Arab Moderator
Morocco Moderator
Reactions
16 4,408
Nation of residence
Norway
Nation of origin
Moroco
I read that the cost of the 160 f16 produced in the 80s had a cost of 4 billion USD. If the amount is right then what is the reason? I would guess that the reason would probably be because the fighter jets were produced in turkey with lower salaries and materials. 4 billion dollars in 1983 when the program started would be the equivalent of 12 billion today.

MADDOG

Contributor
Türkiye Correspondent
Professional
Reactions
31 7,977
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Cyprus
20221105_152020.jpg

(pic taken from me standing in front of the headquarters)

NOTE: Taking pictures inside the TF-X's assembly facilities is strictly prohibited. Taking pictures of Hürjet's assembly is also prohibited.

Locations visited:
-Hürjet
-F-16 structural and Özgür mod area
-MMU

HÜRJET
-Two prototypes are on the final assembly line. The number will increase to 4. There are two open slots for 2 more Hürjet fuselages.
-Piping and final assembly work in general takes A LOT of time and effort. The canopy and the tail section has gone on and off multiple times. It's all being handmade so this was expected.
-Hürjet will feature an Italian radar.
-Some crucial avionics have not arrived as of yet.
-Hürjet is set to feature a HMD.
-Hürjet's final assembly will be completed in a couple of months. Around the same time with the MMU.
-F-404's have been delivered and further deliveries are arriving as we speak. No delays or embargoes regarding the engines are expected.
-The aircraft stationed towards the right is the flying prototype, the one on the left will be used for static testing and it has its dedicated engine mock-up 🥺.
-No delays right now. Everything going according to plan. The assembly is also not going slowly, as per TAI officials.

F-16 Özgür
-There is a single Özgür prototype. It is not always stationed at TAI facilities.
-The Özgür program has gone serial! Which means the F-16's stationed there will undergo the Özgür modernization package.
-No major delays regarding the program as a whole. There is a small delay in place regarding the first aircraft waiting to be delivered. It must be noted that the Turkish Air Force is responsible for the inspection of the aircraft.
-First deliveries still expected in 2022.
-AESA integration planned in 2023.
-HMD will be developed.

MMU
-There is one aircraft being assembled. And that is the GTU-0. Like aforementioned, no RAM paint.
-Forward fuselage, mid fuselage, mid-aft fuselage (includes wing assemblies) are all completed. Aft fuselage is nearing completion.
-The canopy has been delivered.
-The forward fuselage will be transferred to the final assembly line in a VERY VERY VERY VERY short time. No pictures will be posted.
-Much of the crucial systems will be present during rollout. Certain systems such as the HMD, IRST, EOTS and other systems aren't expected to be there at first.
-TAI is using unorthodox techniques and technologies while assembling the aircraft. I'm not allowed to give insight on any of these.
-Even TAI technicians on sight were surprised to see how fast the program was moving forward. Assembly work is certainly moving at an incredibly fast pace.
-There are around 200 technicians on sight.
-The MMU hangar has transformed from an empty warehouse with a half-built FF, to a genuine assembly facility. This, I can proudly confirm.
-F-110's on sight. No delays expected for the rest of the deliveries.
-Certainly no delays to the program as things stand.

Other info obtained:
-Hürkuş will be delivered. TurAF simply has very high standards. The aircraft is not hampered by any critical issues.
-Hürkuş 2's CDR has been completed. I can confirm it will have a composite fuselage 😑
-The jet powered UAV... Not much to be seen unfortunately. They are certainly producing parts. And its assembly will be made at the dedicated UAV area.
-ATAK-2's assembly is going well. Most of the fuselage is not being made by TAI themselves. The company in question will deliver the fuselage and final assembly will start.

EDIT: Was set to visit MMU's simulator. But it's being managed by TurAF themselves and it was going through maintenance. So that didn't happen.

zio

Reactions
4 456
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
What about the F-16 block 30 s building for extra 4000 hr life,are they completed?

MADDOG

Contributor
Türkiye Correspondent
Professional
Reactions
31 7,977
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Cyprus
What about the F-16 block 30 s building for extra 4000 hr life,are they completed?
The aircraft go through structural modifications first. Later on, Özgür is applied. Some of the F-16's were awaiting structural upgrades.

zio

Reactions
4 456
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
The aircraft go through structural modifications first. Later on, Özgür is applied. Some of the F-16's were awaiting structural upgrades.
Structural upgrade is going so slowly,without it forget özgür project.There wll be some 10 of the F16B30 upgraded TAF in Eskişehir also,but no news heared till now.

MADDOG

Contributor
Türkiye Correspondent
Professional
Reactions
31 7,977
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Cyprus
Structural upgrade is going so slowly,without it forget özgür project.There wll be some 10 of the F16B30 upgraded TAF in Eskişehir also,but no news heared till now.
Well... TAI has higher priority projects. But it's not going super slowly, no.

zio

Reactions
4 456
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Many years passed only 8 aircraft upgraded,it is exactly super slow,özgür project is delayed but its ok its very hard,but again structural upgrade is not hard to do.

MADDOG

Contributor
Türkiye Correspondent
Professional
Reactions
31 7,977
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Cyprus
Many years passed only 8 aircraft upgraded,it is exactly super slow,özgür project is delayed but its ok its very hard,but again structural upgrade is not hard to do.
Özgür isn't a delayed program if I'm being honest with you. It is also worth mentioning that the structural upgrades were being done long before the mass production decision for the Özgür program was taken. I wouldn't say they only upgraded "8 aircraft".

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
65 7,610
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
There is an embargo imposed, yes. Didn't get the latest news from the T-70's as I wasn't at the helicopter division today.
But if I remember correctly they said, caasta would not include any existing contract!

And also, didn't TEI delivered 50 engine already? If the sanction is implemented on T70, how engine production still ongoing ?

Brokengineer

Committed member
Reactions
1 480
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Engines are made by tei which is ge partner. Tei and ge does tech transfer, they have an interdependent mutual relationship. For TAI and sikorsky, TAI is mostly bounded to Sikorsky support. That could be main problem.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
65 7,610
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Engines are made by tei which is ge partner. Tei and ge does tech transfer, they have an interdependent mutual relationship. For TAI and sikorsky, TAI is mostly bounded to Sikorsky support. That could be main problem.
GE also bounded by us government's legislations.

Fighter_35

Contributor
Reactions
1 739
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
It is mentioned by several times that first t-70 will be delivered before 2022 ends, so even with sanctions we will be getting our Sikorskies as i remember

Rajendra Chola

Committed member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Canada
Nation of origin
India
Well we don't know much about the Hürkuş ordeal either. TAI is managing so many programs at the same time. The fact that HAL has only produced a handful of parts for the AMCA proves my point (correct me if I'm wrong but they're waiting for state approval as far as I know). There are two Hürjet prototypes on the final assembly line right now, doing all of this within a couple of months is impressive on its own right. It should also be mentioned that TAI, doesn't have experience designing supersonic aircraft. It's even more impressive in this regard. I'm also not mentioning the MMU, which will be transported to the final assembly line in the not too distant future. So TAI is relatively fast when you consider everything. Being too fast on the other hand, is NOT AT ALL ideal. We are going to hand these products over to our test pilots and to the Air Force later on. You can't take ANY shortcuts!

True. Real AMCA development hasn’t been sanctioned by GoI yet. But initial feed money for testing has been allocated by DRDO from its internal funds. One A-319 plane will be used to test AMCA radar and other avionics.

AMCA funds are expected to be sanctioned this year.

MADDOG

Contributor
Türkiye Correspondent
Professional
Reactions
31 7,977
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Cyprus
True. Real AMCA development hasn’t been sanctioned by GoI yet. But initial feed money for testing has been allocated by DRDO from its internal funds. One A-319 plane will be used to test AMCA radar and other avionics.

AMCA funds are expected to be sanctioned this year.
Yes, thank you for bringing clarity. Good luck on the AMCA.

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,099
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Please dont panic buy any used EF tranche 1 without any sustainable upgrade path already included in the deal.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom