Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,162
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
What is the possibility of a railgun being employed on the MMU.
Any advantages and disadvantages?

A more capable power generation must be implemented on the engine side.
Mach 6 is faster than a cannon I believe, how much faster?
Fire rate; how many shots a minute?
How durable and reliable will it be?

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 18,012
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey

I think laser weapons are better for jet fighters.

Mis_TR_Like

Contributor
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
25 5,015
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus

An ECT autocannon, maybe. A railgun, no.

ECT has a high muzzle velocity, yet it is very similar to a normal gun. In fact I'm pretty sure standard barrels can be used in ECT guns. The difference is that is uses plasma to ignite the propellent. In addition to being able to fire high velocity rounds which contain a different propellent, they can also fire ordinary rounds. This makes them very practical. The only problem is that just like railguns they require an external power source.

Last edited:

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,162
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
0%

Sapan's muzzle energy: 1.3MJ = 1.300.000 J

Do you actually know how much more that is in comparison for example F-35's 20mm or A-10's 30mm?
A 7.62/51 NATO round has 3600 Joules, make the division.
You always have the option to gauge the gun down if not up. I didn't mention SAPAN in my question after all.

AzeriTank

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,760
Nation of residence
Azerbaijan
Nation of origin
Azerbaijan
You always have the option to gauge the gun down if not up. I didn't mention SAPAN in my question after all.

Example muzzle energy levels of different types of firearmsFirearmCaliberMuzzle energyft-lbfjoulesair gun spring.1771520air gun mag spring.222230air gun PCP.2230+40+pistol.22LR117159pistol9 mm383519pistol.45 ACP416564rifle5.56 × 45 mm1,3251,796rifle7.62 × 39 mm1,5272,070rifle7.62 × 51 mm2,8023,799heavy.50 BMG11,09115,037heavy14.5 × 114 mm23,74432,000

Screen shot 2021-01-18 at 1.03.23 PM.png

Oublious

Experienced member
The Netherlands Correspondent
Reactions
7 4,328
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
it needs at least <50% more speed and at best 2x more speed than its perfect

No need, more speed is damage to the gun. American have reached mach 10 and the gun litterally breaks. Mach 6 for a 10 kg projectile will go 100 Km. Enough if you ask me.

Bogeyman 

Experienced member
Professional
Reactions
60 29,294
Website
twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
No need, more speed is damage to the gun. American have reached mach 10 and the gun litterally breaks. Mach 6 for a 10 kg projectile will go 100 Km. Enough if you ask me.
10 kg? Currently, a few hundred grams of bullets are being tested. We do not have an infrastructure that can launch a 10 kg bullet at 6 Mach speed.

AzeriTank

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,760
Nation of residence
Azerbaijan
Nation of origin
Azerbaijan
10 kg? Currently, a few hundred grams of bullets are being tested. We do not have an infrastructure that can launch a 10 kg bullet at 6 Mach speed.
from my calculations, Tubitak used 600gram projectile... and im 100% sure based on these infos..

Oublious

Experienced member
The Netherlands Correspondent
Reactions
7 4,328
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey

In the end we will have to use something like that, are we going to use unguided bullets?

CAN_TR

Contributor
Reactions
11 4,957
Nation of residence
Austria
Nation of origin
Turkey
Of course, how do you want to guide such small projectiles which are moving with speeds of + Mach 6? And how should the guidencce kit survive the high speeds, muzzle energy, electricity etc.? The sparks coming out of the railgun are actually parts of the rail itself, the "barrel/rail life" is extremly short, therefore a lot of maintenance required.

ROKETSAN better wastes it's energy on hypersonic missiles.

mulj

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Of course, how do you want to guide such small projectiles which are moving with speeds of + Mach 6? And how should the guidencce kit survive the high speeds, muzzle energy, electricity etc.? The sparks coming out of the railgun are actually parts of the rail itself, the "barrel/rail life" is extremly short, therefore a lot of maintenance required.

ROKETSAN better wastes it's energy on hypersonic missiles.
I am not sure what guidance is needed at all, this is type fire and forget thing, targeting system is other matter, that is necessity.

CAN_TR

Contributor
Reactions
11 4,957
Nation of residence
Austria
Nation of origin
Turkey
I am not sure what guidance is needed at all, this is type fire and forget thing, targeting system is other matter, that is necessity.
Guidence of railgun projectiles would just slow it down, the whole idea makes no sense at all. With computers etc. you can calculate trajectory of your projectile and hostile target.

mulj

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Guidence of railgun projectiles would just slow it down, the whole idea makes no sense at all. With computers etc. you can calculate trajectory of your projectile and hostile target.
That what me logic tell to, more important thing is can this kind ow weapon work in some kind of burst mode.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,743
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom