Indos

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Yes, but they speak of Flares and IR markers in the article, if i know correctly these are rather used for ground target marking. Do they refer to flares dispatched by an aerial platform to perform as a decoy hanging on the air for the missile? And some another unmanned platform towing sort of IR decoy?

I dont have any idea on this program, just relying on the explanation coming from Dahana researcher quoted in the news.

IMO more sophisticated missile program is in our cruise missile program where Indonesian Aerospace is part of the consortium, just wait Indo Defense event in November 2022, many programs will be shown there.

Indos

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
We are waiting this 2 stages rocket test, the test will be either in 2024 or 2025 based on plan. 2 weeks ago LAPAN has launched rocket as well, but smaller caliber rocket

Sonda rocket made by LAPAN (National Institute of Aeronautics and Space) is a type of rocket for research purposes, which is usually used to carry research instruments at an altitude of 48 - 145 km above the earth's surface or the space between the maximum height of the hot air balloon and the satellite. Lapan has an agenda for 2021-2025 to develop a two-stage rocket with an altitude of 300 kilometers.

Lordimperator

Experienced member
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
1 2,501
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
We are waiting this 2 stages rocket test, the test will be either in 2024 or 2025 based on plan. 2 weeks ago LAPAN has launched rocket as well, but smaller caliber rocket

Sonda rocket made by LAPAN (National Institute of Aeronautics and Space)
Looks cool, hopedully it will be done well, wondering if we could convert it into Ballistic Missile

Indos

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Looks cool, hopedully it will be done well, wondering if we could convert it into Ballistic Missile

I hope they launched it in 2024. New BRIN Director has program to bring those Indonesian researchers working abroad to Indonesia and work in BRIN. The target is 160 people every year, last year he brings 60 people despite I think he become BRIN Director is in second semester 2021.

I think this is why Jokowi bring him to head BRIN. Despite so, budget issue is still a problem and this is why he fired many people in BRIN in order to make the available money more on research than paying the salaries. He doesnt admit it but I think it is the real reason.

Mandala

Contributor
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
269697247_4547783965319955_390376674821136027_n.png

Lordimperator

Experienced member
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
1 2,501
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia

Umigami

Experienced member
Indonesia Moderator
Reactions
5 4,816
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia

Var Dracon

Reactions
1 473
Nation of residence
Indonesia
I also noted (not from this video) that Sabrah light tank ordered by Philippines from Israel costed about 8.6 million USD each, assuming that they're only ordered 20 vehicle in the first batch which costed 172 million USD. Pindad Harimau is about 7 million USD.
Update on this: It looks like they also included 10 units Pandur with 105 mm gun (similar to Pindad Cobra but with Israel cannon and Hitfact turret) in their first batch. If we assume it has the same price as our Cobra, it will be about 36 million USD in cost. So 172-36 = 136 million USD for 20 Sabrah light tanks (6.8 million USD per tank).

If we use Philippines gov website as the reference, the contract is valued at 183 million USD, that means 183-36 = 147 million USD for 20 Sabrah light tanks (7.3 million USD per tank).

R4duga

Experienced member
Reactions
2 2,367
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia

Indos

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
STEALTH UCAV program is interesting, I hope soon we develop it under a consortium with Indonesian Aerospace will be the lead consortium. KF21/IFX program will have capability to have wingman drone anyway. I think the year 2025 can be the start, under new administration, but the conceptual design phase can be started next year (2023) or in 2024. In 2022 better focus more on MALE UCAV Elang Hitam, N 219 Amphibious, and KFX/IFX program.

Last edited:

FPXAllen

Contributor
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
4 1,611
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
STEALTH UCAV program is interesting, I hope soon we develop it under a consortium with Indonesian Aerospace will be the lead consortium. KF21/IFX program will have capability to have wingman drone anyway. I think the year 2025 can be the start, under new administration, but the conceptual design phase can be started next year (2023) or in 2024. In 2022 better focus more on MALE UCAV Elang Hitam, N 219 Amphibious, and KFX/IFX program.
While I'm usually cautiously optimistic regarding KF-21/IF-X, I have to say that I've my doubts regarding our ability to build our own stealth wingman for the IFX. It's not so much about designing and constructing one, since I think our engineers already have a good grasp in those aspects - and it's also not about the engine, since I believe we'll still have import one.

It's about networking aspect, mainly about designing and building a secure and jamming resistant network between the drone(s) and our IFX, as well as designing/building necessary electronic suite for the drone that is secure from third-party backdoors.

In any case, we can only wait and see how it will turn out.

Indos

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
While I'm usually cautiously optimistic regarding KF-21/IF-X, I have to say that I've my doubts regarding our ability to build our own stealth wingman for the IFX. It's not so much about designing and constructing one, since I think our engineers already have a good grasp in those aspects - and it's also not about the engine, since I believe we'll still have import one.

It's about networking aspect, mainly about designing and building a secure and jamming resistant network between the drone(s) and our IFX, as well as designing/building necessary electronic suite for the drone that is secure from third-party backdoors.

In any case, we can only wait and see how it will turn out.

This is why current MALE UCAV program is very essential to build those capabilities. We need to wait indigenous mission system that will be developed by PT LEN Industry which is said to be completed in 2023, LAPAN and ITB which are also part of the MALE UCAV consortium can also help that. PT Hariff Daya Tunggal Engineering can also be called to unify our capabilities.

Conceptual design that will be worked by PTDI as designer and lead integrator can be started next year or in 2024. Although most possibility will be during the start of new administration (2025-2029), but if Jokowi can start within his last term ( most probably during his final year in 2024), so the possibility for the program to keep going on in the next administration is bigger. Jokowi understand the need to develop UCAV technology, this is why MALE UCAV program is started in the early years of his first administration (beginning of 2015).

1642141794623.png

1642141832920.png

HILS (Hardware In the Loops Simulation System)
FCS (Flight Control System)
GCS (Ground Control System)

--------------------------------------

These main technologies that tried to be mastered according to BPPT head

Flight Control System technologies capable of Auto Take-Off Auto Landing (ATOL), Mission System, Weapon-platform integration and Composite Technology, Radar SAR, Inertial Navigation System (INS), Electro-Optics Targeting System (EOTS) and Guidance System.

1642142645610.png

Last edited:

FPXAllen

Contributor
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
4 1,611
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
This is why current MALE UCAV program is very essential to build those capabilities. We need to wait indigenous mission system that will be developed by PT LEN Industry which is said to be completed in 2023, LAPAN and ITB which are also part of the MALE UCAV consortium can also help that. PT Hariff Daya Tunggal Engineering can also be called to unify our capabilities.

Conceptual design that will be worked by PTDI as designer and lead integrator can be started next year or in 2024. Although most possibility will be during the start of new administration (2025-2029), but if Jokowi can start within his last term ( most probably during his final year in 2024), so the possibility for the program to keep going on in the next administration is bigger. Jokowi understand the need to develop UCAV technology, this is why MALE UCAV program is started in the early years of his first administration (beginning of 2015).

View attachment 38508
View attachment 38509

HILS (Hardware In the Loops Simulation System)
FCS (Flight Control System)
GCS (Ground Control System)

--------------------------------------

These main technologies that tried to be mastered according to BPPT head

Flight Control System technologies capable of Auto Take-Off Auto Landing (ATOL), Mission System, Weapon-platform integration and Composite Technology, Radar SAR, Inertial Navigation System (INS), Electro-Optics Targeting System (EOTS) and Guidance System.

View attachment 38510
No, no, I think you misunderstand my points in my previous reply.

It's not about designing and building such systems and integrating them - those are the things that, I believe, we already have the capabilities to do so.

It's about designing and building secure systems and making sure that the chance for third party to compromise such systems will be minimized as much as possible.

Because we currently don't have semiconductor manufacturing capability, we still have to depend on foreign sources for that. If we're not, shall I say, "paranoid enough" and build our systems in ways that will provide layered security measures which can mitigate even hardware-baked backdoors as much as possible, then we can't really depend on our own drones if one day they will have be used against technologically advanced adversaries.

With that said, I think it's necessary to have every companies which are involved in building these systems to be audited closely to find out where they source their hardwares/components from - especially sensitive ones like microprocessors, ICs and such.

Lonewolf

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
India
Nation of origin
India
Pr
Unfortunately i don't have any.
Project timelines ? Basic objectives ? Or the program is under wrap and spotted in images only ?

Btw , flying wing design is a bit tough nut to crack , will take more time than usual , lift generating surfaces are different to what usual engineer are experienced of . Like most countries u will make a scale down version first , keep a eye on your academia research and wind tunnel facilities and tender .

satria

Contributor
Indonesia Correspondent
Reactions
7 1,052
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
ITB's Bulletproof Panel Withstands Sniper Shot From 5 Meters

1080471_720.jpg

Bulletproof panels made by ITB are made from local materials, namely rubber and hemp fiber. This panel that can replace imported kevlar has been tested by Pindad. (PHOTO/ITB)

The Bandung Institute of Technology (ITB) research team made bulletproof panels using local rubber and hemp fiber. The panel passed a shooting test with a sniper rifle from a distance of five meters.

"The speed of the bullet is up to 856 meters per second and does not penetrate, so we are happy with the result," said Team Leader Mardiyati to Tempo, Wednesday, January 12, 2022.

Apart from Mardiyati, the team also consisted of Ahmad Nuruddin, Arief Hariyanto, Steven, Onny Aulia Rachman, and Muhammad Hisyam Ramadhan, all of whom came from the Materials Polymeter Laboratory. The testing is in collaboration with PT Pindad.

The time of testing is on November 18, 2021, by Pindad staff, with bullets and rifles made by the weapons factory in Bandung. The type of weapon used is the SPR-3 caliber 7.62 millimeters.

During testing, the bullet-proof panel measuring 25.8 x 17 and 2.5 centimeters thick was shot at two points. The ITB research team brought five panel samples. Each panel has a different composition of local materials.

Usually, said Mardiyati, all bulletproof materials use imported materials. For example, Kevlar which uses an epoxy composite, or glass fiber with epoxy.

Starting from the literature study in mid-2020, the ITB team tried to replace it with local materials. The goal is to avoid dependence on foreign countries and comply with domestic component level regulations (TKDN), including for the military.

"Because this is a composite material, we see that natural rubber is very possible to dampen bullets," said Mardiyati. Rubber replaces epoxy, while flax fiber shifts the dominance of glass fiber (fiberglass).

Examples of panels that are made are made from 100 percent hemp fiber. In addition, there is a composition of hemp fiber material of 25, 50, and 75 percent, the rest is mixed with glass fiber.

From the test results, panels made of rubber with 100 percent hemp fiber were proven to fail to block bullets. "The limit is that half of the bullets can enter," said Mardiyati.

The panels with 25, 50, and 75 percent flax fiber successfully resisted bullets. From a panel thickness of 25 millimeters, the bullet only scratches with a depth of 2, 6, and 10 millimeters. "The bullet did not penetrate but stuck in the panel," he said.

The results are also juxtaposed with bulletproof materials which are all imported. Another advantage of the panel that passed the firing test is that it is lighter in weight.

On the 75 percent flax fiber panel, said Mardiyati, it weighs 965 grams. "But if 100 percent glass fiber is almost 1.5 kilograms or 1500 grams," he said.

ITB's Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship Development financed the research of this bulletproof panel from natural and local materials with a fund of Rp 150 million.

1080492_720.jpg

Other uses, for example, are to protect the underside of helicopters, detention houses, or shelters. However, Mardiyati revealed, recently there was an architect consultant who wanted to discuss the possibility of installing bulletproof panels on the wooden house design.

"It can also be used for vehicles, whether on the door or otherwise, the panels can still be shaped according to the contours because they are flexible and made of natural rubber," added this female doctoral researcher.

The composition of other ingredients is flax fiber 25, 50, or 75 percent, the rest is glass fiber. The advantages of composite materials, he said, "We can adjust to what needs and specifications."

The panel underwent a firing test according to military standards at PT Pindad, Bandung, last November. During the test, the ITB team brought five samples of bulletproof panels, each measuring 25.8 x 17 with a thickness of 2.5 centimeters.

Each panel with a different composition of materials, each shot twice at a different point from a distance of 5 meters. The type of weapon used is the SPR-3 caliber 7.62 millimeters by snipers.

From the test results, the team together with the Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship Development, ITB, which financed the research, wanted the panels to be produced. "It can also be made by a local company, we just sell the license," said Mardiyati.

Regarding the price in the market, he hopes to be cheaper than imported products because the main ingredients such as natural rubber and hemp fiber are available in Indonesia.

Last edited:

Var Dracon

Reactions
1 473
Nation of residence
Indonesia
ITB's Bulletproof Panel Withstands Sniper Shot From 5 Meters

1080471_720.jpg

Bulletproof panels made by ITB are made from local materials, namely rubber and hemp fiber. This panel that can replace imported kevlar has been tested by Pindad. (PHOTO/ITB)

The Bandung Institute of Technology (ITB) research team made bulletproof panels using local rubber and hemp fiber. The panel passed a shooting test with a sniper rifle from a distance of five meters.

"The speed of the bullet is up to 856 meters per second and does not penetrate, so we are happy with the result," said Team Leader Mardiyati to Tempo, Wednesday, January 12, 2022.

Apart from Mardiyati, the team also consisted of Ahmad Nuruddin, Arief Hariyanto, Steven, Onny Aulia Rachman, and Muhammad Hisyam Ramadhan, all of whom came from the Materials Polymeter Laboratory. The testing is in collaboration with PT Pindad.

The time of testing is on November 18, 2021, by Pindad staff, with bullets and rifles made by the weapons factory in Bandung. The type of weapon used is the SPR-3 caliber 7.62 millimeters.

During testing, the bullet-proof panel measuring 25.8 x 17 and 2.5 centimeters thick was shot at two points. The ITB research team brought five panel samples. Each panel has a different composition of local materials.

Usually, said Mardiyati, all bulletproof materials use imported materials. For example, Kevlar which uses an epoxy composite, or glass fiber with epoxy.

Starting from the literature study in mid-2020, the ITB team tried to replace it with local materials. The goal is to avoid dependence on foreign countries and comply with domestic component level regulations (TKDN), including for the military.

"Because this is a composite material, we see that natural rubber is very possible to dampen bullets," said Mardiyati. Rubber replaces epoxy, while flax fiber shifts the dominance of glass fiber (fiberglass).

Examples of panels that are made are made from 100 percent hemp fiber. In addition, there is a composition of hemp fiber material of 25, 50, and 75 percent, the rest is mixed with glass fiber.

From the test results, panels made of rubber with 100 percent hemp fiber were proven to fail to block bullets. "The limit is that half of the bullets can enter," said Mardiyati.

The panels with 25, 50, and 75 percent flax fiber successfully resisted bullets. From a panel thickness of 25 millimeters, the bullet only scratches with a depth of 2, 6, and 10 millimeters. "The bullet did not penetrate but stuck in the panel," he said.

The results are also juxtaposed with bulletproof materials which are all imported. Another advantage of the panel that passed the firing test is that it is lighter in weight.

On the 75 percent flax fiber panel, said Mardiyati, it weighs 965 grams. "But if 100 percent glass fiber is almost 1.5 kilograms or 1500 grams," he said.

ITB's Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship Development financed the research of this bulletproof panel from natural and local materials with a fund of Rp 150 million.

1080492_720.jpg

Other uses, for example, are to protect the underside of helicopters, detention houses, or shelters. However, Mardiyati revealed, recently there was an architect consultant who wanted to discuss the possibility of installing bulletproof panels on the wooden house design.

"It can also be used for vehicles, whether on the door or otherwise, the panels can still be shaped according to the contours because they are flexible and made of natural rubber," added this female doctoral researcher.

The composition of other ingredients is flax fiber 25, 50, or 75 percent, the rest is glass fiber. The advantages of composite materials, he said, "We can adjust to what needs and specifications."

The panel underwent a firing test according to military standards at PT Pindad, Bandung, last November. During the test, the ITB team brought five samples of bulletproof panels, each measuring 25.8 x 17 with a thickness of 2.5 centimeters.

Each panel with a different composition of materials, each shot twice at a different point from a distance of 5 meters. The type of weapon used is the SPR-3 caliber 7.62 millimeters by snipers.

From the test results, the team together with the Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship Development, ITB, which financed the research, wanted the panels to be produced. "It can also be made by a local company, we just sell the license," said Mardiyati.

Regarding the price in the market, he hopes to be cheaper than imported products because the main ingredients such as natural rubber and hemp fiber are available in Indonesia.
7.62 mm SPR-3 Bullet only could penetrate 2 mm from 5 m distance? Seems too good to be true. But well, I'm not fully skeptical. This could be installed on helicopter such as those operating in Papua

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom