what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,001
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Lets hope that some spectators will be allowed.

Btw someone with photoshop skills pls insert the orange-stabbing picture but with maple syrup.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,639
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey

More than a race: Istanbul to cash out $150M from F1 Turkish GP​

BY DAILY SABAH​

ISTANBUL TOURISM
OCT 06, 2021 1:55 PM GMT+3
Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel and Red Bull's Max Verstappen in action during the Formula One Turkish Grand Prix at Istanbul Park, Istanbul, Turkey, Nov. 15, 2020. (Reuters Photo)
Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel and Red Bull's Max Verstappen in action during the Formula One Turkish Grand Prix at Istanbul Park, Istanbul, Turkey, Nov. 15, 2020. (Reuters Photo)

The Turkish Formula One Grand Prix is set to inject a fresh shot in the arm for Istanbul tourism, in a morale booster for the metropolis that has been trying to get back on track from the fallout of the coronavirus pandemic.

The race will make its way to famed Istanbul Park this weekend and will be welcoming as many as 100,000 spectators, in contrast to last year’s spectacle that was held without fans due to pandemic measures.

Turkey hopes the race would help it eventually secure a long-term deal, in what would give the country’s critical tourism industry much to celebrate.

This weekend’s event could bring in at least $150 million in revenues, said Turkey Hoteliers Association (TÜROB) Chairperson Müberra Eresin.

Adding to the major event, Eresin stressed the fact it will be held with fans and the mobility it would yield for the tourism industry of the metropolis.

“We can say that the Formula One Istanbul Grand Prix is the organization that has excited and inspired us the most in recent years,” she said.

The Istanbul Park circuit made a welcome return to the calendar last season after a nine-year absence and delivered arguably the most thrilling grand prix of the 17-race calendar.

Even though held without spectators, the fact that Istanbul had hosted a race last year amid the pandemic alone served as a major morale booster, Eresin said.

The wet and slippery Grand Prix at Istanbul Park was held in November and produced one of the highlights of the season, with Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton clinching his record-equaling seventh world title.

“This year it will be with an audience. It will have a very positive effect on Turkey and Istanbul and will trigger international tourist movement to the city,” Eresin noted.

She even suggested Istanbul hotels would enjoy a peak not seen in the last two years.

“We expect that about 35,000 people to arrive in from abroad, and provide Istanbul tourism with an income of about $150 million. We expect a significant increase in occupancy rates in most of our hotels near the region where the race will be held,” Eresin noted.

Vural Ak, chairperson of Istanbul circuit operator Intercity, last week confirmed more than 30,000 tourists would be arriving to follow the event.

“I don’t think there is any other opportunity to promote to so many people,” Ak said, referring to the fact that the organization reaches out to at least 2 billion people from around the world.

“Although our capacity is way higher, we intend to accommodate a maximum of 100,000 people due to the coronavirus measures. Ticket sales have been going up rapidly due to the growing foreign interest. We will host over 30,000 foreign guests in Istanbul,” he noted.

“I think that this weekend alone Istanbul will see an inflow of around $150 million and $200 million,” Ak said.

What Eresin stressed is even more important than the numbers is the fact of Istanbul being put on the F1 agenda once again.

“It is one of the most-watched events in the world that reaches out to at least 2 billion people,” Eresin noted.

“On this occasion, we hope that Istanbul’s place on the F1 calendar will be permanent in the coming years.”

Formula One boss Stefano Domenicali will also be arriving in Turkey, with whom Ak said they would be holding important talks.

“We talked a lot about securing a 10-year contract, we gained ground. I hope that at the end of this race, we will have organized a race that will end with a permanent signature.”

Anyone I know it costs something to hold the F1, but hopefully the return will be that much more for businesses and Turkey.

Crossing fingers for it'll be a one hell of a race :)

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 17,822
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
I also wish more racing games had Istanbul Park.

Really enjoy racing that track in Race Driver Grid.

Indos

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Look like Istanbul still has land to held grandprix

Jakarta cannot do it, we have made one outside Jakarta and the other is far away at Lombok island, next to Bali

Sentul Circuit, outside Jakarta (West Java)

New one for Moto GP in Lombok Island (in progress)

Last edited:

Indos

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Jakarta will hold Formula E grandprix in 2022 but using street, not building a new circuit

This is I believe the first Muslim F1 driver (Indonesian), he competed in F1 some years ago

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 17,822
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
Jakarta will hold Formula E grandprix in 2022 but using street, not building a new circuit

This is I believe the first Muslim F1 driver (Indonesian), he competed in F1 some years ago

Malaysia also has a great racing track called Sepang.

That track should also come back to the F1 calendar.

Indos

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Malaysia also has a great racing track called Sepang.

That track should also come back to the F1 calendar.

What I know Malaysia doesnt hold F 1 anymore, not profitable anymore and I believe with this pandemic situation they will not start it, they just focus on Moto GP.

Mandalika circuit in Lombok island Indonesia will held Superbike next month, and the hotels there have reach occupancy rate of 70 % despite the event will be held next month.

Our foreign tourist arrival this year is expected to reach 1.5 million people where in 2022 the target is 3 million but health measures will likely be in place next year.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,639
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
Istanbul makes great sense with regard to F1 track. I hope that if/once F1 in Turkey becomes a natural occurrance a second track will be built possibly Izmir region as I believe it's more sustainable than if we built a second one in Antalya or Konya.

Izmir is a vibrant city and has quite the pull on tourists and seems to have a sound economy as well. My only worry is the earthquakes.

EDIT: Perhaps Eskisehir too :)

Last edited:

Anastasius

Contributor
Azerbaijan Moderator
Reactions
3 2,916
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Azerbaijan
I'd gladly trade our spot as F1 hosts to Turkey as well if it meant we wouldn't have to spend upwards of a week with all of Baku's traffic becoming even more of an unmanageable hell than it usually is. Istanbul doesn't seem to have the issues with cramped space that Baku does.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 17,822
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
I'd gladly trade our spot as F1 hosts to Turkey as well if it meant we wouldn't have to spend upwards of a week with all of Baku's traffic becoming even more of an unmanageable hell than it usually is. Istanbul doesn't seem to have the issues with cramped space that Baku does.

Istanbul Park is a permanent race track while baku is a street track not a permanent racing course.

In Melbourne the F1 is done at Albert Park rather than the city centre. Albert park circuit is not a permanent one as it is converted into a track just for F1 once a year.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom