Experienced member
Lead Moderator
Reactions
81 16,544
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey
Can someone give me a rundown on Abu Hanifa? I kinda feel like I should be annoyed about this as an Azerbaijani but I don't know enough to make a clear judgement call.
They are a group found by Abu Fatima Al-Turki and currently led by Abu Hanifa Al Adhari and officially their name is Jundullah. They are a small independent group of foreign (mainly Azerbaijani) fighters that were stationed in the Turkmen Mountain (Jabal Turkman). There are reports about them which are concerning including extortions, theft etc. Reportedly once they made a car deal with another group and they killed the members of the other group and stole the cars. This is an example of what kind of group they are.

Even that they are involved in crime this is only the authorization for the HTS to launch that operation. The real reason is that HTS pressure other groups to either join them or face annihilation. Small groups like Jundullah and also Jund Ash-Sham that is led by the prominent Georgian (Chechen) fighter Muslim Shishani faced the same fate. HTS openly launched an operation to "restore order" against Abu Hanifa but covertly they targeted Muslim Shishani and his group as well. Because of the good reputation of Muslim Shishani among the other fighters and groups they didn't want to fight Muslim Shishani openly. Earlier they threatened him and urged him to leave Syria. His home was even attacked and HTS sent a delegation to his home to tell him that he should leave.

After the operation HTS launched Muslim Shishani and ~70 of his fighters left the Turkmen Mountain. HTS sent a negotiation group consisting of mainly Turkic fighters part of different groups and the retreat of Abu Hanifa group was ensured. Rumors are circulating that MIT had arrested the brother of Muslim Shishani that is named Musa Shishani and transferred him to Turkey but this could just be a propaganda. Now these groups are in great danger and it will be interesting to see the developments. Are they going to leave Syria or they are going to stay and fight is yet to be seen.

the

Reactions
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Expected areas if an operation takes place:

october 2021 syria operation v2.png

Anastasius

Contributor
Azerbaijan Moderator
Reactions
3 2,935
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Azerbaijan
They are a group found by Abu Fatima Al-Turki and currently led by Abu Hanifa Al Adhari and officially their name is Jundullah. They are a small independent group of foreign (mainly Azerbaijani) fighters that were stationed in the Turkmen Mountain (Jabal Turkman). There are reports about them which are concerning including extortions, theft etc. Reportedly once they made a car deal with another group and they killed the members of the other group and stole the cars. This is an example of what kind of group they are.

Even that they are involved in crime this is only the authorization for the HTS to launch that operation. The real reason is that HTS pressure other groups to either join them or face annihilation. Small groups like Jundullah and also Jund Ash-Sham that is led by the prominent Georgian (Chechen) fighter Muslim Shishani faced the same fate. HTS openly launched an operation to "restore order" against Abu Hanifa but covertly they targeted Muslim Shishani and his group as well. Because of the good reputation of Muslim Shishani among the other fighters and groups they didn't want to fight Muslim Shishani openly. Earlier they threatened him and urged him to leave Syria. His home was even attacked and HTS sent a delegation to his home to tell him that he should leave.

After the operation HTS launched Muslim Shishani and ~70 of his fighters left the Turkmen Mountain. HTS sent a negotiation group consisting of mainly Turkic fighters part of different groups and the retreat of Abu Hanifa group was ensured. Rumors are circulating that MIT had arrested the brother of Muslim Shishani that is named Musa Shishani and transferred him to Turkey but this could just be a propaganda. Now these groups are in great danger and it will be interesting to see the developments. Are they going to leave Syria or they are going to stay and fight is yet to be seen.
Ah, so this is mainly HTS trying to take out their rivals. Well, can't expect much from an Al-Qaeda offshoot. I only hope that TAF has some kind of Order 66 planned to get rid of the HTS once their usefulness expires.

Kartal1

Experienced member
Lead Moderator
Reactions
81 16,544
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey
Ah, so this is mainly HTS trying to take out their rivals. Well, can't expect much from an Al-Qaeda offshoot. I only hope that TAF has some kind of Order 66 planned to get rid of the HTS once their usefulness expires.
Exactly. HTS is doing the sweeping against the more radical groups like the official Al-Qaeda wing for Syria Huras Ad-Deen. They are very active against ISIS and the other radical groups including the Abu Baqr Siddik which targeted TSK recently.

HTS tries hard to rebrand itself, create international relations and are working together with CIA and MIT on these cases. HTS also have a stance against the foreign fighters on Syrian soil even if they are allied to foreign fighter groups and also have foreigners in their ranks including on senior positions. With all these moves HTS wants to be recognized and removed from the "terror list" of the US and Turkey and as far as I know there were really talks in the US regarding that.

For me they are a dangerous power not only for Syria but also for Turkey. Unfortunately at the moment they are the best trained and equipped opposition fighters as of now. As you said I hope that a way for their disbanding will be found and the radical elements of HTS are isolated and hunted down while the moderate part join the SNA.

Julani the leader of the HTS is very intelligent and ambitious man who knows how to protest against decisions of seniors and seize power. He can't take being shadowed and he is charismatic enough to fighters with the same mindset. These qualities are also making them a dangerous man for Turkey and Turkey's national security.

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,696
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
We should set up a huge combined Turkish lobby in the US. Turkic countries+ our allies like Azerbaijan, Qatar, Pakistan+ African friends, and partners. We can have a sizeable diplomatic and political weight with this approach.

Lool

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
11 4,731
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Albania
Iam not surprised tbh and dont get me wrong, it isnt only the Armenians, West in general is hostile to Turkey due to its Imperial heritage that spanned hundreds of years and destroyed all the major christian dynasties and kept them crawling in fear for hundreds of years. IMO, the West is just taking their ancestors' revenge

I will repeat Erdo's statements near the end of the first decade of the 2000s; "EU will never accept a MUSLIM country into its fold"

And I did state before that as long as Islam is a part of Turkey, it will always be hated. As long as that White Crescent is in the Turkish flag and remains an integral part of Turkish identity and history, Turks will always be hated

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,065
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
I dont think its the right time for an operation to begin with but attacking Ayn-al-Arab will get the biggest exposure internationally. I dont think thats going to fade well with how delicate things are right now with the economy.

I would favour more drone strikes for now.

Huelague

Experienced member
Reactions
4 3,850
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
We should set up a huge combined Turkish lobby in the US. Turkic countries+ our allies like Azerbaijan, Qatar, Pakistan+ African friends, and partners. We can have a sizeable diplomatic and political weight with this approach.
+American Muslim organisations.

Anastasius

Contributor
Azerbaijan Moderator
Reactions
3 2,935
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Azerbaijan
The Azerbaijani community is getting more involved now, thank goodness. It started with the Karabakh war last year, when Armenians flooded the net crying about being persecuted and that the West should defend them as the "first Christian nation" (Ethiopia says hello), our diaspora seemed to have gotten a fire lit under their asses and finally hit back. Was kind of funny actually, Armenians clearly weren't expecting it because we've been so passive before.

Maybe Turkish diaspora needs a similar "moment of reckoning" to really unify everyone.

Huelague

Experienced member
Reactions
4 3,850
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
The Azerbaijani community is getting more involved now, thank goodness. It started with the Karabakh war last year, when Armenians flooded the net crying about being persecuted and that the West should defend them as the "first Christian nation" (Ethiopia says hello), our diaspora seemed to have gotten a fire lit under their asses and finally hit back. Was kind of funny actually, Armenians clearly weren't expecting it because we've been so passive before.

Maybe Turkish diaspora needs a similar "moment of reckoning" to really unify everyone.
We have a strong diaspora in EU which our lazy, incompetent and anxious people don’t want to use.

Top Bottom