Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
116 14,899
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
so doesnt it seems then, MURAD wouldnt be able to operate at more than 60/70 percent of its actual capability! likely around 17kw/18kw.
@Yasar what is your opinion on the likely limitation of f110 engine's electricity generation does limiting MURADs ability?
Beauty of GaN T/R modules is the fact that they are more efficient. They don’t need to have large power supplies.
Also remember that Aesa radar technology is ever evolving and becoming cheaper and more compact.
US‘s Raytheon has already developed an Aesa radar with GaN modules that is as powerful as Apg-79 of F/A-18 Super Hornet. But using 65% of the power, only weighing at 45kg (a third of the apg-79) but giving 100% of the performance of the Apg-79 and costing half of it.
The whole idea of Apg-83 SABR was to fit it on to F16s without the need for any upgrades to power generation and other electronics. If F16’s can handle SABR, it should be able to accommodate Murad too.
1668377564184.png

zio

Reactions
4 456
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I remember the day of the first cirit missile fire,we had laser seeker tech.Now iwe use it on every missiles,rokets even on Mk series bombs.Near future many missiles will have GaN tech seeker,Hisar,siper,gökdoğan,gökhan,atmaca etc…Lets think about it,they will have more range,more resistance to EW,and less time to pitbull period,more survival for carrier platform,less survival to enemy platform,makes a huge advantage.

MADDOG

Contributor
Türkiye Correspondent
Professional
Reactions
31 7,977
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Cyprus
by tilting the radar at an angle, theoretically they could increase the no. of TR modules
View attachment 50431
the question of whether the Rafale's engines would be able to generate power for a more power consuming radar is there.
The radome area would need to be compatible. For instance the entire shape of the nose cone is different as you see. This is the case with many stealth aircraft out there (F-35, F-22, J-20, J-35, TF-X etc.). Su-57 might be the only exception. The F-35 looks to have enough space regardless but can the same thing be said about the Rafale? A re-design to the nose cone might be required. I don't think they would be able to get away with simply twisting the radar on the aircraft.

Cabatli_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
80 45,486
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
It is getting a bit repetitive and boring to hear “ ours has superior capabilities compared to it’s counterparts” statements for every new piece of equipment we make.
Let’s be more humble and let the equipment speak for itself, like the TB2 has. Also like now, both Anka and Aksungur finding new customers overseas, thus proving their worth.

We all know that Murad Aesa radar, with almost same number of T/R modules as the Apg83 radar, should definitely be superior to the Apg83, for the simple fact that it has higher performance GaN modules. That is logical.

But we don’t really know what superiority the Gökhan missile will have over the Meteor. If it is the very fact that the gel based fuel system will provide a more controlled throattability, and thus longer cruise ranges, then yes; May be it is going to be superior to Meteor.
But due to the need for a separate fuel tank for the Gel based liquid fuel, there will be a weight and space deficit to be content with. This could increase size and overall weight of the missile.
Seeker head technology to be used in Gokhan could be more advanced than Meteor’s. Currently Meteor uses a very advanced active radar seeker head with two way datalink. But this technology dates back to the mid 90’s. So ours should contain newer and more sophisticated seeker tech. May be even detect targets off-boresight, making it more difficult to defend against.
So in order to break the monotonous “ours is better than” statements; If we could just explain why it is so as well, it would make it more credible and understandable.

Just a thought!

Bro, My opinion is a bit different from general expectation about Gokhan. I think that with Gokhan project, Turkiye is aiming one step beyond the technology that Europe developed with state of art Meteor missile. Of course, there will be two way data-link on Gokhan or jamming resistant active radar seeker will be very advanced but these technologies are already subcomponents that are used all over the world in similar missiles and have more or less similar features or working in similar frequency bands so Turkiye can't make a difference by using these technology even if Turkiye is in a very good place in this field.

Therefore, I think the subject where the Gokhan missile will make a real difference will be No-Escape Zone range, which will have longer than Meteor I believe. I expect Gokhan's No-Escape Zone range to be around 80-100km. In this aspect, with Gokhan missile I think that Turkiye is not developing a Meteor equivalent but more or less China's extra long-range Pl-21. With Gokdogan Blk-2 or 3 with 4,5 Mach speed, Turkiye will have gained capability to do what Meteor does. This is my thought about Gokhan bro.

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
116 14,899
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Therefore, I think the subject where the Gokhan missile will make a real difference will be No-Escape Zone range, which will have longer than Meteor I believe.
I agree with your belief.
Although it is easier to design a liquid fuelled ramjet, we probably designed this missile to have a liquid fuel ramjet engine on purpose to achieve better control of fuel flow and achieve longer range at cruise speeds. When a ramjet like Meteor with solid fuel uses it’s fuel that is stuck on the periphery of the combustion chamber, gradually the chamber volume becomes larger and this affects the thrust generated. Control of throttle is very difficult to achieve regular thrust during cruise portion of the missile’s flight.
With a gel based liquid fuel, whilst having all the advantages of solid fuels, the ramjet in Gökhan will be using this fuel more efficiently and with more control, particularly, during cruising. This will give more range and more available fuel for the terminal phase, thus extending the ”no-escape zone”.

Last edited:

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
7 7,214
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
There is a method of cooling used in satellites called standing wave cooling or something, most effective, should be studied for radar cooling. It is similar to heating with microwave but it is used for cooling.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
65 7,615
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
I agree with your belief.
Although it is easier to design a liquid fuelled ramjet, we probably designed this missile to have a liquid fuel ramjet engine on purpose to achieve better control of fuel flow and achieve longer range at cruise speeds. When a ramjet like Meteor with solid fuel uses it’s fuel that is stuck on the periphery of the combustion chamber, gradually the chamber volume becomes larger and this affects the thrust generated. Control of throttle is very difficult to achieve regular thrust during cruise portion of the missile’s flight.
With a gel based liquid fuel, whilst having all the advantages of solid fuels, the ramjet in Gökhan will be using this fuel more efficiently and with more control, particularly, during cruising. This will give more range and more available fuel for the terminal phase, thus extending the ”no-escape zone”.
i heard from a more or less a credible source that, meteor has four seperate pulses and motor burn time of 50/60 second.
First it accelerate to mach 4. than it super cruise at speed of mach 3 till it engage the target in skid to turn mode.

MADDOG

Contributor
Türkiye Correspondent
Professional
Reactions
31 7,977
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Cyprus
Their high end twin engine fighter aircraft will be Boeing F-15EX. As a matter of fact, Demir & TAI claimed that the initial block of TF-X would be a 4.5 gen combat aircraft. That doesn't sound like TF-X will be a full-blown stealth aircraft from get-go. However, I understand that Turkey desperately needs a financial partner to complete the project. Interesting to see that Turkish have so much faith in the company has not successfully delievered a single turbo engine-powered & manned indigenous fighter aircraft
Hürkuş isn't a problematic aircraft. There are reasons why the Air Force won't induct them into service. It would be hilarious to single-handedly blame TAI on this without grasping the subject in its entirety. Also it seems you're terribly underestimating TAI as a company. Friendly advise, don't...

Baryshx

Contributor
Reactions
8 2,039
Website
www.twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
There are new demands. The body material of the first Hürkuş is aluminum, but the new Hürkuş has a composite body, etc. different requests.

It's been a long time since Hürkuş finished, but now they are thinking how to get him into space.:D:p

Tusaş/TAI Aircraft Group Product Director Nezaket Güneri Orbay talks about the prominent features of HÜRKUŞ and its differences from other aircraft. It would be nice if this video was in English.

Radonsider

Contributor
Reactions
13 2,564
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Being neither excellent nor bad is the definition of mediocre. And yes, the F-35's distributed sensor architecture is the only thing about it that's really special, but that's something that could've, and should've, been implemented on a platform that isn't mediocre. Anyway, these aren't our problems any more. IMO being denied the F-35 is the best thing that ever happened to our military-industrial complex. The trees that grow from that decision will still be bearing fruit 50 years from now.
MIC, absolutely yes
AF: Probably no, at least for the 10 years, but we could also say "yes" as it is the start of awakening...

Agha Sher

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
10 9,141
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Afghanistan
Found a gem!

Ucaksan.

The company is looking forward to their first flight of the Troy T200 in December.

1669312018631.png

The aircraft is designed for pilot training, agriculture, reconnisance and general purpose.

They already had a first flight for their long-range cargo drone called T50.

Lastly, they are planning a larger airplane capable of transporting 19 people!

Best of luck to this small company!

zio

Reactions
4 456
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Gun pods for hürkuş and others
sarsılmaz mekatronik 600-900 per minute 0.50 cal
sys/unirobotics 900 per minute 0..50 cal

1669727109461.png

1669727157095.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Mustafa27

Committed member
Reactions
2 589
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Can a mod move the engine related posts to the propulsion section? It's been several pages.

Back to the thread.. What do you think TAI will unveil tomorrow? Any guesses?
I would be very very happy with a Hurjet Taxi.

but its most likely either Hurjet or TISU reveal.

Follow us on social media

Latest posts

Top Bottom