Political coup or constitutional right? What's going on in Tunisia?

Fachfouch

Contributor
Reactions
3 2,060
Nation of residence
Tunisia
Nation of origin
Tunisia
And now you will be under a dictatorship which will never, ever abuse its power.

But this time you won't be able to vote it out during the next election, but be doomed to live under it forever.

And you won't be able to exercise your much-vaunted "freedom of speech" against it. The moment you do you will be arrested.

But whatever, continue to celebrate your new overlords.
how are you assuming this ? did you see into the future do you even know anything about the political situation in Tunisia ?

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,639
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
The problem with politics in muslim countries are usually that religion is dragged into politics. I think it would be very beneficial to have death sentence to parliamentarians in the constitution. If you have independent judiciary with death looming over their heads I bet you that most scum will back off. At least that's my conviction.

Either that or those serving should not be allowed to have family, a bit like Ecevit and Demirel in Turkey. They didn't have children, so they served their country with everything they had. (Though Demirel had a brother or something, but I don't recall any corruption cases). Ataturk didn't have children either, except those he adopted.

Anyway it sounds very much like something fishy was going on since an autocrat swapped his people out with opposition. Blackmail comes to mind.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,639
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey

This is AKP political stance.

@Fachfouch do you think AKP got it wrong, or are they jumping the gun that as they say "The Tunisian people will protect their constitutional system and law."

Would an impromptu election be beneficial ?

mulj

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
rip democracy in tunisia, bad event for Turkey interests. i suppose people in general not rational after all. arabs just love dictatorships.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 17,823
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
rip democracy in tunisia, bad event for Turkey interests. i suppose people in general not rational after all. arabs just love dictatorships.

Turkey is too passive towards the UAE. That is pissing me off.

mulj

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Turkey is too passive towards the UAE. That is pissing me off.
not that you have to much space, they have dense clout from bigger powers, not easy to confront them directly and you have disadvantage from start when you rival them in arab world. Turkey is now dangerously exposed in Lybia and should be really on alert after this Tunisia festival of democracy.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 17,823
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
not that you have to much space, they have dense clout from bigger powers, not easy to confront them directly and you have disadvantage from start when you rival them in arab world. Turkey is now dangerously exposed in Lybia and should be really on alert after this Tunisia festival of democracy.

If UAE touches Algeria our influence for sure is in danger of disappearing.

Ridiculous how money can change anything.

mulj

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
If UAE touches Algeria our influence for sure is in danger of disappearing.

Ridiculous how money can change anything.
Luckily, Algeria is for now safe due Morroco booting with uae and israel and they are by default most resiliant and indenpendant state in north africa.
But you are right UAE is toxic for arab world with their money bribery influence for various sickos.

Last edited:

rainmaker

Reactions
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
The problem with politics in muslim countries are usually that religion is dragged into politics. I think it would be very beneficial to have death sentence to parliamentarians in the constitution. If you have independent judiciary with death looming over their heads I bet you that most scum will back off. At least that's my conviction.

1. Tunisia is one of the most secular Arab countries.
2. Arabs for some reason seem to really like have a dictator's boot over their necks all the time, and when the boot is withdrawn they will riot and cause trouble until the boot is re-applied.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 17,823
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
1. Tunisia is one of the most secular Arab countries.
2. Arabs for some reason seem to really like have a dictator's boot over their necks all the time, and when the boot is withdrawn they will riot and cause trouble until the boot is re-applied.

Honestly they always end up with a Secular dictatorship or an Islamist dictatorship.

Every damn time. Definition of insanity.

Rumours of France and the Uae being behind it.

mulj

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Honestly they always end up with a Secular dictatorship or an Islamist dictatorship.

Every damn time.
altough you can not blame them to much, simply they did not have historical opportunitiy to make smooth transition into todays times under their own terms, turkey is blessed with multicentury statehood, this postocollonial arab states are like logs in water, no direction, no middle path and mostly enslaved mentally by west.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 17,823
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
altough you can not blame them to much, simply they did not have historical opportunitiy to make smooth transition into todays times under their own terms, turkey is blessed with multicentury statehood, this postocollonial arab states are like logs in water, no direction, no middle path and mostly enslaved mentally by west.

Tunisia has been spared the worst of the Arab spring.

Honestly external powers that are meddling in the place. I place the blame on France and the UAE its obvious.

mulj

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
is there any reactions from countires who claims that they are champions of democracy, like france for example :)

Fachfouch

Contributor
Reactions
3 2,060
Nation of residence
Tunisia
Nation of origin
Tunisia
And now you will be under a dictatorship which will never, ever abuse its power.

But this time you won't be able to vote it out during the next election, but be doomed to live under it forever.

And you won't be able to exercise your much-vaunted "freedom of speech" against it. The moment you do you will be arrested.

But whatever, continue to celebrate your new overlords.
if democracy includes 18 000 dead then damn this democracy... you're being very pessimistic assuming a dictatorship established, you should know that the parliament have 67 wanted deputy to the authority waaaay before this, many of them from el Nahdha and its allies but they refused to remove immunity...

Last edited:

mulj

Experienced member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
yep it shows value position like litmus paper.

Fachfouch

Contributor
Reactions
3 2,060
Nation of residence
Tunisia
Nation of origin
Tunisia

This is AKP political stance.

@Fachfouch do you think AKP got it wrong, or are they jumping the gun that as they say "The Tunisian people will protect their constitutional system and law."

Would an impromptu election be beneficial ?
what is a fact that the parliament have virtually no support from the people... for now the election will no be held until the crisis pass and we will know more after the government will be appointed. but most likely a promotive election will be held sooner or later

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,639
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
what is a fact that the parliament have virtually no support from the people... for now the election will no be held until the crisis pass and we will know more after the government will be appointed. but most likely a promotive election will be held sooner or later
Thank you. I think it's quite important to let people know that unless you hold elections, swapping governments, staff and whatever doesn't necessarily mean the government /ministers in question are elected by the people.

This is only true for the parties involved right after the election. As we can see in some countries ministers, and people in different positions are being swapped out like used cloth.

Which is why I would think holding an election when a government falls is a must. better to hold 100 elections than fail to hold one and pave way for authoritarian/dictatorship.

If the politicians in question truly wants to serve the country they'll make coalition and make it work, in worst case nothing will be done, and hopefully the country will have well established checks and balances in places along with democratic institutions to keep the country going and the people living. (IMO politicians actively involving themselves in the management of the country is actually detrimental for a country's growth. This due to nepotism etc. etc.).

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom