Iran Unveils New Homegrown Multiple Ballistic ‘Missile Gun’

E

ekemenirtu

1. Iran's ambitions are regional, not global.
2. The geopolitical and economic cost of nuclear weapons is too high for Iran.
3. Your points about "critical mass" with regard to technological development are in parts moot, in others inconsistent with reality.

Interesting thoughts.

Would you be kind enough to elaborate? I would certainly love to hold an elaborate discussion on each of those three points, if you would be kind enough.

E

ekemenirtu

For some of the points you have raised I would read this blog article: https://patarames.blogspot.com/2020/11/a-proposal-for-iranian-icbm.html

Very interesting and informative read.

Is the author a member at this forum?

The calculations and estimations are interesting too.

However, the conclusion - that a Khorramshahr ballistic missile mated with a Salman motor stage - can be used for delivering lightweight 400 kg payload to continental USA from Iran is inconsistent with logic.

First, the author contends that the motor of the Khorramshahr ballistic missile is imported, if I am not mistaken. This severely restricts Iran's potential to ramp up production of the hypothetical ICBM using an imported motor.

Second, the USA is multiple times bigger a country than Iran, with multiple times bigger a population and a bigger military. Also a bigger military industrial complex and a civilian industry.

More cities and more targets of interest.

Assuming no Iranian ballistic missile is intercepted at launch phase and none of them are intercepted over continental USA at terminal phase - both are very unrealistic and highly optimistic cases from Iranian perspective - the damages done by a few thousand or 10k or 20k ballistic missiles with 400 kg conventional warheads will not be enough to deter the USA.

They are likely to harden the resolve of the American public, if anything.

Real deterrence for a country like Iran that is much smaller and with a smaller population, smaller military and a smaller military industrial complex would be in producing nuclear weapons and mass producing ICBM.

ICBMS need to be tested.

Any complex piece of machinery would need to be tested.

This is true for household items as it is true for fighter aircrafts and their subsystems, ballistic missiles and their subsystems, submarines and aircraft carriers and the subsystems contained there.

Without adequate testing, there is no way of determining if a complicated piece of equipment would function adequately well.

Now, I understand that there may be political pressure on Iranian politicians, citizens and/or expatriates living outside Iran not to disclose, discuss or debate such issues.

In that case, I would not like to place anybody under undue difficulty. Sorry if this discussion put anybody in a difficult position.

My objective is merely to hold interesting discussions and exchange ideas.

A

adenl

First, the author contends that the motor of the Khorramshahr ballistic missile is imported, if I am not mistaken. This severely restricts Iran's potential to ramp up production of the hypothetical ICBM using an imported motor.
I don't reach this conclusion when I read the article. Iran produces the missile engine domestically.

A

adenl

Assuming no Iranian ballistic missile is intercepted at launch phase and none of them are intercepted over continental USA at terminal phase - both are very unrealistic and highly optimistic cases from Iranian perspective - the damages done by a few thousand or 10k or 20k ballistic missiles with 400 kg conventional warheads will not be enough to deter the USA.
Well, if the Iranians manage to keep the price per MIRV low, a 35 ton ICBM with 3 warheads with pin-point accuracy (yet to be achieved by anyone) would need a production number of 2000 ICBM's to target every airplane of the USAF (6000 airplanes). It may seem far fetched right now, but 10 years in the future, who knows what Iranian missile tech breakthrough makes such an ICBM cheap and precise enough to be build in the 1000's.

Last edited by a moderator:
E

ekemenirtu

Well, if the Iranians manage to make to keep the price per MIRV low, a 35 ton ICBM with 3 warheads with pin-point accuracy (yet to be achievedby anyone) would need a production number of 2000 ICBM's to target every airplane of the USAF (6000 airplanes). It may seem far fetched right now, but 10 years in the future, who knows what Iranian missile tech breakthrough makes such an ICBM cheap and precise enough to be build in the 1000's.

Iran probably lacks the Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaisance (ISR) systems to effectively identify and track all aircrafts halfway around the world.

The locations of cities, or other fixed structures such as the White House, the Pentagon, naval bases, airbases, defence industries, Area 51, CIA headquarters and such are well known.

Those fixed sites will not need to be tracked in real time to assure a hit. Aircrafts or other movable weapon systems will need to be tracked to assure a hit.

A

adenl

Iran probably lacks the Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaisance (ISR) systems to effectively identify and track all aircrafts halfway around the world.

The locations of cities, or other fixed structures such as the White House, the Pentagon, naval bases, airbases, defence industries, Area 51, CIA headquarters and such are well known.

Those fixed sites will not need to be tracked in real time to assure a hit. Aircrafts or other movable weapon systems will need to be tracked to assure a hit.
Iran currently does not have that ISR capability yet, but with cubesats and a large SLV, one could launch up to a 100 of them in one go which would give Iran the capability to monitor every square meter of this planet with just a 30 minute interval. This capability is within Iran's means in 10 years time IMO.

E

ekemenirtu

Iran currently does not have that ISR capability yet, but with cubesats and a large SLV, one could launch up to a 100 of them in one go which would give Iran the capability to monitor every square meter of this planet with just a 30 minute interval. This capability is within Iran's means in 10 years time IMO.

A constellation of satellites in low earth orbit would provide Iran with the ability to monitor the other side of the planet in real time. Would Iran be able to build and launch so many satellites at short notice? Unlikely, if you ask me, going by history.

Would Iran be able to miniaturize sensors to that extent? I am not sure either.

E

ekemenirtu

Yeah, the engine is a copy of the R-27 engine, which Iran produces domestically. You are reading it wrong. If you are still not convinced, I advise you to contact him on his blog page.

Is there any evidence that Iran produces the reverse engineered motor of the R-27 missile domestically?

Anything more substantial than a blogger?

Maybe videos or official confirmation?

Let me see if I can ask him in his blog.

A

adenl

A constellation of satellites in low earth orbit would provide Iran with the ability to monitor the other side of the planet in real time. Would Iran be able to build and launch so many satellites at short notice? Unlikely, if you ask me, going by history.

Would Iran be able to miniaturize sensors to that extent? I am not sure either.
The Noor-1 satellite is a COTS cubesat with IR capability that detect heat signatures. When one compares these signatures with previous regular satellite photos, one can judge where there is activity or not.

A

adenl

Is there any evidence that Iran produces the reverse engineered motor of the R-27 missile domestically?

Anything more substantial than a blogger?

Maybe videos or official confirmation?

Let me see if I can ask him in his blog.
They got the engine and know-how from the Koreans. There is no doubt the Iranians built the engines domestically. Where else would they get these rare SLBM engines from? The Russians?

If you are this ignorant about Irans missile program, you should lurk more instead of replying.

Bogeyman 

Experienced member
Professional
Reactions
60 29,441
Website
twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

Arda Mevlütoğlu and Dr. Sıtkı Egeli's evaluations on Iran's ballistic missile and cruise missile programs. Those who know Turkish should listen. Let them tell those who do not know. :sneaky:

A

adenl

Arda Mevlütoğlu and Dr. Sıtkı Egeli's evaluations on Iran's ballistic missile and cruise missile programs. Those who know Turkish should listen. Let them tell those who do not know. :sneaky:
Any interesting things they say?

Bogeyman 

Experienced member
Professional
Reactions
60 29,441
Website
twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Any interesting things they say?
You don't want to miss this. It had been a really useful program. They talked about how nuclear weapons can be integrated into which missiles. They talked about the point where guidance systems have come.
Don't miss, be sure to watch

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom