Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
116 14,897
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Can TFX communicate with our submarines? (Dr. Eray Güclüer)
As you would know it is almost near impossible to communicate with submerged submarines. There are various methods to relay communication and small data packages in digital form by way of VLF and buoys placed in the seas etc.
But the MIT Media Lab has now come up with a novel idea to communicate with submarines even when they are submerged. How effective it will be in real life; Only time will tell.

Until this MIT Lab system becomes operational, it is very unlikely for any submarine to communicate properly with outside world when submerged. A sub needs to come up to snorkel depth to communicate with aerial assets. That in turn allows it to become visible to enemy platforms.

Huelague

Experienced member
Reactions
4 3,864
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
As you would know it is almost near impossible to communicate with submerged submarines. There are various methods to relay communication and small data packages in digital form by way of VLF and buoys placed in the seas etc.
But the MIT Media Lab has now come up with a novel idea to communicate with submarines even when they are submerged. How effective it will be in real life; Only time will tell.

Until this MIT Lab system becomes operational, it is very unlikely for any submarine to communicate properly with outside world when submerged. A sub needs to come up to snorkel depth to communicate with aerial assets. That in turn allows it to become visible to enemy platforms.

Have you seen the video with Eray Güclüer about TFX?

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
116 14,897
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Have you seen the video with Eray Güclüer about TFX?
I have watched some of it. That lady is so annoying. She doesn’t know how to let another person talk. I couldn’t bear it. There is some information that is a bit far fetched and hard to believe too.
I couldn’t catch the bit with sub communications. 49 minutes is too much with that lady there!

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
61 7,667
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
None of the countries you mentioned are even in the top 5 of Titanium production.

Good time to share the story of how CIA used shell companies and third countries to buy titanium ore from Soviets to build the SR-71.

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,099
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey

Huelague

Experienced member
Reactions
4 3,864
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey

Bürküt

Contributor
Defence News Editor
Reactions
61 2,180
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I have watched some of it. That lady is so annoying. She doesn’t know how to let another person talk. I couldn’t bear it. There is some information that is a bit far fetched and hard to believe too.
I couldn’t catch the bit with sub communications. 49 minutes is too much with that lady there!
What can we expect from Ahmet Hakan's sister-in-law anyway 😁.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
7 7,214
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
When there are governors who make a show of things that they haven't done, how would anyone deny a show of cutting edge technology that have been made perfectly. TFX deserves a brilliant show of roll out.

Sanders

Reactions
2 179
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I have seen some comments about Mr. Kotil's ''2028'' statements and I felt the need to explain some things about TF-X's engine development process.

Firstly, the engine to be developed will have nothing to do with the F110.
We are not trying to build a clone of F110.
Even if we try, from the design to the mass production process lasts at least 10 years. Spending 10 years and billions of dollars for 80s technology doesn't make sense at all while we have the capabilities to build indigenously with stealth characteristics.

Secondly, a couple of years ago (January 2020), the TRMotor company general manager had said that the engine of TF-X will be started up by 2026-2027.

Since that time, the shares of TRMotor passed to the TEI and they have been working together. (April 2022)

Also, the general manager of the TEI said that over 200 engineers have been working on TF-X engine though the engine development project hasn't been started officially. (March 2023)

So, there is nothing wrong or unrealistic with Mr. Kotil's statements.
He is talking about the engine's test, flight and certification processes which probably will last at least 4 years just like the TS1400. (that is why we want F110 engines for the first two squadrons TF-X)

Additionally, people must avoid comparing Turkey with Russia or China. It is not a valid comparison.

*Some important notes:
-Turkey has been using West-made technologies and platforms for decades.
-TEI has been producing high-tech engine parts for GE, Boeing, Airbus etc. for years.
-TEI has been servicing the engines of NATO aircrafts for 20 years. (also for some other countries)
-TEI has been producing the GE T700 engines locally for T70 helicopters and they can produce GE F110 engines too. Even producing an engine under license requires serious know-how.
-Some parts of the F135 engine would be produced by Kale company. Everything was ready.
-Kale has gained serious design and manufacturing capabilities for turbojet engines. KTJ engine family is serious proof of that.

See, there is a strict difference in that Turkey has direct access to high-tech and know-how as we are not isolated from Western technologies like Russia or China. We have design, manufacturing and test capabilities.

We have seen different kinds of aerial engines like PD-170, TS-1400, KTJ-1750/KTJ-3200/KTJ-3700, TF-6000/TF-10000 and those are just beginning.

Last edited:

MADDOG

Contributor
Türkiye Correspondent
Professional
Reactions
31 7,977
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Cyprus
These two are gonna kill each other some day...

I think y'all know who I'm referring to.

Screen Shot 2023-04-18 at 21.59.20.png

Huelague

Experienced member
Reactions
4 3,864
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Temil Kotil and Ismail Demir
One is a risk taker while the other is some1 who plays on the safe side

I wonder how on earth are those beasts of polar attributes manage to work together ffs
They complement each other perfectly.

I_Love_F16

Contributor
France Correspondent
Reactions
10 1,544
Nation of residence
France
Nation of origin
France
These two are gonna kill each other some day...

I think y'all know who I'm referring to.

View attachment 56334

‘‘We don’t want anything unsafe to be done’’. Lol, why is he scared like that, I mean if the CEO of the company that produces the aircraft say that he can make the first flight before 2024 then it is surely possible.

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,099
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Personally, I'm on team Ismail Demir, play it safe. Dont oversell. But I understand why Kotil is the way he is.
It's his management style, his character. Nothing wrong with it tbh.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom