Experienced member
Lead Moderator
Reactions
85 17,654
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey
Guys, as most of you probably know I am closely observing the military operations of TSK in Iraq. Basically there is a very special situation there which is preventing our rapid advance and costs us lives and time. The special situation we are in is caused by the kilometers long, reinforced, specially built, technologically advanced tunnel networks. With the depth in which we are operating on Iraqi territory the tunnels become more and more advanced. Currently we are busy with some of these tunnels, tried countless solutions including airstrikes, large amounts of explosives detonated at the entry points, drilling trough the rocks so we can place explosives in vulnerable locations inside the tunnels, UGVs, whatever may come to your mind. The problem is that inside these tunnels there are probably enough supplies for the terrorists so they can last for years. For example are waiting for terrorists to come out of the Sida tunnel network for 1.5 years while they are fully encircled. The tunnels are also built in such a way that there are specially designed pressure rooms and ventilation holes that helps with the pressure that is caused by these explosions and our efforts are not effective so far.

The worst thing is that after we are done with the current place of our operations there is a terrorist camp called Gara which will have to be cleaned too and the situation there is even worst. This is the current center of PKK's operations from almost every point. Gara is a fortress!

Due to these challenges I've come to the conclusion that our defence industry should develop a modern, smart munition with similar or comparable performance to the notorious MOAB bomb. We are busy with a couple of tunnels for some years now and couldn't find a solution while this is only the trailer of what Gara may look like. I think a MOAB equivalent will come extremely handy in our fight against terrorism abroad. With the help of it we may have the chance to obliterate the PKK's infrastructure and fighting force not only in Zap, Metina and Hakurk where we are currently conducting combat operations, but also in Gara, Sinjar and Qandil.

We saw the performance MOAB showed against IS tunnel networks in Afghanistan. I think it was a good example of the potential this munition carries.

What do you guys think about this? What do you think are the challenges in front of us for developing a munition with a similar power? Is there a munition with comparable devastating effects in our inventory which we can guide precisely enough so it can strike a tunnel entry point and cause the tunnel to collapse?

*We've tried with every munition that can be dropped by an F-16 and is in our inventory.

Aqerdf

Reactions
5 256
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Yep.

We have A400s, FOAB would be safer approach.

If we talking about deep big and secure mountain networks we also need it's penetrator brother too.

But in theory for encircled tunnels, nothing stops us from stockpiling tens of ton of ammonium nitrate with TNT on those entrances. It would be same thing with air-dropped MOAB/FOAB.

*If the area is cleaned, and together with air-bombs this also should be tried maybe.

Iskander

Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
9 1,050
Nation of residence
Azerbaijan
Nation of origin
Azerbaijan
U cant export 300+ km missiles because Turkiye is part of (MTCR) regime
It’s probably time to ignore all these restrictions invented by “the best part of the world community” in connection with the outbreak of war.
It is probably time to ignore all restrictions prohibiting the creation of nuclear weapons. For the same reason.
War!
Ankara has announced its desire to join the SCO.
If this is a serious intention, then it's probably time to take action.

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
63 7,991
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
The MTCR is not a treaty and does not impose any legally binding obligations on Partners (members). Rather, it is an informal political understanding among states that seek to limit the proliferation of missiles and missile technology.

While MTCR is indeed nonbinding, it also serves as a sieve to filter out countries. An MTCR compliant country will have easier access to COTS components from other MTCR signatory nations. And breaking the signed and supported MTCR procedures would hurt TR interests as usual. We’d have harder time receiving dual use COTS components for our missiles from NATO countries, and even for aircraft projects like Hürjet. Selling MRBMs is good and all, but I’d want faster and cleaner deliveries on our own systems first.

Maybe showing off Tayfun is just a show, maybe they have something else in mind. Roketsan and Indonesia have pretty good relations at the moment. Maybe Indonesia will have their new unnamed MRBMs out of nowhere 10 years later.

Quasar

Contributor
The Post Deleter
Reactions
34 2,659
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Guys, as most of you probably know I am closely observing the military operations of TSK in Iraq. Basically there is a very special situation there which is preventing our rapid advance and costs us lives and time. The special situation we are in is caused by the kilometers long, reinforced, specially built, technologically advanced tunnel networks. With the depth in which we are operating on Iraqi territory the tunnels become more and more advanced. Currently we are busy with some of these tunnels, tried countless solutions including airstrikes, large amounts of explosives detonated at the entry points, drilling trough the rocks so we can place explosives in vulnerable locations inside the tunnels, UGVs, whatever may come to your mind. The problem is that inside these tunnels there are probably enough supplies for the terrorists so they can last for years. For example are waiting for terrorists to come out of the Sida tunnel network for 1.5 years while they are fully encircled. The tunnels are also built in such a way that there are specially designed pressure rooms and ventilation holes that helps with the pressure that is caused by these explosions and our efforts are not effective so far.

The worst thing is that after we are done with the current place of our operations there is a terrorist camp called Gara which will have to be cleaned too and the situation there is even worst. This is the current center of PKK's operations from almost every point. Gara is a fortress!

Due to these challenges I've come to the conclusion that our defence industry should develop a modern, smart munition with similar or comparable performance to the notorious MOAB bomb. We are busy with a couple of tunnels for some years now and couldn't find a solution while this is only the trailer of what Gara may look like. I think a MOAB equivalent will come extremely handy in our fight against terrorism abroad. With the help of it we may have the chance to obliterate the PKK's infrastructure and fighting force not only in Zap, Metina and Hakurk where we are currently conducting combat operations, but also in Gara, Sinjar and Qandil.

We saw the performance MOAB showed against IS tunnel networks in Afghanistan. I think it was a good example of the potential this munition carries.

What do you guys think about this? What do you think are the challenges in front of us for developing a munition with a similar power? Is there a munition with comparable devastating effects in our inventory which we can guide precisely enough so it can strike a tunnel entry point and cause the tunnel to collapse?

*We've tried with every munition that can be dropped by an F-16 and is in our inventory.
MOAB type weapons can be an efective tool against cave and tunel networks which are the primary defences of PKK against us. So developing such a weapon makes sense or at least may be it is worth experimenting with the concept but a bit far from being economical
Last year in June there were some news about MOAB type weapon gues it was TÜBİTAK will try to find it...

ok it seems it was a screen shoot from Roketsan video page 271 may be just our misinterpretation
1720691348877.png

Last edited:

Quasar

Contributor
The Post Deleter
Reactions
34 2,659
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Yes ı remember this as well… hope for the best and lets say the statues of the project is unclear or statues hope it exists :devilish:

Last edited:

Heartbang

Experienced member
Reactions
8 3,822
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

Too much work. Just gas'em.

They aint no state, they are no soldiers. Geneva conventions doesn't apply to them.

BaburKhan

Reactions
5 882
Website
strategicreviewturkey.blogspot.com
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Germany
It is not given that Hypersonic weapons can evade current air and missile defenses. Also, the question about kill chain against CBG still persist.
They are faster, this mean less reaction Time. They can be defeated, they working on defence against hypersonic Weapons. If Turkey have this kind of Weapons, this would strengthen the Detterence Capabillity.

Baryshx

Contributor
Reactions
8 2,056
Website
www.twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
It’s probably time to ignore all these restrictions invented by “the best part of the world community” in connection with the outbreak of war.
It is probably time to ignore all restrictions prohibiting the creation of nuclear weapons. For the same reason.
War!
Ankara has announced its desire to join the SCO.
If this is a serious intention, then it's probably time to take action.
Wanting to become a member of Sco when we are a member of Nato? Our government is talking nonsense as usual.

Btw, I would say yes to leaving NATO.

Quasar

Contributor
The Post Deleter
Reactions
34 2,659
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
unless Agean, Cyprus and East M. sea issues are solved leaving NATO is not a bright idea... if we are working on Hypersonic weapons its cool but dont think they are our priority non of our nearby rivals have ''really impressive'' ABM capability anyway.... hope nobody says but but Greeks have patriot missile defense system :devilish:

BaburKhan

Reactions
5 882
Website
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Germany
unless Agean, Cyprus and East M. sea issues are solved leaving NATO is not a bright idea... if we are working on Hypersonic weapons its cool but dont thing they are our priority non of our nearby rivals have ''really impressive'' ABM capability.... hope nobody says but but Greeks have patriot missile defense system :devilish:
What is with Israel ? They have Plans of a greater Israel which include Parts of Turkey. Do not forget Greece and France signed a mutual Defence Agreement in 2021, Hypersonic Weapons will be usefull if France will send it's Carrier CDG in the eastern Mediterran.

We also not know in which Direction goes the so called independent Defence Policy of EU, here Hypersonic Weapons will pose a serious Threat to their Assests !

Quasar

Contributor
The Post Deleter
Reactions
34 2,659
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
What is with Israel ? They have Plans of a greater Israel which include Parts of Turkey. Do not forget Greece and France signed a mutual Defence Agreement in 2021, Hypersonic Weapons will be usefull if France will send it's Carrier CDG in the eastern Mediterran.

We also not know in which Direction goes the so called independent Defence Policy of EU, here Hypersonic Weapons will pose a serious Threat to their Assests !
Bro Israel has nukes, greater Israel including parts of Turkey ? they are a tiny country with tiny population .... I shoıld belive France will go to war with Turkey for Greece?

Baryshx

Contributor
Reactions
8 2,056
Website
www.twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
With hypersonic missiles, nuclear missiles, Kaan, High Altitude missiles, etc., Türkiye will no longer need NATO. Of course, I assume that we are working on these and we have them.

Otherwise, Türkiye is a country in danger in terms of security. Does a country that opens its borders to the whole world and removes its mines think about its security? This is also a question mark...it serves to facilitate the work of other countries for occupation.

Quasar

Contributor
The Post Deleter
Reactions
34 2,659
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
for last 80 years there have been two countries who has been willing and capable of occupation of another country.... USSR/RUSSIA and USA

Tonyukuk

Reactions
2 1,034
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Kazakhstan
With hypersonic missiles, nuclear missiles, Kaan, High Altitude missiles, etc., Türkiye will no longer need NATO. Of course, I assume that we are working on these and we have them.

Otherwise, Türkiye is a country in danger in terms of security. Does a country that opens its borders to the whole world and removes its mines think about its security? This is also a question mark...it serves to facilitate the work of other countries for occupation.

Even if Turkey becomes a top 3 superpower and a joint Turkic military is established, I still don't think Turkey would leave NATO.

The US is nervous about rising Turkish military power, but at the same time it needs Turkey in the alliance. The truth is that the longer Turkey is in NATO the more important and powerful it becomes in the alliance. Eventually it will play a leading role if it plays its cards right. That means Turkey will have a lot of leverage in Europe.

Back to the topic of missiles, I think Turkey isn't far from making ICBMs. Not that it matters too much, they're just for mutually assured destruction... I'm more interested on the shorter range solutions which can be used in realistic scenarios.

Gezgin in particular is one I'm excited for. I'm also wondering if Cenk/Tayfun or their derivatives will be capable of striking ships? Assuming that they could, the damage from one of these strikes would render an aircraft carrier useless. Saturating the air defences would be the hard part.

BaburKhan

Reactions
5 882
Website
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Germany
Bro Israel has nukes, greater Israel including parts of Turkey ? they are a tiny country with tiny population .... I shoıld belive France will go to war with Turkey for Greece?
The far Right, who is in Power now have this Agenda. It's an Agenda, this mean it can take 50 Years to archieve this Goal of an greater Israel, not from Today till Tomorrow.

It is not for sure that France will go to War with Turkey for Greece, but it's possible do to the mutual Defence Agreement from 2021. Even EU could go to War with Turkey from the theoretic Point of View, there is the mutual Defence Clause Article 42.7. This is less realistic than France enter the War on greek Side. In this Connection Strategic Weapons like ASBM, Ramjet powered AShM, HGV are interesting.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom