Foulgrim

Greece Moderator
Reactions
1 629
Nation of residence
Greece
Nation of origin
Greece
There is a hostile county in the region which aggressively has expanded its coasts and demands to take international waters.
There is no aggressive expansion on the part of Greece. The extension of territorial waters from 6 to 12 nautical miles is a right that all states of the world have. I can not understand why you insist on a mentality that does not make sense. The Blue Homeland that just exists? All the islands in the Aegean are Greek with the exception of Imvros and Tenedos. As for the incident with the 4 F-16s of the Hellenic Air Force where you are supposed to have harassed Cesme, we will see if it is true. If it is true then Greece was really provocative, but if it is not true Turkey should apologize for these myths.

S

Sinan

Of course, I have no problem. The term used in UNCLOS III is "Archipelagic waters" and says, among other things:
The convention sets the definition of "Archipelagic States" in Part IV, which also defines how the state can draw its territorial borders. A baseline is drawn between the outermost points of the outermost islands, subject to these points being sufficiently close to one another. All waters inside this baseline are designated "Archipelagic Waters". The state has sovereignty over these waters (like internal waters), but subject to existing rights including traditional fishing rights of immediately adjacent states. Foreign vessels have right of innocent passage through archipelagic waters (like territorial waters).
UNCLOS III
Thanks, as it's stated. "Archipelagic waters" are not related with EEZ but territorial waters.

I thought, we were talking on EEZ. Sorry for my mistake.

T

Turko

There is no aggressive expansion on the part of Greece. The extension of territorial waters from 6 to 12 nautical miles is a right that all states of the world have. I can not understand why you insist on a mentality that does not make sense. The Blue Homeland that just exists? All the islands in the Aegean are Greek with the exception of Imvros and Tenedos.
İt does make sense. You have been acting agressively because you had already increase From 3miles to 6 miles.
" A right that all states of world" Absolutely not. You would have a right unless the Egean were internal waters shared between two countries.

You would have a right unless Türkiye sucreficed own rights over the Egean sea.

Why don't you accept current peaceful situation? Why are you so greedy and grasping?

Foulgrim

Greece Moderator
Reactions
1 629
Nation of residence
Greece
Nation of origin
Greece
Thanks, as it's stated. "Archipelagic waters" are not related with EEZ but territorial waters.

I thought, we were talking on EEZ. Sorry for my mistake.
In order for there to be an Exclusive Economic Zone, Greece must do something, unfortunately it has not done so. The declaration of 12 nautical miles (territorial waters) is something completely different from the Exclusive Economic Zone. I have posted a diagram from Wikipedia. It does not matter, mistakes are made.

Foulgrim

Greece Moderator
Reactions
1 629
Nation of residence
Greece
Nation of origin
Greece
İt does make sense. You have been acting agressively because you had already increase From 3miles to 6 miles.
" A right that all states of world" Absolutely not. You would have a right unless the Egean were internal waters shared between two countries.

You would have a right unless Türkiye sucreficed own rights over the Egean sea.

Why don't you accept current peaceful situation? Why are you so greedy and grasping?
The extension of territorial waters is a right of each state according to the Law of the Sea. There are no exceptions to this. In order for Greece to increase its territorial waters in the Aegean, it will have to give inhabited and uninhabited islands to Turkey; This is immediate offensive action! But the Aegean Sea is a territorial extension of Greece for the most part, what to do now. That does not change. This photo proves the island groups that Greece holds in the Aegean. Where exactly is Turkey in this area? Nowhere! I did not know that I would have to negotiate for my own territorial waters with a foreign state. If so, give us rights to the Sea of Marmara or the Black Sea.
Aegean_Sea_with_island_groups_labeled.gif

T

Turko

In order for there to be an Exclusive Economic Zone, Greece must do something, unfortunately it has not done so. The declaration of 12 nautical miles (territorial waters) is something completely different from the Exclusive Economic Zone. I have posted a diagram from Wikipedia. It does not matter, mistakes are made.
You can't do anything because islands never generate EEZ. Just continental shelf generates. There are a lot of decision of international court.

T

Turko

The extension of territorial waters is a right of each state according to the Law of the Sea. There are no exceptions to this. In order for Greece to increase its territorial waters in the Aegean, it will have to give inhabited and uninhabited islands to Turkey; This is immediate offensive action! But the Aegean Sea is a territorial extension of Greece for the most part, what to do now. That does not change. This photo proves the island groups that Greece holds in the Aegean. Where exactly is Turkey in this area? Nowhere!

Why don't you understand the fact that the Egean sea is inland sea. Riparian countries have equal rights.

But your behavior kinda " we have islands we can do whatever we want, we can expand our coasts"
How many miles does Turkey have coastal line? Why don't we demand all eastern islands ? According to your logic we should have already taken all eastern island which are on anatolian continental shelf. That's why I am telling " Greece acts agressively".

Foulgrim

Greece Moderator
Reactions
1 629
Nation of residence
Greece
Nation of origin
Greece
You can't do anything because islands never generate EEZ. Just continental shelf generates. There are a lot of decision of international court.
The Exclusive Economic Zone is also a right of the islands, the following image undoubtedly confirms it. For example, among these are the Pacific Islands, the US islands in Alaska and the islands in the China Sea. That is, it is like telling me that Japan does not have an Exclusive Economic Zone! These are jokes.

World EEZ

T

Turko

The Exclusive Economic Zone is also a right of the islands, the following image undoubtedly confirms it. For example, among these are the Pacific Islands, the US islands in Alaska and the islands in the China Sea. That is, it is like telling me that Japan does not have an Exclusive Economic Zone! These are jokes.

World EEZ
İt is just your humble opinion , it generates unless the EEZ is contigenous to the another states.
To sum up, all your claims and demands have consist of more coastal lines, new EEZ, ebolishing international waters. Just agression and hostile.

Foulgrim

Greece Moderator
Reactions
1 629
Nation of residence
Greece
Nation of origin
Greece
Why don't you understand the fact that the Egean sea is inland sea. Riparian countries have equal rights.

But your behavior kinda " we have islands we can do whatever we want, we can expand our coasts"
How many miles does Turkey have coastal line? Why don't we demand all eastern islands ? According to your logic we should have already taken all eastern island which are on anatolian continental shelf. That's why I am telling " Greece acts agressively".
Let the experts examine whether the Aegean is a riparian area. Theoretically, say that the Aegean is a riverside area. According to this logic, we must leave the international waters of the Aegean free and manageable equally in Greece and Turkey. This is a topic for discussion, but not to talk about the Aegean islands or whether they can have 12 nautical miles, that is unacceptable. You are the one who has created a problem with the Greek islands near the coasts of Asia Minor. The territorial waters of the Aegean cannot enter into a framework of conciliation between the two countries because it is the right of each. The international waters of the Aegean could be considered as a riparian area without the declaration of an Exclusive Economic Zone in the wider region. Let the two countries discuss this.

CAN_TR

Contributor
Reactions
11 4,951
Nation of residence
Austria
Nation of origin
Turkey
12nm would cut free passage for Turkish transport vessels, Greek coastguard could and btw. would stop any of these ships, someone swimming in the water or sitting on a boat near the Turkish coastline can asked for papers, this is ridiculous. Anyone would consider this as aggression.

Greece either agrees on equal terms or the Turkish side will continue it's business, no matter how much support you gather around.

Costin84

Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Romania
The extension of territorial waters is a right of each state according to the Law of the Sea. There are no exceptions to this. In order for Greece to increase its territorial waters in the Aegean, it will have to give inhabited and uninhabited islands to Turkey; This is immediate offensive action! But the Aegean Sea is a territorial extension of Greece for the most part, what to do now. That does not change. This photo proves the island groups that Greece holds in the Aegean. Where exactly is Turkey in this area? Nowhere! I did not know that I would have to negotiate for my own territorial waters with a foreign state. If so, give us rights to the Sea of Marmara or the Black Sea.
Can't Greece declare 12 miles for Crete and the other islands near Greece but settle for 6 miles for the islands near the Anatolian coast?

Foulgrim

Greece Moderator
Reactions
1 629
Nation of residence
Greece
Nation of origin
Greece
Can't Greece declare 12 miles for Crete and the other islands near Greece but settle for 6 miles for the islands near the Anatolian coast?
This is the paradox that exists right now! The territorial waters of the Greek Aegean islands should be extended to 12 nautical miles. Turkey can do the same on the coasts of Asia Minor.

Test7

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
18 19,918
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
This is not possible. It covers all islands if 12 miles declared. As I said before, Greek coast guard boats can ask for passports from people swimming on the Turkish coast. If you put your feet in the sea, it will be a violation. Even if Turkish military and civil ships are moored in port, they will be violating. Actually, this is a stillborn demand. I do not think this is a issue worth discussing. If Greece could realize this claim, it would have declared by now. I think they know very well that this cannot happen.

Costin84

Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Romania
I think that this is the only way Turkey and Greece can come to a common understanding. It's logical, in my opinion that Greece should declare 12 miles for Crete but not for Chios. This is just an example.

Foulgrim

Greece Moderator
Reactions
1 629
Nation of residence
Greece
Nation of origin
Greece
This is not possible. It covers all islands if 12 miles declared. As I said before, Greek coast guard boats can ask for passports from people swimming on the Turkish coast. If you put your feet in the sea, it will be a violation. Even if Turkish military and civil ships are moored in port, they will be violating. Actually, this is a stillborn demand. I do not think this is a issue worth discussing. If Greece could realize this claim, it would have declared by now. I think they know very well that this cannot happen.
There is the possibility of safe passage in the territorial waters of Greece according to the Law of the Sea. I do not think that the display of a flag by the ships passing through the territorial waters is a sign of aggression. I am clearly talking about territorial waters, not an Exclusive Economic Zone because the Aegean is considered a riparian area.

CAN_TR

Contributor
Reactions
11 4,951
Nation of residence
Austria
Nation of origin
Turkey
I think that this is the only way Turkey and Greece can come to a common understanding. It's logical, in my opinion that Greece should declare 12 miles for Crete but not for Chios. This is just an example.
Turkey would also reject it on Crete even if not harmed by it. You can't declare 12nm here and ignore other parts, it makes no sense.

Costin84

Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Romania
Turkey would also reject it on Crete even if not harmed by it. You can't declare 12nm here and ignore other parts, it makes no sense.
It makes sense if both parties agree on the areas where the 12 miles is reasonable and where it's not

Follow us on social media

Latest posts

Top Bottom