Indonesian funding issue re-emerges for KF-X

A

adenl

I understand your way of thinking but this case is not similar. SAR is a radar, it uses waves not particles. Wave reflect from the target to back to your radar. Very different cases.
I meant the image that one would get from such a system would be like a SAR image of the ground.

Indos

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
I understand your way of thinking but this case is not similar. SAR is a radar, it uses waves not particles. Wave reflect from the target to back to your radar. Very different cases.

Yup, microwave energy

Umigami

Experienced member
Indonesia Moderator
Reactions
5 4,784
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
1571063201589.png

For a new 4.5 gen fighter in 2020ish, it surely has a lot of physical switch and button, isn't it?

Last edited:

AzeriTank

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,760
Nation of residence
Azerbaijan
Nation of origin
Azerbaijan
one thing is bad about this jet, after you spend 5 billion$, you will still be dependent on US, UK and others as they supply lots of system to KFX. You will be depend on many countries. But, if you were able to join TFX, as you got good relations with Turkey, you got less risk... imagine one day S, Korea becomes friendly with Chine and share the technology?

Indos

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
one thing is bad about this jet, after you spend 5 billion$, you will still be dependent on US, UK and others as they supply lots of system to KFX. You will be depend on many countries. But, if you were able to join TFX, as you got good relations with Turkey, you got less risk... imagine one day S, Korea becomes friendly with Chine and share the technology?

I would say KFX/IFX program is the starting point for Indonesian designers and engineers to tap into fighter development. Previously we just make transport planes. Indonesia is also currently trying to make a road map in our aerospace industry for 2020-2040 time frame. KFX/IFX program will likely make fighter development become part of our long term aerospace development.

We have already become part of the program since 2010, about 10 years ago, so better to stick in KFX/IFX program. With both Indonesia and Turkey have fighter jet program where Indonesia partners with South Korea and assisted by Lockheed Martin and Turkey with BAE assisstance, I would say both Indonesia and Turkey have possibility to make 6 generation fighters together in 2035.

Indonesia economy at that time is also projected to have already quite big (3 trillion USD nominal GDP) and possibly having more ambitious leaders and strategic thinkers within the government.

China and SK people dont have good emotional bound. SK sees China as the power that make Korea get separated into South and North. You will see Korean members dont like to talk to Chinese member in "You Know Who" forum.

Umigami

Experienced member
Indonesia Moderator
Reactions
5 4,784
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Don't get their hopes up, our gov commitment in current project is half hearted. It's not hard to imagine they already "kapok" about this kind of long term project.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 17,822
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
I would say KFX/IFX program is the starting point for Indonesian designers and engineers to tap into fighter development. Previously we just make transport planes. Indonesia is also currently trying to make a road map in our aerospace industry for 2020-2040 time frame. KFX/IFX program will likely make fighter development become part of our long term aerospace development.

We have already become part of the program since 2010, about 10 years ago, so better to stick in KFX/IFX program. With both Indonesia and Turkey have fighter jet program where Indonesia partners with South Korea and assisted by Lockheed Martin and Turkey with BAE assisstance, I would say both Indonesia and Turkey have possibility to make 6 generation fighters together in 2035.

Indonesia economy at that time is also projected to have already quite big (3 trillion USD nominal GDP) and possibly having more ambitious leaders and strategic thinkers within the government.

China and SK people dont have good emotional bound. SK sees China as the power that make Korea get separated into South and North. You will see Korean members dont like to talk to Chinese member in "You Know Who" forum.

More of a stepping stone for Indonesia am I right?

Lots of potential. I hope the best for Indonesia. Their youths are hungry for success.

Indos

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
More of a stepping stone for Indonesia am I right?

Lots of potential. I hope the best for Indonesia. Their youths are hungry for success.

Correct, thanks bro. Hoping the same for Turkey and Turkish

Yup, it will be a long road to be able to reach Western nation capability, but we have to start if we want to catch them some day......

joedhie2k

Committed member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
TFX is a riskier venture because they want full LO and develop indigenious engine at the same time. Higher reward but when you put new airframe with new engine then can leads to overruns.

The way Indo and Turk can collab in near future after both planes operational is when developing sub system like electronics or weaponry.

Reviewbrah

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
EZwlCYuWsAMInQf.jpg

GE is developing new improved variants of F414 for KFX program. Development program said to end by 2026.

For example, Pratt & Whitney's engine development cycle is roughly 20 years. They are trying to bring it down to 10 years.

Umigami

Experienced member
Indonesia Moderator
Reactions
5 4,784
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Is there any different between IFX and KFX?
IFX --> KFX without some features (?)

Umigami

Experienced member
Indonesia Moderator
Reactions
5 4,784
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
IFX ? Drop Fuel tank
KFX has it too in their latest model, mock up, and videos.
I think ours gonna get drag chute if I remember correctly.
I hope ours get full package too like irst, Targeting pod, RF jammer, and that israeli terain following feature, not the major downgrade one!

Madokafc

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
4 10,019
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
KFX has it too in their latest model, mock up, and videos.
I think ours gonna get drag chute if I remember correctly.
I hope ours get full package too like irst, Targeting pod, RF jammer, and that israeli terain following feature, not the major downgrade one!

Don't know, but to me build a fighter and puting request for Special specification is not an easy feat and not an cheaper options. To Made them had the exactly same specs and built in with Korean model is the more viable way for cashstrap nation like Indonesia.

joedhie2k

Committed member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
There should be no difference in design for KFX and IFX..

BUT....... our side can fuck up things with their ffbnw mindset hahahahaha
like targeting pod and jammer pod along with weapons will be purchased separately..
even maybe radar can be purchased separately..

also looking from dev of Typhoon and F-35, initial capability will be limited and will have teething problem.. like air to ground capabilities maybe not show up 2-3 years after initial op capabilities..

this can lead to some stupid official claiming that the plane is not worth it and push his own agenda to import new fighter (and claim his own pension fund)

never underestimate stupidity of indonesian govt/military official

Indos

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
The technological gap is related to production as design has been completed in the end of 2019. Indonesian design engineers are fully committed to help the design process since 2011 until its completion in around the end of 2019. September 2019 was CDR meeting (detail design completion).

We will get huge knowledge in production stage as well inshaAllah since many of the fuselage material are composite and titanium.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom