Delivery Timeline:
2x FDI Standard I(31/3/2025 & 31/10/2025):
2 8-cell Sylver A50 launchers, ie 16 ASTER 30 missiles
8 MM40 Block 3c anti-ship missiles
1 Super Rapido 76 mm cannon
CANTO torpedo countermeasures
2 Narwal cannons of 20 mm
1x FDI Standard II(31/10/2026)
The additional features of the FDI Standard II frigate from the FDI Standard I frigate are:
Two more A50 Sylver launchers, ie a total of 4x Sylver A50, for 32 ASTER
21cell RAM launcher over the helicopter hangar
Chaffs and Flares (will be absent from the 2 FDI Standard I frigates)
On 31/1/2027 the second FDI Standard I frigate, which will be delivered on 31/10/2025, will complete the process of upgrading to the same technical characteristics of the FDI Standard II frigate. The first FDI Standard I frigate will be upgraded at an unspecified date.

FDI-1644522139.0659.png

Akritas

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
Greece
Nation of origin
Greece
Some important remarks from the Greek Prime Minister regarding the FDI HN project....

• Hellenic Navy has always favored - the truth is - the Belharra frigates, as the most operationally suitable for the theater of operations, to which our country must respond.
  • We achieved the acquisition of the three Belharras essentially at the price of two, according to the specifications set by the Navy. We managed to get these ships to come and join the Greek fleet, in a relatively very short period of time, shorter than what the other possible suppliers offered us. Of these ships, the first ship we will probably be able to receive in 2025
  • The new frigates will welcome next to them 4 new smaller surface ships guided by the Hellenic Navy staff, the decisions will be made by the end of summer

Akritas

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
Greece
Nation of origin
Greece
When I wrote that the Greek navy did not want Scalp Naval in its new FDI HN frigates, because this operation is covered by the Greek Air Force, they tried to ... refute me.

Well, what I said was confirmed by the Greek Minister of National Defense:

Therefore, whether the "Scalp Naval" was chosen as an additional weapon was not a matter of political choice of the Government. It was a matter of those who decided what the Navy needs or does not need. And obviously here, they decided that they do not need this extra weapon system in the final configuration of the ship because it can have it or be carried by planes or other platforms. However, they decided that it is not necessary while the needs are fully covered and based on these we acted.

Pantelis

Reactions
Nation of residence
Greece
Nation of origin
Cyprus

Greece buys six more Rafale fighter jets, frigates from France​

2022-03-24T192539Z_1481770689_RC249T98LA8S_RTRMADP_5_GREECE-FRANCE-DEFENCE-320x200.jpg

Greece on Thursday signed deals to buy three Belharra navy frigates and six additional Rafale fighter jets from France to boost its armed forces in response to tension with neighboring Turkey.

The Rafale fighter jets will be sold to Greece by Dassault Aviation and would be delivered from the summer of 2024, bringing the Hellenic Air Force’s fleet to 24 Rafales, the French warplane maker said in a statement.

The orders were signed aboard the retired Greek battleship Averof by the two countries’ defence ministers.

“With this acquisition of frigates and fighter jets the firepower of Greece’s navy and air force will be strengthened,” Greek Defense Minister Nikos Panagiotopoulos said.

Last September Athens agreed to buy three frigates with an option for a fourth one for about 3.0 billion euros ($3.30 billion).

The accord, part of a broader strategic military and defence cooperation pact, came after an agreement to order 24 Dassault-made Rafale fighter jets.

Greek lawmakers in October ratified the defence agreement between Greece and France that will allow the two countries to come to each other’s aid in the event of an external threat.

Greece and Turkey have been at odds over the extent of their continental shelves and their maritime boundaries, a fact that has hindered any expansion by Athens of its territorial waters to 12 miles (19 km) in the Aegean.

Pantelis

Reactions
Nation of residence
Greece
Nation of origin
Cyprus
DOC-20210413-10354501-1-960x600-3-320x200.jpg

The three new Belharra frigates expected by the Hellenic Navy were given names on Tuesday during a meeting of the Supreme Naval Council. The new frigates, currently being constructed by French Naval Group in Lorient, will be named “Kimon,” “Nearchos,” and “Formion.”

PutinBro

Committed member
Reactions
4 205
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
The ship has impressive sensors and excellent missiles.But the question is just how effective they will be in a high intensity conflict with each having only 16-32 very expensive asters.

Top Bottom