Indonesia Indonesian Navy, Tentara Nasional Indonesia-Angkatan Laut (TNI-AL)

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,359
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
LPD will be quite far away from the shores during amphibious ops, you will need a bigger gun for max effect.
We still have 5 otmel 76mm on ahmad yani class.

We're not short of deck gun for the navy, especially that new frigates are coming. Air attack remains the greater threat for the transports.

some of thoseex-Van Speijk otmel should at least arm our bakamla OPV's.

deadlast

Committed member
Professional
Reactions
2 352
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Any plans to arms our LPD?
There are rumor some years back to fit our LPD with Dardo CIWS, nothing come out of that rumor so far and AFAIK, new order for 40mm cannon will be coming from Italy Leonardo for the PC-60m patrol boat, I'm not sure whether they going to fit the same gun on the LPD or not though.

FPXAllen

Contributor
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
4 1,620
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
you will need a bigger gun for max effect
Ahem...

DSC_0306.jpg

After we mounted a 105 mm howitzer on top of our LPD's deck during the (cancelled) Somalia raid, I'd like to imagine that some of the TNI upper brass are thinking to chain a Caesar 155 mm howitzer on top deck just to see if we could (or for shit and giggles, probably) 😝

Either that we're too creative or just "kepepet". Or both :ROFLMAO:

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,359
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Ahem...

DSC_0306.jpg

After we mounted a 105 mm howitzer on top of our LPD's deck during the (cancelled) Somalia raid, I'd like to imagine that some of the TNI upper brass are thinking to chain a Caesar 155 mm howitzer on top deck just to see if we could (or for shit and giggles, probably) 😝

Either that we're too creative or just "kepepet". Or both :ROFLMAO:

Turning/modifying the Makassar class into a mini helo carrier with attack helo would be more realistic for me than this kind of experiment.

The accuracy from such method of slaving a land based artillery without sufficient integration to the ship FCR would be absolute shit because of sea conditions.

In fact I wonder why hadn't we try using those helo decks in the LPD's and use them chopper as fire support for the marines. At least it'll be more accurate. 🙂

NEKO

Experienced member
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
3 2,492
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Hmm... it looks cool, that's all.
With current technology you cant deceive the other using these kind of paint scheme, we are not in ww1 / ww2 anymore, its easy to determine speed, distance and bearing with modern electronics. Still looks cool tho.

Talking about paint, is it just me or US ship have grey-ish paint while european mostly using white-ish paint?
This
Or this

some of thoseex-Van Speijk otmel should at least arm our bakamla OPV's.
Inter institution hibah?
If Bakamla wants to buy some alutsista (like new otmel) will they do it on their own or through MoD?

FPXAllen

Contributor
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
4 1,620
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Turning/modifying the Makassar class into a mini helo carrier with attack helo would be more realistic for me than this kind of experiment.

The accuracy from such method of slaving a land based artillery without sufficient integration to the ship FCR would be absolute shit because of sea conditions.

In fact I wonder why hadn't we try using those helo decks in the LPD's and use them chopper as fire support for the marines. At least it'll be more accurate. 🙂
Oh indeed, I concur. While we have the saying of "tiada akar rotan pun jadi" but in this case we certainly have better options now than just slapping some land-based artillery systems on top of our LPD decks. To begin with, those decks were not designed to handle the recoil or hot exhaust gases from the rockets.

However, if we're serious about using ship-based attack helos, soon we will have to seriously consider building some proper helicopter carriers and not just converted LPD.

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,359
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
However, if we're serious about using ship-based attack helos, soon we will have to seriously consider building some proper helicopter carriers and not just converted LPD.
Yeah maybe one day.

But I suggest we learn how to defend our ships first, have you seen the recent navy exercise where they try to shoot F-16 with .50 cal ?

FPXAllen

Contributor
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
4 1,620
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Yeah maybe one day.

But I suggest we learn how to defend our ships first, have you seen the recent navy exercise where they try to shoot F-16 with .50 cal ?
No, I haven't. I've only saw the exercise where they try to shoot down attacking F-16 with a Bofors 40mm. Manually.

Still, both are not going to be effective to counter sea skimming AShMs.

Simply put, this is just one of so many homeworks for our military that they have to get it done as soon as possible.

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,359
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
No, I haven't. I've only saw the exercise where they try to shoot down attacking F-16 with a Bofors 40mm. Manually.

Still, both are not going to be effective to counter sea skimming AShMs.

Simply put, this is just one of so many homeworks for our military that they have to get it done as soon as possible.
So this is our idea of an air attack, I've seen this like multiple time. The last one involve Sukhoi's

248550702_4130069847101327_3898414582948850180_n.jpg

THIS......

is the kind of capability we would want to have before we start even talking about purchasing expensive assets like an LHD.

in war transports instead of warships are more prized.

NEKO

Experienced member
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
3 2,492
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Is there list of the ships involved in the exercise?

Is it allowed for foreign vessels to conduct research in our EEZ without permission?
Could it be that we are not protesting but instead doing this exercise?

Is it that our Hand of the king is more powerful compared to MoFA even in the foreign affair matters?
Investment, internal security and even foreign affairs, Hand of the king is so influential indeed.

Top Bottom