Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
80 45,486
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
ASELSAN General Manager Haluk Görgün: (AESA radar)

There are 1,152 transmit-receive units inside our AESA radar.
Inside, there are core chips, circuits and amplifiers designed by us.
It is truly an engineering art.

You will make such a core chip that it will be 5x5mm in size and transfer information digitally at a speed of 500 GB per second.
This means processing 20 DVDs in 1 second.

Murad F16 AESA
  • 1152 TRM GaN module
  • 20W each modules with 30W(?)peak power (defenceturkey)
  • Liquid cooling
APG-83 (open source info)
  • 1020 TRM GaAs modules
  • 10W each modules with 10kW peak power
  • Liquid cooling
RBE2 AESA (open source info)
  • 830 TRM GaAs modules
  • 10W each modules with 8kW peak power
  • Liquid cooling

MeACuLpA

Reactions
1 20
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
ASELSAN General Manager Haluk Görgün: (AESA radar)

There are 1,152 transmit-receive units inside our AESA radar.
Inside, there are core chips, circuits and amplifiers designed by us.
It is truly an engineering art.

You will make such a core chip that it will be 5x5mm in size and transfer information digitally at a speed of 500 GB per second.
This means processing 20 DVDs in 1 second.

Numbers do NOT match. 1 single side DVD is 4.7GB, if he also says 20 DVD per second, then it should be less than 100 GB/s bandwith, not 500 GB/s. I assume he talks about aggregated bandwith. You can find 112 Gbps state of art off the shelf SERDES IP right now for the latest process node. That means this could be implemented with 8x5 = 40 SERDES links. But I highly doubt they use 112Gbps SERDES, most likely 56 or even less. If it is 56 Gbps SERDES links, then i would double the bus, which is 80 bit. So it is NOT out of reach but definitely not 500 GB/s

neosinan

Committed member
Reactions
7 981
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Numbers do NOT match. 1 single side DVD is 4.7GB, if he also says 20 DVD per second, then it should be less than 100 GB/s bandwith, not 500 GB/s. I assume he talks about aggregated bandwith. You can find 112 Gbps state of art off the shelf SERDES IP right now for the latest process node. That means this could be implemented with 8x5 = 40 SERDES links. But I highly doubt they use 112Gbps SERDES, most likely 56 or even less. If it is 56 Gbps SERDES links, then i would double the bus, which is 80 bit. So it is NOT out of reach but definitely not 500 GB/s
I think he meant Blu Ray. Single layer blu ray is 25gb.

Radonsider

Contributor
Reactions
13 2,544
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Which makes sense I guess, not many know what CD/DVD/Blu-Ray is in Turkey, so saying DVD is better for general audience to understand

MeACuLpA

Reactions
1 20
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
that means you need to multiply it by 5, it is not very common to see 400 SERDES links in one chip. This is Nvidia/AMD/Intel class. There is something missing

MeACuLpA

Reactions
1 20
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
In a second thought, i dont think they designed those chips. Most likely they are using FPGAs from Xilinx with those high speed SERDESes. That makes sense now. Xilinx has Versal Premium FPGAs with 112 Gbps SERDESes based on this website:

Maybe he refers that they are using 'multiple' FPGA chips in the radar. Now that is different story

Radonsider

Contributor
Reactions
13 2,544
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
In a second thought, i dont think they designed those chips. Most likely they are using FPGAs from Xilinx with those high speed SERDESes. That makes sense now. Xilinx has Versal Premium FPGAs with 112 Gbps SERDESes based on this website:

Maybe he refers that they are using 'multiple' FPGA chips in the radar. Now that is different story
"İçinde bizim tasarladığımız core chip var, devreler, yükselteçler var." He states that it is their own design

E

Era_shield

Trust Turkiye to develop an advanced radar and the first thing we do with it is download movies.

MeACuLpA

Reactions
1 20
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
"İçinde bizim tasarladığımız core chip var, devreler, yükselteçler var." He states that it is their own design
@Radonsider
I am not saying it can't be done, what I am telling is what was described in the twitter has an NRE cost of hundreds of millions dollars and i am excluding manufacturing. At the end, not many will be produced. Again there are gaps in the story. I dont think it makes sense

Radonsider

Contributor
Reactions
13 2,544
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
@Radonsider
I am not saying it can't be done, what I am telling is what was described in the twitter has an NRE cost of hundreds of millions dollars and i am excluding manufacturing. At the end, not many will be produced. Again there are gaps in the story. I dont think it makes sense
I think they did design it themselves but get them to be produced in somewhere else

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,696
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Well, one thing is for sure we are talking about an insanely powerful AESA radar. Fitting all those T/R modules to the nose of an F-16 is not an easy task.

Bogeyman 

Experienced member
Professional
Reactions
60 29,433
Website
twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

FvRLTkUWcAAJxGO

KARAKURT Electro-Optical Sensor System; With its high resolution thermal camera, laser target designator and stabilized moving platform, it offers superior performance in surveillance and target marking over land vehicles.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,403
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
HD IR sensor products are popping out which is a good thing.
I have a question, do we have details about Altay's gunner's and commander's thermal sights?

Heartbang

Experienced member
Reactions
7 3,612
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

FvRLTkUWcAAJxGO

KARAKURT Electro-Optical Sensor System; With its high resolution thermal camera, laser target designator and stabilized moving platform, it offers superior performance in surveillance and target marking over land vehicles.
Slap one of these next to the SIPER's search or fire-control radar systems, and make them decoy-proof. Let the MALD's mald.

Enderun

Reactions
4 850
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Photodetector Project - UEKAE

Under the photodetector project, the production technologies for the photodetectors needed in our country are developed and manufactured with the facilities of TUBITAK BİLGEM.

The PIN photodetector production process developed was used to produce a sensor called DDA-1. The specially developed DDA-1 sensor consists of four identically manufactured PIN diodes on a silicon base. It has an active area diameter of more than 10 mm, low leakage current (<1nA/cm2) and higher pulsed reactivity (0.44A/W) than commercial detectors. The photodetector, made entirely from national resources, has lower parasitic capacitance, wider dynamic operating range, high switching voltage, high speed and higher accuracy than similar products on the international market.

Other applications of photodetectors that are widely used in civil and military applications are mentioned below;

- Pulsed and continuous laser sensors,
- Optical communications,
- Bar code readers,
- Optical remote control,
- Medical electronics applications,
- High-speed photometry

At BİLGEM, studies are being conducted to develop unique production processes for photodetectors for various application areas.
1683480275334.png
1683480285931.png

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom