Huelague

Experienced member
Reactions
4 3,863
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Some 126 schools in which Turks living in Western Thrace have been receiving education have been closed by Greek authorities in the past 10 years, according to the head of a minority schools council union.

Ahmet Kara, the head of the Minority Schools Council Union, noted that the recent protest held by the community was a reaction to the Greek authorities’ violation of the Turkish minority’s education rights.

He noted that the community will continue to boycott if the Greek authorities continue to interfere with their education rights.

“The status of minority education is outlined in the Treaty of Lausanne and a series of cultural protocols and education agreements signed between Turkey and Greece,” Kara told Yeni Şafak daily, adding that it is legally impossible for Athens to make unilateral amendments to existing regulations.

“While we had 229 minority schools a decade ago, we only have 103 elementary schools and two high schools left now,” Kara said, adding that the Greek government does not give permission to open new schools.

Kara also said Greek educators frequently try to manipulate Turkish parents and guardians by saying their children should transfer to public schools and that Greek authorities keep delaying updates in Turkish textbooks.

“The textbooks taught in schools do not have updated information as the Greek government does not approve the content of updated textbooks sent by Turkey,” Kara said.

Meanwhile, Pervin Hayrullah, the head of the Western Thrace Minority Culture and Education Company, called Greek’s actions “primitive.”

“The minority education system is private and autonomous. According to laws, the syllabus should be formed by school councilors, but they have been preventing councilors from making decisions,” Hayrullah said.

She continued by saying that students were previously authorized to take time off during worship hours on Friday, but the Greek government canceled this practice.

“We will continue to defend our rights if the Greek authorities continue to prevent our children from attending Friday prayers,” she added.

Last week, students from the Turkish minority in Western Thrace did not attend school on Friday in protest of the Greek administration's violations of the minority's education rights guaranteed under international agreements.

The community of Western Thrace Turks is estimated between 100,000-150,000 people. The rights of the Turks in the region were guaranteed under the 1923 Treaty of Lausanne, a pact forged in the aftermath of the Turkish War of Independence following World War I. Since then, however, the situation has steadily deteriorated. According to a report by the Turkish Parliament, the Western Thracian Turkish minority, which constituted 65% of the region's population in the 1920s, has now fallen down to 30%.

After a Greek military junta came to power in 1967, the minority community started to face persecution and rights violations by the state. Following Turkey's 1974 peace operation on the island to protect Turkish Cypriots, the Greek military junta eventually fell, but strict restrictions on the minority group were imposed. By the early 1990s, some rights of the Turks were partially restored, but problems regarding collective and civil liberties continued, and new challenges have emerged.

Greece launched an education drive in 2011 to cut costs and started merging schools with a low number of students, drastically reducing the number of schools from 1,933 to 877. Last year alone, some 14 schools attended by Turkish minority students were shut down.

Turkey condemned the closure of another 12 schools in August this year under the pretext of austerity measures and an insufficient number of students.

Greece recognizes the minority in Western Thrace only in terms of religion, that is to say as a Muslim minority.

That’s happen to Turks in Greece.

Last edited by a moderator:

RogerRanger

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
United Kingdom
So is Western Thrace not sovereign greek territory?

I must say these 'international' or American enforced agreements are really destroying nations and making it so weaker powers can use the threat of the US to cause instability in other nations. Happens in the UK with the Irish, happens in Russia, China, Iran. We are getting very sick of it, not having sovereign control over our own lands which are meant to be part of our states. What business is it of Turkey what the Greeks do in their own lands?

Also I had a women arguing for Scottish independent saying Scottish independence is none of my business because I don't live in Scotland. Even though I live 300 meters from Scotland, I have half my family in Scotland and I do 50% of my business in Scotland. These same people say Britain to stay of out the affairs of Northern Ireland, while saying the US and EU must have a role. Basically the weaker nations using the threat of the EU economy and American power to take over and erode the sovereignty of the greater nations.

I will leave this comment up because is shows my total ignorance and getting undone by my own nations history. Thank you.

Adıvar

Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey

I must say these 'international' or American enforced agreements are really destroying nations and making it so weaker powers can use the threat of the US to cause instability in other nations. Happens in the UK with the Irish, happens in Russia, China, Iran. We are getting very sick of it, not having sovereign control over our own lands which are meant to be part of our states. What business is it of Turkey what the Greeks do in their own lands?

Also I had a women arguing for Scottish independent saying Scottish independence is none of my business because I don't live in Scotland. Even though I live 300 meters from Scotland, I have half my family in Scotland and I do 50% of my business in Scotland. These same people say Britain to stay of out the affairs of Northern Ireland, while saying the US and EU must have a role. Basically the weaker nations using the threat of the EU economy and American power to take over and erode the sovereignty of the greater nations.

I will leave this comment up because is shows my total ignorance and getting undone by my own nations history. Thank you.
Then by your logic, Turkey has right to close minority schools and even orthodox patriarchate?

M

Manomed

If we go with your logic We should send back all greeks back to greece and close down everything related to them sounds good for me

GoatsMilk

Experienced member
Reactions
9 9,045
Nation of residence
United Kingdom

The problem is the Turks are too kind. The Turks should have sent them all packing a long time ago including their pope. But we know what the europeans/americans will say, while they have nothing to say concerning their own crimes.

When the Turks had Cyprus, Crete, Rhodes they should have done to those islands what the British, French or Russians would have done.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 18,099
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
Then by your logic, Turkey has right to close minority schools and even orthodox patriarchate?

We should close it down to be honest.

Send the patriarch to where he belongs which is greece. Get rid of this byzantine relic from my lands.

Akritas

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
Greece
Nation of origin
Greece
Old , face and recycled Turkish fake news.....

Schools close because there are no students.
Turkey distorts
reality with unfounded accusations and fake news.
Greece, unlike Turkey, continues to fully implement the provisions of the Treaty of Lausanne.
The numbers speak for themselves.
The Muslim minority in Thrace numbers approximately 120,000 members.
The Greek minority in Turkey has shrunk to just 3,000 members, while the two minorities were equal in number at the time the Treaty of Lausanne was signed.
For the academic year 2021-2022, more than 100 minority primary schools will operate in Thrace while only three will operate in Constantinople.
Again, the criterion for suspending the operation of schools in Greece is the non-completion of a minimum number of nine students.
In addition to the 12 minority schools, another 24 public primary schools were suspended in the region of Eastern Macedonia and Thrace alone, a fact that highlights equal and not discriminatory treatment of minority students in Greece.

Greece is a state governed by the rule of law, fully protects and guarantees the human rights and freedoms of all its citizens.
Turkey ranks second worst regarding the non-execution of the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) judgements, with 643 judgements pending implementation.

Last edited:

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 18,099
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
It took the Greeks 200 years to even build a mosque in athens 🤣

While Turkiye has lots of churches even its own patriarch.

GoatsMilk

Experienced member
Reactions
9 9,045
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
We should close it down to be honest.

Send the patriarch to where he belongs which is greece. Get rid of this byzantine relic from my lands.

Its its historical fact that the greek chruch, patriarch had colluded with the enemies of the Ottoman empire. Just look at the letters between the Russian Tsar and the Patriarch of Istanbul as one example, talking about how to bring the Turks down from within. That treason should have led to exile or execution. Its been long over due that this relic of a dark era long be sent packing to where it belongs. Its massive security threat to the Turkish nation.

It has never worked to bring orthodox nations towards Turkey, to the contrary we see Orthodox nations constantly hostile towards Turkey, while we freed their pope from catholic oppression and we allowed them exist with dignity. They have only ever repaid us with envious hate and bitter insecurity.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 18,099
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
Its its historical fact that the greek chruch, patriarch had colluded with the enemies of the Ottoman empire. Just look at the letters between the Russian Tsar and the Patriarch of Istanbul as one example, talking about how to bring the Turks down from within. That treason should have led to exile or execution. Its been long over due that this relic of a dark era long be sent packing to where it belongs. Its massive security threat to the Turkish nation.

It has never worked to bring orthodox nations towards Turkey, to the contrary we see Orthodox nations constantly hostile towards Turkey, while we freed their pope from catholic oppression and we allowed them exist with dignity. They have only ever repaid us with envious hate and bitter insecurity.

Also the Armenian patriarch too.

I always said this before our country is bipolar and too tolerant.

We allow terrorist pieces of shit to be in the Turkish parliament.

It boggles my mind when it comes to the country of Turkiye. I will never understand this.

From tolerating treason to even allowing terrorists in your own parliament.

Somehow you have people saying its a democracy and we have to be tolerant. Since when does any country tolerate treason or terrorists becoming politicians?

Akritas

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
Greece
Nation of origin
Greece
It took the Greeks 200 years to even build a mosque in athens 🤣

While Turkiye has lots of churches even its own patriarch.
Show me one church that built from the Turks at the last 200 years?
Until you find out, here we see what the 1000 years Churches have been suffering for the last 100 years.
The luckiest become mosques like Aya Sofia in Constantinople and Andrianople!!!

1640623636942.png

Last edited:

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 18,099
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
Until you find out, here we see what the 1000 years Churches have been suffering for the last 100 years.

View attachment 37738

Funny coming from a greek who has all but destroyed mosques.

Funny how these greeks and armenians cry about tolerance while they themselves are the biggest hypocrites.

Armenia and Greece barely have any mosques while Turkiye and Azerbaijan are full of churches.

A few years ago Erdogan opened a Assyrian church in Istanbul. Erdogan has literally been handing over your churches back LOL

We can go back to the good old republican era where we seized religious properties to the Turkish state.

Akritas

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
Greece
Nation of origin
Greece
So it is logical that there is no new church build in Turkey for 200 years. Nor will they exist, when the Christian population was expelled, murdered and violently Islamized.
History will always remain the most objective witness of the systematic elimination of all minorities from the territory of Turkey over the course of the 20th century.

On the other hand, the Muslim minority in Greece,
  • from 86.000 people at 1922, today there are 105.000 at the present.
  • 100 minority primary schools operate in Thrace while only 3 operate in Constantinople.
Facts are is unshakable and solid.

Last edited:
M

Manomed

So it is logical that there is no new church build in Turkey for 200 years. Nor will they exist, when the Christian population was expelled, murdered and violently Islamized.
History will always remain the most objective witness of the systematic elimination of all minorities from the territory of Turkey over the course of the 20th century.

• 100 minority primary schools operate in Thrace while only 3 operate in Constantinople.
What about the people you have massacred and killed in Greece what about our losses you deserved everything you got hope will do it again.
Anatolia belongs to Us now we can expel or massacre anyone we want. We'll do it again soon and you'll cry about it for 10000 years again

>Massacre half of the Turkish population in greece
>years passes
>Turks does to same for revenge

Greeks be like
1640628302122.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Oublious

Experienced member
The Netherlands Correspondent
Reactions
7 4,339
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey

View attachment 37738

againg you did proof nothingm wher is this? Place and name....

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 18,099
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey

Classic Greek and Armenian playbook.

We got our asses kicked so we cry about it being a genocide 🤣

Akritas

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
Greece
Nation of origin
Greece
It is normal from a Turk, not to know the history of Anatolia, because it is hidden from you.
Is Saint Sargis, a church from the 5 that were for 1000 years, in the Khtzkonk Monastery, near the town of Digor, the administrative capital of the Digor district of the Kars Province in Turkey.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 18,099
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey

Orthodox terrorists like Russia and Greece systematically murdered Muslims regardless of their ethnicity.

Also Sebrenica was not just racist nationalism being played out but the Orthodox church who gave full blessings to the Serbs to murder Bosniaks.

Bosniaks were literally called Turks just to justify their slaughter.

When are people going to wake up to Orthodox Christians and their dirty history of terrorism and genocides that make Catholics and Protestants look like school children.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom