Foulgrim

Greece Moderator
Reactions
1 629
Nation of residence
Greece
Nation of origin
Greece
Greece and Israel have decided to work closely on defense with Jerusalem having decided to release weapons that provide a quality advantage. In recent days, Greek officials have been informed about a number of programs. The focus is on drone and UAV control systems using advanced technology. In addition to these countermeasures on the table there is also the C-Dome which is the naval version of the anti-aircraft Iron Dome and the well-known anti-aircraft-anti-ballistic system David's Sling. At the same time, the two sides are working to find a possible common ground on the issue of the national rifle. At the same time, in April, the first UAV HERONs in Greece are expected, while the procurement of systems such as SPIKE / NLOS, Rampage and SPICE will probably proceed.
David's Sling
David-Sling-0001.jpg

Last edited:

Cabatli_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
80 45,485
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I don't suppose Greece will purchase a new long range surface to air missile besides S300 and Pac-2/3 systems. If Greek side is negotiating for a defensive system, I think IronDome will be likely solution.

In addition, Spike NLOS can be purchased.

Foulgrim

Greece Moderator
Reactions
1 629
Nation of residence
Greece
Nation of origin
Greece
I don't suppose Greece will purchase a new long range surface to air missile besides S300 and Pac-2/3 systems. If Greek side is negotiating for a defensive system, I think IronDome will be likely solution.

In addition, Spike NLOS can be purchased.
The bad thing is that there is this classic mentality to open many different proposals and end up not in a real market but in a gossip that does not lead anywhere.
If Greece really got 50% of what it says it will buy, its deterrent power would be fine.

Cabatli_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
80 45,485
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
In fact, Greece will purchase a new long range surface to air missiles not for land but for Naval forces. Your new frigates will need this kind of missiles and so origin of frigates will determine the origin of the missiles to be procured. C-Dome/Iron-Dome have a better chance for point defence. If you purchase a French ship, They will come to you with Aster30 missiles. If your new ships are made by US, Sm2+ESSM will be a prohibition.

Foulgrim

Greece Moderator
Reactions
1 629
Nation of residence
Greece
Nation of origin
Greece
In fact, Greece will purchase a new long range surface to air missiles not for land but for Naval forces. Your new frigates will need this kind of missiles and so origin of frigates will determine the origin of the missiles to be procured. C-Dome/Iron-Dome have a better chance for point defence. If you purchase a French ship, They will come to you with Aster30 missiles. If your new ships are made by US, Sm2+ESSM will be a prohibition.
You are right as the frigate will determine the anti-aircraft system that will be placed on it. I wrote about the C-Dome system as it was the naval version of the Iron Dome. The issue is how the whole process will move because a lot is said but little is done. Personally, I believe that due to geopolitical pressures we will choose frigates of American origin with COMBATSS-21 air defense system and SM-2 Block IIIC (2022) or SM-2 Block IVA missiles. I do not see the French proposal for FREMM with air defense system (Herakles radar) and Aster 30 missiles being implemented. The French FREMM frigates with MBDA subsystems are a much better and cheaper proposal while they were ships that will be relatively faster in service in the Greek Navy than American ships. Also the FREMM will have 40 cells for missiles while the MMSC will have 24 cells if I am not mistaken.

Last edited:

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom