Isa Khan

Experienced member
Reactions
22 9,818
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
This is certainly not what I expected though tbh. Not even a modernized PT-6. 😩 Feels like this is only an election stunt and BAF didn't get enough funding for a genuine design.

Wonderful news but

KEEP EXPECTATIONS LOW!

KEEP EXPECTATIONS LOW!

KEEP EXPECTATIONS LOW!

Still managed to disappoint me. 😐

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,378
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Hehe, my expectations wasn't that high. I am not disappointed a bit.
Good thing is, we have succesfully designed and developed something that is actually flying.

I was expecting something similar to MFI-17 Mushshak.

1697906216183.png

I think we should keep an eye on the UAV project that has been going on for a long time, unlike BBT-1.
If they can deliver something like lenardo's Falco, then I would be more than happy.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,378
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Bangladesh Air Force's first indigenous basic trainer BBT-1 successfully made its maiden flight.

BBT-1 (Bangadandhu Basic Trainer-1) is indigenously designed developed and manufactured by Bangladesh Biman Bahini (Bangladesh Air Force)

View attachment 62073
View attachment 62075
View attachment 62076
View attachment 62077
View attachment 62078

While obviously in its physical form this is not something super-duper, in fact as the name implies, this is a very basic trainer, however, I like to emphasise on its symbolic significance for BD's aerospace journey.

Hopefully, God willing, this small step today will take us beyond the limits of 'conventional wisdom' tomorrow.

Note- I apologise for the image quality, but unfortunately this is the best I can get. We have to wait until the official photos and video comes out.

@Isa Khan @F-6 enthusiast @yf120 @Micheal Corleone @PutinBro @TR_123456 @what @Test7 @Yasar @Mis_TR_Like @Cabatli_TR @Gary @Kartal1 @Combat-Master @Knowledgeseeker @Philip the Arab @Agha Sher @Sanchez @Merzifonlu @dBSPL @Bürküt @Bogeyman @Zafer @Ryder @Nilgiri @Anmdt et al.

@Ripley forgot to tag you. Check it out.

Ripley

Contributor
USA Correspondent
Reactions
12 1,512
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
This is certainly not what I expected though tbh. Not even a modernized PT-6. 😩 Feels like this is only an election stunt and BAF didn't get enough funding for a genuine design.

Still managed to disappoint me. 😐

@Ripley forgot to tag you. Check it out.
Any start is a good start, no matter how ”insignificant “ it may look. Gotta start somewhere, right?

Tru story. I remember seeing the first so called indigenous Turkish plane, probably 40-45 years ago, named “Mavi Işık” (Blue Light). It was nothing but a generic, good old fashion crop duster 😉 but it made me feel ecstatic and hopeful.
Congratulations guys and good luck🤞

edit:
Some news piece about the plane
👇🏼

Last edited:

yf120

Reactions
1 61
Nation of residence
St V'nt & the Gr'dines
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Feels like this is only an election stunt and BAF didn't get enough funding for a genuine design.
Absofreakinglutely.

I think we should keep an eye on the UAV project that has been going on for a long time, unlike BBT-1.
If they can deliver something like lenardo's Falco, then I would be more than happy.

thanks for the heads up!

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,378
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
1700900198421.png

It looks like it is written BBT-2 just behind the engine. So, it is probably genuine. Substantial improvement on the First prototype. In fact it is a new design altogether. (Retractable Landing gears?) Definitely has a German vibe @Bluetooth

@Isa Khan You were too pessimistic. Cheer up now!

@Sanchez I supposed this can be a genuine basic trainer.

@F-6 enthusiast @Kartal1 @Gary @Yasar @dBSPL @Bürküt @Knowledgeseeker @Ripley @TR_123456 @Bogeyman @Nilgiri @Saithan et al.

Edit- We can see the founding father's portrait behind 'BBT-2' I think.

Last edited:

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,372
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
View attachment 63242

It looks like it is written BBT-2 just behind the engine. So, it is probbaly genuine. Substantial improvement on the First prototype. In fact it is a new design although together. (Retractable Landing gears?) Definitely has a German vibe @Bluetooth

@F-6 enthusiast @Kartal1 @Gary @Yasar @dBSPL @Bürküt @Knowledgeseeker @Ripley @TR_123456 @Bogeyman @Nilgiri et al.

Congratulations 🎉🎉🎉

Kartal1

Experienced member
Lead Moderator
Reactions
81 16,482
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey
View attachment 63242

It looks like it is written BBT-2 just behind the engine. So, it is probbaly genuine. Substantial improvement on the First prototype. In fact it is a new design although together. (Retractable Landing gears?) Definitely has a German vibe @Bluetooth

@F-6 enthusiast @Kartal1 @Gary @Yasar @dBSPL @Bürküt @Knowledgeseeker @Ripley @TR_123456 @Bogeyman @Nilgiri et al.
It looks waay more refined. Good progress. Waiting to see further footage. Bangladesh must be proud with the engineers behind this project.

PutinBro

Committed member
Reactions
4 233
Nation of residence
China
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Wonderful news but

KEEP EXPECTATIONS LOW!

KEEP EXPECTATIONS LOW!

KEEP EXPECTATIONS LOW!
I take back everything I said!

Can't wait to see the end results of our UAV program.Looking at how good this turned out, it won't be surprising if we get a Bangladeshi TB-2😃

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,378
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
I take back everything I said!

Can't wait to see the end results of our UAV program.Looking at how good this turned out, it won't be surprising if we get a Bangladeshi TB-2😃

This time I advise you to keep your expectations low.
I think our UAV would be similar in class to Falco. Which is good enough for me.

Last edited:

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,378
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
View attachment 63242

It looks like it is written BBT-2 just behind the engine. So, it is probably genuine. Substantial improvement on the First prototype. In fact it is a new design altogether. (Retractable Landing gears?) Definitely has a German vibe @Bluetooth

Edit- We can see the founding father's portrait behind 'BBT-2' I think.

@Rooxbar

Rooxbar

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
41 1,487
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
Something being an election stunt doesn't categorically make it bad. Important thing is, is it being done? is it being funded? are they employing engineers for the job? are they trying to fill in the gaps in experience by cooperating with foreign firms? If an admin sees enthusiasm for a semi-serious election stunt, that can be the impetus to turn it into a serious thing. This second prototype definitely shows there's some will. Hopefully they continue on this path, with more funding, more employment and more cooperations.

Bluetooth

Reactions
4 72
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Something being an election stunt doesn't categorically make it bad. Important thing is, is it being done? is it being funded? are they employing engineers for the job? are they trying to fill in the gaps in experience by cooperating with foreign firms? If an admin sees enthusiasm for a semi-serious election stunt, that can be the impetus to turn it into a serious thing. This second prototype definitely shows there's some will. Hopefully they continue on this path, with more funding, more employment and more cooperations.
This is definitely not an election stunt.

Bluetooth

Reactions
4 72
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
BDMilitary/BDOSINT Exclusive: 🇧🇩 🇮🇹 The BBT-2 is a turboprop-powered military basic trainer and light attack aircraft developed by the Bangabandhu Aeronautical Centre (BAC). The modern light aircraft was developed with the cooperation of Aermacchi, a subsidiary of Leonardo.

The Bangla-Italian collaboration trainer features a retractable tricycle landing gear with low wing arrangement. It is powered by a Rolls-Royce M250 340 kW turboprop engine that gives the BBT-2 a maximum speed of 354 km/h. The maximum range of the BBT-2 is 1,000 km and service ceiling is around 6,500 m.

The BBT-2 is manned by a crew of two personnel, however it has the capacity to bear two additional passengers or a stretcher with a patient during emergencies.

The side by side seat military trainer is equipped with modern avionics and safety equipment supplied by US and European countries including components from Honeywell, Garmin and Martin-Baker.

The BBT-2 is equipped with six hardpoints with a maximum load of 800 kg of weapons. A variety of laser guided rockets, machine gun pods and gravity bombs can be carried aboard the light aircraft allowing for use in a close air support role. The Bangladesh Air Force will opt for Turkish-made aerial munitions and targeting solutions.

Currently the aircraft is undergoing test flights. If all goes to plan the Bangladesh Air Force may accept it and order for serial production of the aircraft in Bangladesh at BACs premises.

This is a momentous era in the development of Bangladesh's aerospace industry.

@Afif I wonder how it compares to hurkus or super mushak ? (My knowledge of aviation is limited)

Last edited:

Gary

Experienced member
Reactions
21 12,372
Nation of residence
Indonesia
Nation of origin
Indonesia
Now that we know this is built in coop with Aermacchi, I could say with 90% certainty that this is derived or significantly influenced by the Aermacchi SF-260. It looks very VERY similar. It has:

• side-by-side tandem seat ✅
  • similar tail configuration ✅
  • same power level rating, although the BBT-2 seems to have a more powerful engine ( 1 × Textron Lycoming O-540-E4A5 / Textron Lycoming AEIO-540-D4A5 6-cylinder air-cooled horizontally-opposed piston engine, 190 kW (260 hp) for the SF 260 || 1 x Rolls-Royce M250 340 kW (455hp) turboprop for BBT-2.
  • BBT-2 seems to have the more modern turboprop, while the SF-260 still uses piston.
  • Note that BBT-2 has no wing fuel tank

SF260_Libya_%28cropped%29.jpg

1700900198421-png.63242

Which means that the BBT-2 could be modified for COIN role

1003679.jpg

Ripley

Contributor
USA Correspondent
Reactions
12 1,512
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
Very well put!
Political stunts will happen as long as there is a national achievement. Such PR tricks don’t bother me much.

As I’ve said earlier, you gotta start somewhere. The main thing to is not to loose will of keeping on. When such a venture is realized you don’t only gain technological know how but also develop your industrial structure and organizational skills from top to bottom to venture into next project.
Failures and mishaps will happen but you’ll always have your hard gained skills at hand.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom