Indonesia Indonesian Air Force, Tentara Nasional Indonesia-Angkatan Udara (TNI-AU)

morningstar

Experienced member
Reactions
3 1,385
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
A U.S. Air Force F-16 Fighting Falcon fighter jet shot down a simulated cruise missile with a rocket, proving that downing cruise missiles isn't a difficult or expensive enterprise—as long as you can find it.
Historically, If im right, British also ever derailed V-1 flight path by "nyenggol" The wing of the V-1 wokwowkw

FPXAllen

Contributor
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
4 1,612
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Advanced F-15s are able to carry as much as 24 air-air missile per jets. combine that with the powerful AESA radar as well as advanced processors on board, this could be our answer to cruise missile saturation type attacks on our installations.

We'll need (a lot) more ground based SAM installations with anti cruise missile capability as well, though.

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,347
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Credit to: Lembaga Keris
150828394_3399606240147695_3268290258094590018_o.jpg
150953168_3399606350147684_5239827230826064670_o.jpg
151023567_3399606273481025_3946850477087555121_o.jpg
151253292_3399606233481029_3288829196962520525_o.jpg
151239322_3403095606465425_4814410591932628548_o.jpg

Parry Brima

Contributor
Reactions
1 1,057
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
As I wrote earlier, I'm not placing my bets on JASSM. That also includes LRASM which was developed from it. It's good if it also being offered, but...

^ this is why (although I'm happy to be proven wrong as well).

I think it's a lot more probable to get AGM-84 SLAM-ER instead. Not sure if that one is also capable for anti shipping as the original version.

Harpoon is probably the cheapest U.S. missiles for F-15EX AShW.

But don't forget that we still have plenty of F-16 to use. Our Turkish friends have SOM anti-ship missiles for F-16 that's even cheaper than Harpoon.

Umigami

Experienced member
Indonesia Moderator
Reactions
5 4,844
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Wowow.... Wait. I think we will not doing any preemptive strike on this matter. But, if we are join the "kroyokan" Ya... Runway buster is also needed (maybe). I think US will take care the runway stuff.

Have you forgotten the "multi role" mantra that we used to joke about in the old k*skus?
So if AGM-84H/K missile can be used for both ground targets and ships, then it's a better bang for the buck for us.

On the other hand, it's a shame that the US has not develop supersonic anti-ship missiles until recently so there's still no equivalent of the Kh-31.

I think we're aiming for deterrence effect on par with what the Northern threat fielded on those island but with limited pre-emptive capability. So runway buster may not be chosen unless we're aiming otherwise.
Just include MBDA scalp and apache to rafale package.
Oh yeah, and "borong" gbu-12 from US too if possible. F16, F15, and rafale can use it. I suspect we'll use them the most.

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,347
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
A Harpoon will cost you 1/4 of an LRASM type advanced ship killers, consider that in a conflict we would have to face the world largest Navy by ship numbers, we would need to go quantity first, a cheap missile as long as it exist is better than advanced missile which didn't exist in our inventory. smart bombs are also useful and have been demonstrated successfully against boats.

We also would need to invest in advanced EW capabilities for the Navy adn AF to negate enemy long range radar found in adversary Destroyers and Frigates, if you saw how Bayraktar TB-2s fly circle on top of Armenian advanced Russian made AD system last year, then we could argue that if we invested enough on EW we could negate our weakness in missile range (due to MTCR limitations) with the ability to come close and deliver the payload without getting shot at.

FPXAllen

Contributor
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
4 1,612
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Harpoon is probably the cheapest U.S. missiles for F-15EX AShW.

But don't forget that we still have plenty of F-16 to use. Our Turkish friends have SOM anti-ship missiles for F-16 that's even cheaper than Harpoon.
So who's in for Harpoon and for Turkey's SOM?
Any other options? Japan's new supersonic AShM, maybe?
C'mon guys. This is getting interesting 😁

Captain Wales

Committed member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Aaanywaaay, since the hype is on right now, shall we talk about what kind of weapon systems that our air force will also acquire to arm those new jets?

As I recall somewhat vaguely, there was a talk in the MinDef that we will no longer purchase military hardwares with FBNW (and NSFW :love:) status. If that what we'll get, so I think for Rafale we'll also have MICA IR and EM missiles for AA purpose. Not sure about Meteor although one can only hope.
Then for ground attack, Hammer missiles. Anti ship, Exocet of course. Any other ideas?

For the F-15EX, more AMRAAM and Sidewinders for air to air. We'll gonna need a strike weapon with more range like AGM-158 JASSM although I'm not placing my bets on it. On the other hand, I think the AGM-88 HARM is a safe bet since we'll need something in the same function as the anti radar version of Kh-31.

All in all, I do hope that our officials also seriously considering to acquire more guided munitions. Even something like JDAM kit for our dumb bombs is okay.
considering they are both from nato country, can we integrate weapon system to each other (even though we need spend some money and modification to the plane to integrate it).
for example can we integrate ammram to the rafale or can we put meteor to F15 (if we want to buy meteor), can rafale use sniper pod instead of democles targeting pod?

FPXAllen

Contributor
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
4 1,612
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
We also would need to invest in advanced EW capabilities for the Navy adn AF to negate enemy long range radar found in adversary Destroyers and Frigates, if you saw how Bayraktar TB-2s fly circle on top of Armenian advanced Russian made AD system last year, then we could argue that if we invested enough on EW we could negate our weakness in missile range (due to MTCR limitations) with the ability to come close and deliver the payload without getting shot at.
Me like this very much. That's why I was also rooting for Growler.
But I'm not too disappointed since it doesn't make the cut. The Rafale's EW capability - if it's really that good - is probably still sufficient for this purpose.

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,347
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
how about the F16C/D, if we could get them upgraded become Viper that would be suprisely amazing year for the airforce
I would be happy if they're upgraded at least to the same level as Falcon Star eMLU standard, and would be even happier if they upgrade it to the same level as Viper.
AESA radar, new mission computers, helmet mounted sights, new engine, as well as EW pods should be the standard if we want to upgrade the C/Ds

Umigami

Experienced member
Indonesia Moderator
Reactions
5 4,844
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
considering they are both from nato country, can we integrate weapon system to each other (even though we need spend some money and modification to the plane to integrate it).
for example can we integrate ammram to the rafale or can we put meteor to F15 (if we want to buy meteor), can rafale use sniper pod instead of democles targeting pod?
1. No one ever try it so forget it. Just go with meteor.
2. F3R already equipped with good pod, Talios.

FPXAllen

Contributor
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
4 1,612
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
well don't forget rafale can carry exocet
...ground attack, Hammer missiles. Anti ship, Exocet of course. Any other ideas?
Yup. Already wrote that earlier.

It and Harpoon are still subsonic missiles though. So to counter advanced naval combatants with CIWS and anti ship missile counter measures, we can't just shoot one and think that it will be enough.

l3onhard

Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
This EX procurement number keep changing. 15, 36, 8....
just wait until the real contract runs (probably around mid-2021) my bet is actually 8 units only for the first batch and will be followed by another like our KASAU said (2020-2024)

gen3115

Reactions
Aaanywaaay, since the hype is on right now, shall we talk about what kind of weapon systems that our air force will also acquire to arm those new jets?

As I recall somewhat vaguely, there was a talk in the MinDef that we will no longer purchase military hardwares with FBNW (and NSFW :love:) status. If that what we'll get, so I think for Rafale we'll also have MICA IR and EM missiles for AA purpose. Not sure about Meteor although one can only hope.
Then for ground attack, Hammer missiles. Anti ship, Exocet of course. Any other ideas?

For the F-15EX, more AMRAAM and Sidewinders for air to air. We'll gonna need a strike weapon with more range like AGM-158 JASSM although I'm not placing my bets on it. On the other hand, I think the AGM-88 HARM is a safe bet since we'll need something in the same function as the anti radar version of Kh-31.

All in all, I do hope that our officials also seriously considering to acquire more guided munitions. Even something like JDAM kit for our dumb bombs is okay.

I'm not so confident about getting AGM-88's, If I recall correctly for some reason South East Asian states aren't really able to get AGM-88's even Singapore hasn't been able to get their hands on them. However, both RMAF and RSAF routinely practice flying HARM profiles despite not having AGM-88's in their inventory, something the TNI-AU should consider doing as well. If we do go with both Rafale and F-15EX, then the SEAD role will probably go to the Rafale, since the Rafale can do it equipped by using its SPECTRA EW suite and normal guided munitions. Which is why we should probably get GBU Paveways, more JDAMs and AASM Hammers for both the Rafale and F-15EX. A game changer for us I think if we also acquire JSOW for the F-15 and SCALP for the Rafale.

With Rafale and F-15EX in the mix, its almost certain that our Flankers would be out of the picture sooner or later (they are going to be 30 years old soon anyway) and the way I see it the Rafale will be the one that retains some of our Flankers capability when it comes to SEAD and anti-shipping with conventional AShM's. Also MICA IR can replace the role of R-27 in the TNI-AU as our long range infra-red missile (this will come in handy if we have to go up against stealth adversaries)

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom