YeşilVatan

Contributor
Reactions
10 1,266
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I think the air force would go with TFX + Kızılelma + various drones, but keep a sizeable number of Hurjets around for diversification.

The real opportunity here is the export potential. We can build the airforces of african nations from scratch. NATO quality with Russian prices. Make a lot of money sellng parts and missiles. Real profit would be making westerners mad tho...

Baryshx

Contributor
Reactions
8 2,037
Website
www.twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I think the air force would go with TFX + Kızılelma + various drones, but keep a sizeable number of Hurjets around for diversification.

The real opportunity here is the export potential. We can build the airforces of african nations from scratch. NATO quality with Russian prices. Make a lot of money sellng parts and missiles. Real profit would be making westerners mad tho...
If we do not count the F16s for the future, I think the air force will go with TF-X + Hürjet + various drones.

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
78 10,757
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
If we do not count the F16s for the future, I think the air force will go with TF-X + Hürjet + various drones.
If we define the Hurjet as a low-cost light attack type and the MMU as the main combatant representing the highest capability point, I think these two programs will represent two classes, not two aircraft. In other words, I predict that both programs will fork and produce variants with serious differences between each other. Therefore, there may be more than 2 combat platforms in terms of type, for next 30 years.

I have two main grounds for thinking this way. First, it seems that the Turkish air force will completely end foreign procurement by the 2030s, especially for combat platforms. In other words, every combat platform requirement of the force (from the navy to the air force) will be shaped and developed domestically according to the specific requirements and doctrine structure of the force. The force planning of the Turkish Air Force, which is completely dependent on foreign procurement, must be different from the procurement planning that will be put forward when the Turkish Air Force is able to meet all its needs through domestic development.

Secondly, the Turkish aviation industry, under the leadership of Baykar and TAI, will have an export-oriented growth strategy. Based on the current market focus of this strategy, the emphasis is on providing capabilities to countries that have not been able to obtain anything from western suppliers for one reason or another. In other words, after reaching a certain level of infrastructure, these companies can enrich their options to offer B-grade solutions to countries that cannot access A-grade systems.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,413
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
If we define the Hurjet as a low-cost light attack type and the MMU as the main combatant representing the highest capability point, I think these two programs will represent two classes, not two aircraft. In other words, I predict that both programs will fork and produce variants with serious differences between each other. Therefore, there may be more than 2 combat platforms in terms of type, for next 30 years.

I have two main grounds for thinking this way. First, it seems that the Turkish air force will completely end foreign procurement by the 2030s, especially for combat platforms. In other words, every combat platform requirement of the force (from the navy to the air force) will be shaped and developed domestically according to the specific requirements and doctrine structure of the force. The force planning of the Turkish Air Force, which is completely dependent on foreign procurement, must be different from the procurement planning that will be put forward when the Turkish Air Force is able to meet all its needs through domestic development.

Secondly, the Turkish aviation industry, under the leadership of Baykar and TAI, will have an export-oriented growth strategy. Based on the current market focus of this strategy, the emphasis is on providing capabilities to countries that have not been able to obtain anything from western suppliers for one reason or another. In other words, after reaching a certain level of infrastructure, these companies can enrich their options to offer B-grade solutions to countries that cannot access A-grade systems.
In my opinion, ( it may sound radical ) TFX along with KE will have much bigger and broader geopolitical impact than its sole and primary implications for the national security of Turkish nation state.

Meaning, not just only it will give TAF a decisive military advantage in the Mediterranean and ME thus changing the balance of power in the regional geopolitical landscape, but also it will have the similar effect on other regions of the world where friendly and brotherly countries are gonna procure this aircaft.

In a nutshell, unlike f22, su57 and j20 TFX will have global impact for Turkey and its allies like the way f35 is doing right now for US and its allies.

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
113 14,789
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Most important ongoing projects we have at the moment are based on; Will, Shall, Going to.
They all relate to engines.
We need engines for our tanks and armoured vehicles.
We need engines for our TFX, Hurjet, KE and TISU
We need engines for our Sea vessels - both Diesel and Gas turbines

We are at the right track and working hard to achieve Engine Independence. Until we do we will have stumbling blocks in our way to full military independence.

Batu, Utku, TF6000, TF10000, TF20000, TF35000 are just as vital as gas turbine engines and marine Diesel engines together with lithium ion and AIP propulsion for our sea platforms.
Indigenisation of our military engine industry is the one most vital project we must have that is a matter of life and death. And we are at the beginning of it. Unfortunately we need it completed like yesterday.

If we are going to cut corners to achieve completion of some of these projects we must act now. Like engines for TFX and Hurjet with RR.
KE and TISU will be big assets for us. But depending on war-torn Ukraine to supply engines is not the correct way to go forward.
I hope those people at the top who make the decisions, are holding these matters above politics and money making endeavours.

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
113 14,789
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Dear Yaşar what is Tf 20 000? Engine for Hurjet?
It is. as there should be one!
I had rather they produced one in house than depending on supply from GE.
We know that there is an indigenous Hurjet Engine design in TEI computers. But not a priority at the moment as mentioned by I Demir.

Last edited:

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
7 7,186
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
We are counting months to engine milestones with TF6000. We have passed the 60% realization state on our engine development work overall. We will know what we are made of in the year 2023.

Ripley

Contributor
USA Correspondent
Reactions
12 1,512
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
Why does the US, when it comes to Türkiye, make statements which look like they've been written by a 12-year old mentally challenged kid?
Because those statements are dictated by brain dead old farts who passed even their andropause/menopause cycles decades ago and are assumed old wise veterans after spending their good twenty to forty years at Capitol Hill with horse blinders on their eyes, convincing themselves that they are as good as the characters from the tv show West Wing.

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,706
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Now, all we have to do is request F-16s create turmoil in the US Congress, and after the deal passes from Congress, we should buy EF-2000 instead. That will be a good answer.

Brokengineer

Committed member
Reactions
1 480
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
A 40 f16, 24 ef2000 split could be a good option as well. If one of them does not works, proceed with other. Although, both of them will make around 10b usd deal.
Still there is a problem called Menendez.

Kedikesenfare

Reactions
1 797
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Nothing is going to happen before the election next year. It's US policy to not process any major military-related deals before important elections in the recipient country has been successfully passed.

In another words: don't be too excited about the recent news. We'll receive the last batch of F16s probably when they're actually technologically obsolete...

All energy, funds, time and dedication should be channeled towards TFX. It's our only real alternative even if we can't export it immediately (which I don't believe).

To me, TFX is first and foremost a project to gain significant technological advancements. The R&D output of the TFX project will influence every single project of ours in the long term. A giant in the making. Plus, it will radically alter our image globally.

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,090
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
There are almost 10 years to bridge till our squadrons of TF-X and Hürjets fly.

Kedikesenfare

Reactions
1 797
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
There are almost 10 years to bridge till our squadrons of TF-X and Hürjets fly.
After witnessing the incredible pace of work, I'm not sure about this anymore. Also, we should take into account the quality factor. One TFX in the skies is more worth than one F16.

bisbis

Contributor
Reactions
2 718
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Azerbaijan
ABD, Türkiye'ye F16 satışı için tüm ön koşulları kaldırdı
Yes, these proposals were removed from the army budget draft. However, the local official procedures of the USA still continue.

Their government will send letters to the Senate for sale. If there is no objection to this government decision for a certain period of time, the decision will be passed automatically.

But if there is an objection, then the discussion about the decision will be opened.
Here, the Greek media have recently drawn attention to this issue, claiming that Senator Menendez will prevent this government decision.

So nothing is clear yet.

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,090
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
After witnessing the incredible pace of work, I'm not sure about this anymore. Also, we should take into account the quality factor. One TFX in the skies is more worth than one F16.

There's an English saying: one bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

F16 are combat proven, TF-X is still in development. It's better to have the F16 and not need them, instead of needing them urgently because of unexpected delays in the development of TF-X and then beeing in even deeper trouble because the neighbouring countries are now flying F35.

Plan for the worst, not for the best.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom