ruin competiton and creativity; thus, destroying everything

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,767
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
It depends
If their main job is to ensure that sellers dont abuse the drop in currency value, fair competition, and price stability of basic goods for the needs of the ppl only then it is a good thing as many sellers were abusing the economic fallout
If they overstepped their boundaries then it might ruin competiton and creativity; thus, destroying everything
When a product costs 100 USD to make, and you have to sell it in TL the inflation and the instability plays a big part in the prices.

In a free market with fair competition meaning non monopoly situation the prices will adjust accordingly depending on consumption etc.

By making this committee the government is going to enforce prices on products, which is going to result in loss for the producers. So why should they sell to internal market for loss when they can sell abroad and get paid in USD. Government control, end of free market.

And while they're doing that they'll scream we're a free market, no interfering with CB. Like Elvan apparently did according to the article. Sounds very hollow in my ears.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,173
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
You are allowed to stabilize the market in every way you can.
Call it what ever you want.
It is only the result that counts.
It is a way to prevent the economy from hostile interference from outsiders that weaponize weaknesses in economy.
Economy does not live with rhetoric, it lives on results.

mulj

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Sooner or later they'll run out of ideas. So in my perspective short term gains for long term loss.

I know it's not the creators problem, but I think it would be beneficial if someone with real understanding of this created a investment fond that had solid management with the purpose of maximizing profit. e.g. reference Candy Crush which is still Swedish.

i split opinion on this, generally it is not good idea but for certain purposes i can support this kind of decision, primarily reason is that Turkey does not have impact and control on stock markets for various commodities and currency is not stable and globally influencial, and that create lot of muddy space for speculation to gain easy money, so this can serve as short term stabilization measure but only if is for that i support it.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,767
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
i split opinion on this, generally it is not good idea but for certain purposes i can support this kind of decision, primarily reason is that Turkey does not have impact and control on stock markets for various commodities and currency is not stable and globally influencial, and that create lot of muddy space for speculation to gain easy money, so this can serve as short term stabilization measure but only if is for that i support it.
Any kind of control will be abused, and it will just increase.

If Turkey isn't a free market, then FDI will not come. To get FDI RTE and AKP will promise PPP and favourable terms. Let's just say 5-15% return on Investment in USD.

So while they get money to build their projects the economy will suffer. The contracts are bindings so the cost of paying back that will just increase. When the economy worsens and TL loses value, the people will have even less value between their hands.

RTE and AKP will force low prices on producers for consumers, which is not sustainable since no one wants to run production if they can't earn money. Regres Regres Regres.

While RTE and AKP maintains their build build build mantra. You borrow 1 B USD and have to pay 4 B USD.......

mulj

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Any kind of control will be abused, and it will just increase.

If Turkey isn't a free market, then FDI will not come. To get FDI RTE and AKP will promise PPP and favourable terms. Let's just say 5-15% return on Investment in USD.

So while they get money to build their projects the economy will suffer. The contracts are bindings so the cost of paying back that will just increase. When the economy worsens and TL loses value, the people will have even less value between their hands.

RTE and AKP will force low prices on producers for consumers, which is not sustainable since no one wants to run production if they can't earn money. Regres Regres Regres.

While RTE and AKP maintains their build build build mantra. You borrow 1 B USD and have to pay 4 B USD.......
that is i said why have reservation for announced measure, it is hard to balance between what you mentioned and internal standard of citizens, i suppose as emerging economy you can not have both at same time without repercusions.

Test7

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
18 19,918
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
The market value of the Getir became $7.5 billion. And now in Spain.

This is an incredible achievement and proof of how important software is. Turkish schools are full of unnecessary compulsory courses. I'm ashamed to have drawn houses, trees, birds etc in high school (highschool, not elementary !!!). System wanted me to sing even though I had a bad voice..and these lessons were unfortunately compulsory :cautious:

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,767
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
Ordinary High schools should perhaps be abolished and only allow high schools with either tech or economic lines.

mulj

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Ordinary High schools should perhaps be abolished and only allow high schools with either tech or economic lines.
No, that would be disaster for university level of education, general high schools with special attention to math,physics, chemistry, sociology and other primary subjects are best seminary for univerities as pupils develope broader knowledge and could feel which orientation will they choose for univerisity degree.
Those kind of schools are hard but best for forming adequate intelects.

Last edited:

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom