Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
86 10,842
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Thanks to its low weight and silhouette, the Akdoğan missile will be able to be fired from a variety of aircraft in a traditionally unconventional, such as tactical UAVs. In today's combatant aviation, the diversity of elements is maximized and this requires reclassifying these threat groups.

Firing a high-cost air-to-air missile to a tactical UAV system is not cost-effective. On the other hand, the density of such UAVs in the airspace will increase much more in near future. TUBITAK has launched a project based on these new threat classifications at the right time, and I believe that the Turkish Armed Forces will procure them in very high quantities. It can be integrated into almost all UAV systems and can be an option not only for combat, but also as a training missile for manned aircrafts.

This is purely speculative, but I think another use could be as an anti-missile missile. SRAAM missile types are systems that can maneuver at very high G forces, and if you look at the mission design of missiles like IRIS-T for example, interception of opponents' missiles is one of the underlined capabilities. So I think it is possible that TUBITAK will work on a missile that focuses on missile interception and has a lower cost than its counterparts. In addition to electronic countermeasures, decoys, chaff, some kind of very short-range missile could be added to this measures set, against SAMs or radar guided missiles.

Last edited:

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
65 7,607
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Thanks to its low weight and silhouette, the Akdoğan missile will be able to be fired from a variety of aircraft in a traditionally unconventional, such as tactical UAVs. In today's combatant aviation, the diversity of elements is maximized and this requires reclassifying these threat groups.

Firing a high-cost air-to-air missile to a tactical UAV system is not cost-effective. On the other hand, the density of such UAVs in the airspace will increase much more in near future. TUBITAK has launched a project based on these new threat classifications at the right time, and I believe that the Turkish Armed Forces will procure them in very high quantities. It can be integrated into almost all UAV systems and can be an option not only for combat, but also as a training missile for manned aircrafts.

This is purely speculative, but I think another use could be as an anti-missile missile. SRAAM missile types are systems that can maneuver at very high G forces, and if you look at the mission design of missiles like IRIS-T for example, interception of opponents' missiles is one of the underlined capabilities. So I think it is possible that TUBITAK will work on a missile that focuses on missile interception and has a lower cost than its counterparts. In addition to electronic countermeasures, decoys, chaff, some kind of very short-range missile could be added to this measures set, against SAMs or radar guided missiles.
I was wondering if akdogan can be integrated with MRAP vehicles like 'sungur on vuran' to provide low cost medium range air defence solution to protect infantry and armor columns against drone and attack helicopter!

Heartbang

Experienced member
Reactions
7 3,684
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I was wondering if akdogan can be integrated with MRAP vehicles like 'sungur on vuran' to provide low cost medium range air defence solution to protect infantry and armor columns against drone and attack helicopter!
its possible, but it would be expensive as heck. we got Korkut and MKE's CIWS for that.

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
116 14,899
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
I think Akdogan is an AA missile.
Akdoğan is an air to air missile developed by Tubitak-Sage with their own resources that will be able to hit UAV’s and be launched from lighter platforms like UAVs and Hurjet. Due to it’s lighter weight it will be easier to be carried in multiple numbers by these platforms. Also being significantly cheaper it will be a more economical way to take out all sorts of UAVs. This will also turn our UAVs, in to helicopter and enemy UAV hunters.

MADDOG

Contributor
Türkiye Correspondent
Professional
Reactions
31 7,977
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Cyprus
THE TF-X IS ON THE FINAL ASSEMBLY LINE!
FiG0mXdWQAg2QCP.jpeg