Indonesia Indonesian Army,Tentara Nasional Indonesia-Angkatan Darat (TNI-AD)

Madokafc

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
4 10,020
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia

IDEF 2021: FNSS hails Kaplan MT progress​

18th August 2021 - 13:30 GMT | by The Shephard News Team
RSS

Kaplan Medium Tank. (Photo: FNSS)

FNSS displays production version of Kaplan Medium Tank for Indonesia, where it is known as Harimau.
FNSS exhibited a serial production version of its Kaplan Medium Tank (MT) at the IDEF defence exhibition in Istanbul on 17-20 August, claiming that the ‘design perfection process… is completed’ for the Indonesian Army as the launch customer.
The Kaplan MT as showcased at IDEF features a number of differences from the original prototype, including a redesigned front end and a relocated driver position.
Under the terms of a contract with FNSS, Indonesian manufacturer PT Pindad is producing most of the tanks (known as Harimau in Indonesian service) under licence.
Indonesia expects to receive a first batch of 18 Kaplan MTs by the end of 2021. A total of 52 more will be procured in 2022, followed by 19 in 2023 and 17 in 2024.
Kaplan MT is the first Turkish-designed medium tank to be export, and the first deliverable from defence industry cooperation agreements between Indonesia and Turkey.

satria

Contributor
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
7 1,099
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia

View attachment 28711
View attachment 28712

Let's put 120mm turret on some of our order and make it tank killer version.
n put some for arhanud like korhan

Korhan_AA_64b0.jpg

cheap one use SBS (Supaya Bapa Senang)

tank-pindad-sbs2.jpg

FPXAllen

Contributor
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
4 1,634
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Slightly OT again, probably...

But your post reminds me that one of the German's tank commander in WW2 (Guderian? Rommel?) believed that the Wehrmacht should've produced more Panzer IV, upgunned to counter the Soviet's T-34, instead of allocating so many valuable resources to build the overly complicated Tiger, Panther and Tiger II tanks.

By that above, I'm not implying that we don't need additional heavyweights like Leopard 2, though. We still do. It's just that I can see the scenario in a joint ops where the Leopard 2 tanks serve as the bulwark and the heavy hitters, while Kaplan / Harimau role is to overwhelm the opposing forces with their speed and agility. It's kind of a combination of Western and Soviet / Russian tank doctrines especially during the Cold War.

And for this, we need a lot more of this beauty so I really hope that the target of having 400+ of this tank which was stated by the MoD some time ago is still very much unchanged.

@Anmdt , do you have any information regarding the Pulat APS especially about whether it will be a standard feature on the Kaplan / Harimau production version? In all honesty, although I'll still be thankful if that's going to be the case, but I'm not a big fan of the Pulat's protruding sections especially since they may affect the tank's maneuverability in tight spaces.

Thank you in advance.

FPXAllen

Contributor
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
4 1,634
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
That looks like a promising gun deppression
And elevation too:

-10° / +42°

Which means, the gun is also usable for indirect fire, artillery style, or to be used in urban / close combat fighting in the cities where it can reach the top of the building from a much closer range than the Leopard 2. Of course, if it comes to this, the tank should never act alone and should only move with infantry supports.

Ravager

Contributor
Reactions
3 1,170
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
This was the old news from the Sekjen Kemhan at that time (2 years ago)

Plans and aspirations could always change and adjust to the situation . While i wholeheadtedly supporting on bulk purchase . It would be better if we spread the version around . Compared to the pure " Banpur " 105 mm /120 mm . 40-35 mm were more versatile and effective to rain the lead and explosion upon the thickest of our jungles . Hence IFV version should be seriously considered upon .

That's my two cents ...

Umigami

Experienced member
Indonesia Moderator
Reactions
5 4,855
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
I think it's still possible although I'm not sure how much it will cost the tank in term of weight and internal ammunition capacity.

Slightly OT, why oh why "kreditcepat [dot] org" appears as the first result when I searched for "Cockerill 120 mm"? I would prefer to buy in cash rather than to pay in installment :rolleyes: 😝

View attachment 28715
About Cockerill 120mm, I think it's still a concept. I don't find any source it's already in production, put on operational vehicle, or even a video of it firing its gun.

if there will be Tank killer version of Harimau, I think they will use Italian Hitfact 120mm turret.

wekiweko

Committed member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Barbados
Nation of origin
Barbados
User give the requirements list, the company make the design.
screenshot_20200213-192658-01-jpg.605472

The good thing about splitting it to several batch, there will be incremental improvement for each batch (need new contract and new price tho) compared to bulk order.

We could order more in the future.

so the design was based on the end users' requirement. if the design was flawed then requirements itself were flawed, therefore the burden of blame should not solely put on the company. no need to debate that underlying fact

Madokafc

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
4 10,020
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Emang bentuk front hull dan driver sight itu masukkan awal dari user ? Gua ngakak aja

That's why the OEM itself already rectify their design when some input is given from the user

Captain Wales

Committed member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
so the design was based on the end users' requirement. if the design was flawed then requirements itself were flawed, therefore the burden of blame should not solely put on the company. no need to debate that underlying fact
i wouldn't put the fault wholly on the army requirement.

most requirement only mention weight, width, height, what gun it uses, how fast it should be, what protection level it is and the system in it.
it's the manufacture job to interpret those requirement into a product.

prototype_model.jpg

Last edited:

kooppyyy

Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
User give the requirements list, the company make the design.
screenshot_20200213-192658-01-jpg.605472

The good thing about splitting it to several batch, there will be incremental improvement for each batch (need new contract and new price tho) compared to bulk order.

We could order more in the future.
WTF is even his comments? THIS GUY is the lead designer? No wonder the prototype came out like a soapbox on track, thank god the Turkish people are there and were kind enough to fix his mess. It is literally his job (and his team) to do the proper Requirements Engineering, properly documents those said requirements, come up with technical specs, verifies & validate those specs with end-users, and together review the overall system/design. It is given for end-users to come up with absurd requirements, thus why it is our job as engineers to sort and prioritize those requirements and coming up with creative solutions to fulfill as many requirements as possible. That whole exchange just reeks of unprofessionalism.
i wouldn't put the fault wholly on the army requirement.

most requirement only mention weight, width, height, what gun it uses, how fast it should be, what protection level it is and the system in it.
it's the manufacture job to interpret those requirement into a product.

View attachment 28861
Exactly! If I use poor requirements all the time as a reason for the lack of creative solutions I can provide, then I'd be out of a job a long time ago. Don't get me wrong poor requirements do happen, but it is something that can be corrected and mitigated if you manage the project right.

Umigami

Experienced member
Indonesia Moderator
Reactions
5 4,855
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
What Pindad need to do about Harimau project is think How they can produce parts locally as much as they can. Then Implement them FOR REAL!

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom