Indonesia Indonesian Air Force, Tentara Nasional Indonesia-Angkatan Udara (TNI-AU)

NEKO

Experienced member
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
3 2,375
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
The lesson in pitch black practice a few years ago taught us that without the support of AEW&C we always lose in BVR games with several other participating countries even though we use SU30/27&F 16, maybe that's our consideration for the acquisition of AEW&C to increase BVR capabilities in our air fleet
Not just for BVR, AEW (or ground based radar) can guide fighter to their target, because fighter radar coverage is facing forward (a little bit to the sides, up and down) so there is a lot of blind spot, AEW can guide fighter to intended target via dodgy flight path so it won't be easily detected by the enemy and surprise them from the sides or from behind).
Useful for close - medium range engagement and giving more situational awareness.

You know just like those giant humanoid mecha anime, the crews on the mothership that is monitoring the radar screen can warn the mecha pilot that there is enemy approaching from behind to sneak attack.

So if our sukhoi that is only relying with onboard radar vs enemy team that have more advanced sensors / supported with AEW etc, it will be challenging for air combat scenario.

wahyu845

Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Not just for BVR, AEW (or ground based radar) can guide fighter to their target, because fighter radar coverage is facing forward (a little bit to the sides, up and down) so there is a lot of blind spot, AEW can guide fighter to intended target via dodgy flight path so it won't be easily detected by the enemy and surprise them from the sides or from behind).
Useful for close - medium range engagement and giving more situational awareness.

You know just like those giant humanoid mecha anime, the crews on the mothership that is monitoring the radar screen can warn the mecha pilot that there is enemy approaching from behind to sneak attack.

So if our sukhoi that is only relying with onboard radar vs enemy team that have more advanced sensors / supported with AEW etc, it will be challenging for air combat scenario.
good explanation sir, indeed the synergy of AEW&C, Radar fighter, GCI radar and network centric is very necessary to strengthen our air force in addition to the addition of new types of aircraft (F 15 etc.)

Ravager

Contributor
Reactions
3 1,148
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
the cheap, all can do fighter ? kinda workhorse ?
A notch down of workhorse ( enslaved ) class in our particular case ...

😂😂
Both.

If only we can make these kind of LIFT jet in the future.
What would you expect from a mercusuar mentality nation ... ??
Nobody deem it's would fit our prestige and level .....

Sigh ..

Jagdflieger

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
Germany
Which one is more efficient, a fighter plane as a workhorse in peacetime or a special drone?
IIRC there was an article by Elon Musk not too long ago, stating that in 20-30 years manned aircraft will no longer exist, maybe that helps to answer your question :)

Ravager

Contributor
Reactions
3 1,148
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
IIRC there was an article by Elon Musk not too long ago, stating that in 20-30 years manned aircraft will no longer exist, maybe that helps to answer your question :)
Redudancy issues will dictate otherwise though . We have enough Terminator flicks to remind us to the next decade and beyond on what would be the consequence of too much remote controling in military usages .
Call me a conversative ....but , too much automation and digitalisation are freaking me out . Even today i still use 3 pedals .

Jagdflieger

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
Germany
Redudancy issues will dictate otherwise though . We have enough Terminator flicks to remind us to the next decade and beyond on what would be the consequence of too much remote controling in military usages .
Call me a conversative ....but , too much automation and digitalisation are freaking me out . Even today i still use 3 pedals .
I feel you.
However terminator etc. take self-developing AI into account. In our "realistic" future airraft (without pilot) aka drones will still be guided/operated by humans and some will operate on designed software that allows for automatic parameters - which essentially has nothing to do with AI - e.g. self driving cars.
Btw: you still bringing your wallet along or do you pay via your mobile? :D

Ravager

Contributor
Reactions
3 1,148
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
I feel you.
However terminator etc. take self-developing AI into account. In our "realistic" future airraft (without pilot) aka drones will still be guided/operated by humans and some will operate on designed software that allows for automatic parameters - which essentially has nothing to do with AI - e.g. self driving cars.
Btw: you still bringing your wallet along or do you pay via your mobile? :D
Come on .... Atleast i do use OVO , mobile banking and Dana apps for a convinience sake . But without some cash around i do feel naked ... 😄😄
But , you're right . sooner or later the new wave techs would change and transform everything and yet the old way/system were adapting to the situation too...

Jagdflieger

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
Germany
..... sooner or later the new wave techs would change and transform everything and yet the old way/system were adapting to the situation too...
Right, so in that context it might be advisable for Indonesia's next fighter-aircraft generation to behold the possibility towards the loyal wingman concept - to come maybe into consideration or into service in 10 years or so. Always prepared and ready for the Future :)

Jagdflieger

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
Germany
The lesson in pitch black practice a few years ago taught us that without the support of AEW&C we always lose in BVR games with several other participating countries even though we use SU30/27&F 16, maybe that's our consideration for the acquisition of AEW&C to increase BVR capabilities in our air fleet
Absolutely agree.
However two questions.
Do Indonesia's present fighter-aircraft have the necessary (avionics/antenna suit) to, a) make use of BVR info? and, b) do you have BVR capable missiles?
So to invest big $ into AEW&C aircraft and the necessary link e.g. minimum link16 capabilities, (e.g. a F-16 Block 70/72) certainly is vital, but wouldn't help much without a capable weapons platform (aircraft, naval or ground based) and BVR capable missiles. (not to mention an AESA radar)

Sorry I am just asking :) I am aware about Indonesia's request towards thirty-six (36) AIM-120C-7 AMRAAMs

Last edited:

Jagdflieger

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
Germany
Presently no, but the newly ordered Rafale for sure have it.

And I think if we buy AEW&C aircraft right now, by the time it get delivered, Rafale already arrived.
Oh boy - a further diversification of your Air-force ;) sorry just my opinion. Don't pay too much attention.

Ravager

Contributor
Reactions
3 1,148
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Right, so in that context it might be advisable for Indonesia's next fighter-aircraft generation to behold the possibility towards the loyal wingman concept - to come maybe into consideration or into service in 10 years or so. Always prepared and ready for the Future :)
Every plans , ideas and what's not contingencies were allready had been considered , debated and weighted yet it was the monies that never/always late to come ....
Oh boy - a further diversification of your Air-force ;) sorry just my opinion. Don't pay too much attention.
Sigh ....
Part and parcels of NAM country...
Yet , looking back at the turks F 35 atleast we had our stands clarified from the get go . Everybody in Indonesia side have understood on the reason why ...
And no i don't interested in debating the political nuances of said accident .
We are simply take things as it is ...

Lordimperator

Experienced member
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
1 2,454
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220612-180805_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220612-180805_Chrome.jpg
    364.8 KB · Views: 61

Madokafc

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
4 10,019
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia

Juni 2022​

US, Indonesian Air Forces to Conduct Cope West 22 Exercise​

13 Juni 2022

Bilateral, tactical airlift exercise will be conducted between USAF and TNI AU (photo : Dyess)

JOINT BASE PEARL HARBOR-HICKAM, Hawaii -- Service members and aircraft from the U.S. Air Force’s 374th Airlift Wing (AW), Yokota Air Base, Japan and the Indonesian Air Force will participate in Cope West 2022 (CW22), a bilateral, tactical airlift exercise at Abdulrachman Saleh Air Force Base, Malang, Indonesia, June 17-24.

Approximately 70 U.S. service members will participate with Indonesian Air Force service members in the field training exercise. Two U.S. Air Force C-130 Hercules from Yokota Air Base, Japan, and two C-130s from the Indonesian Air Force are participating in this year’s tactical airlift exercise.

“Cope West allows us to strengthen our partnership with one of our most valuable partners in Southeast Asia,” said Lt. Col. Kira Coffey, Commander, 36th Airlift Squadron. “This year, we are focused on developing and expanding our combined airlift capabilities with the Indonesian Air Force.”

U.S. and Indonesian participants will exercise personnel and equipment airdrop, rigging, formation, all-weather and night flight operations, among other capabilities integral to a variety of bilateral missions.

“The tactics, techniques, and procedures we exchange with the Indonesian Air Force in Cope West help prepare us for a real-life event in which we will have to work together to secure common interests,” said Lt. Col. Coffey. “We are going to ‘practice how we would play’ and be stronger as a result.”

Pacific Air Forces, in coordination with other components, allies, and partners, provides U.S. Indo-Pacific Command with continuous unrivaled air, space, and cyberspace capabilities to ensure stability and security throughout the pacific region.

Cope West is a recurring exercise that first took place in 1989. This year marks the ninth time Cope West has been hosted in Indonesia and the 73rd anniversary of diplomatic relations between the U.S. and Indonesia.

(PACAF)

Var Dracon

Reactions
1 473
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Myanmar Rebels used drone to attack junta troops. It looks like the munition is very small (lighter than mortar), so the wind greatly affected them, making them very inaccurate.

I wonder about the Chinese Blowfish drone used by us, how they performed etc. Their munition is larger (60 or 81 mm mortar), so in theory they would be more accurate.

Madokafc

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
4 10,019
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Myanmar Rebels used drone to attack junta troops. It looks like the munition is very small (lighter than mortar), so the wind greatly affected them, making them very inaccurate.

I wonder about the Chinese Blowfish drone used by us, how they performed etc. Their munition is larger (60 or 81 mm mortar), so in theory they would be more accurate.

I am much more concerned about how much valuable information they can gather before executing the attacks, if they can get accurate information like TO position, security detail and sitrep, XO infil and so on, then the hunting would be much easier.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom