TR Missile & Smart Munition Programs

chngr

Reactions
1 141
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Before you write such definitive statements, you should investigate and support your claim with valid sources.

The Tomahawk is a long-range, unmanned weapon with an accuracy of about 5 metres (16 feet). The 5.6-metre- (18.4-foot-) long missile has a range of up to approximately 2,400 km (about 1,500 miles) and can travel as fast as 885 km (550 miles) per hour.

Unquote.

Other sources that give this range are:

Yes there are various versions of it:

Operational
range
Block II TLAM-N – 1,350 nmi (1,550 mi; 2,500 km)
Block III TLAM-C, Block IV TLAM-E – 900 nmi (1,000 mi; 1,700 km)
Block III TLAM-D – 700 nmi (810 mi; 1,300 km)[8]
Block IV - 864nmi, 1000+ miles, 1600+ km
Block Vb - 900+nmi, 1035+ miles, 1666+ km (exact range is classified)[9]
RGM/UGM-109B TASM - 250 miles, 460 km[10]

But in essence it is a 2400 or 2500 km range cruise missile as far as its max range goes. It‘s length varies from 5.56 to 6.25 metres. That means the amount of ammo and fuel it carries will vary and in turn it’s range will be affected. Moreover, US and its other users UK and Australia, will not want real figures to be open to public and to their potential adversaries. And as part of public we have to take the given maximum range as a valid effective range.
Also, since we are discussing the reason of using a turbofan here, it is irrelevant if the range is 1600 or 2400 km. There are versions of it with turbojets and even a ramjet 3mach speed version is being worked on. Some versions have no more than 460km range.

You just not read what your wrote

Block II TLAM-N....Means nuclear warhead version and those retired 10 years ago

5.56 length of missile...and 6.25 with booster

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
129 15,521
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
You just not read what your wrote

Block II TLAM-N....Means nuclear warhead version and those retired 10 years ago

5.56 length of missile...and 6.25 with booster
Oh! I have definitely read what I wrote.
But you haven’t read what I have written.
It just means that, with the right length and fuel, it has a potential of 2500km range. That is why a turbofan is a necessity.
just because, due to the limitation of nuclear cruise missiles agreement, the higher range is put on the back burner and stopped being used, doesn’t mean that the missile can’t reach that range. It was built to be a 2500km range missile.
You don’t need to be that contentious.

F16 has a ferry range of 4200+ km with drop tanks.
It has 7000lb internal fuel 5000lb external fuel.
Take out the drop tanks its ferry range will be greatly diminished.
If F16 should use afterburners, then all the range calculations are thrown out of perspective as it can finish its internal tank within 6 minutes at sea level afterburner. (64000lb per hour consumption)
So range figures are arbitrary. But they decide what the air platform’s potentials are.

chngr

Reactions
1 141
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Oh! I have definitely read what I wrote.
But you haven’t read what I have written.
It just means that, with the right length and fuel, it has a potential of 2500km range. That is why a turbofan is a necessity.
just because, due to the limitation of nuclear cruise missiles agreement, the higher range is put on the back burner and stopped being used, doesn’t mean that the missile can’t reach that range. It was built to be a 2500km range missile.
You don’t need to be that contentious.

F16 has a ferry range of 4200+ km with drop tanks.
It has 7000lb internal fuel 5000lb external fuel.
Take out the drop tanks its ferry range will be greatly diminished.
If F16 should use afterburners, then all the range calculations are thrown out of perspective as it can finish its internal tank within 6 minutes at sea level afterburner. (64000lb per hour consumption)
So range figures are arbitrary. But they decide what the air platform’s potentials are.
Missile lengths same that just with or without booster length

Only retired Block II TLAM-N version have 2400km range because its have small nuclear warhead..There is more space for fuel

All of the others 450kg conventional warhead versions's range 1600km or less

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom