DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
65 7,563
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Under normal conditions, I'd agree with this. But Sisi got himself into a lotta pickles lately.
The ill-received way they handled Gaza, food shortages, the overall state of their economy, the water dispute with Ethiopia, etc.

This current rapprochement is not exactly a negotiation between equals.
If Sisi wants to keep Egypt from collapsing, let alone hold onto his power, he has to swallow his pride and agree to some things.

Well, if it ever happens then a particular country in the Middle East will loose its so called 'qualitative edge'

Heartbang

Experienced member
Reactions
7 3,650
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Well, if it ever happens then a particular country in the Middle East will loose its so called 'qualitative edge'
Holy shit you fucken murdered them dude :D they get real pissy when you call'em middle eastern lol

Say it again for the greek members of our forum XD

uçuyorum

Contributor
Reactions
9 1,215
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I have no idea. However, unlike Baykar, I don't think TAI will make presentations on social media for each flight.
I personally don't think this prototype will fly again, I think we will have to wait another year at least for next prototype.

Rooxbar

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
41 1,488
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
I personally don't think this prototype will fly again, I think we will have to wait another year at least for next prototype.
I thought the whole reason they made this prototype flight-worthy is to gather data in flight to have a more rigorous CDR phase to achieve design freeze faster later?

uçuyorum

Contributor
Reactions
9 1,215
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I thought the whole reason they made this prototype flight-worthy is to gather data in flight to have a more rigorous CDR phase to achieve design freeze faster later?
Didn't they do just that? I mean without final design how much more useful data can they obtain?

Rodeo

Contributor
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
31 4,925
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Didn't they do just that? I mean without final design how much more useful data can they obtain?
There must be many system identification tests to bring the simulation software as close as possible to the real thing, so that most of the future tests can be done in simulation environment to shorten the development time.

Rooxbar

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
41 1,488
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
well why would they just fly it once? if they want to gather data, they will want to gather it in a myriad of conditions, in transonic, supersonic regimes, with and without afterburners, stall and post-stall maneuvers, different environmental conditions, and in general flight envelope expansion and even maybe test stores separation.

uçuyorum

Contributor
Reactions
9 1,215
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
well why would they just fly it once? if they want to gather data, they will want to gather it in a myriad of conditions, in transonic, supersonic regimes, with and without afterburners, stall and post-stall maneuvers, different environmental conditions, and in general flight envelope expansion and even maybe test stores separation.
This airframe was not even meant to fly at first. That it managed to do first flight is amazing, but I doubt pushing it into those circumstances is gonna be too wise. I'd imagine they would take the data here and do necessary modifications for flight of the second prototype that was the first one actually meant to fly and improve from there rather than continue work on this one, but that's just my guess

Rooxbar

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
41 1,488
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
This airframe was not even meant to fly at first. That it managed to do first flight is amazing, but I doubt pushing it into those circumstances is gonna be too wise. I'd imagine they would take the data here and do necessary modifications for flight of the second prototype that was the first one actually meant to fly and improve from there rather than continue work on this one, but that's just my guess
If load and durability tests on the ground are done already, or after they've been finished the prototype is of no other use anyway so just better get out of it what you can instead of it gathering dust.

edit: and here we have official confirmation that it will continue to fly:

Zapper

Experienced member
India Correspondent
Reactions
10 851
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
India
Unsure if this has been posted before but this is a beautiful shot

1708890843562.png

Spitfire9

Reactions
8 388
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
United Kingdom
If load and durability tests on the ground are done already, or after they've been finished the prototype is of no other use anyway so just better get out of it what you can instead of it gathering dust.

edit: and here we have official confirmation that it will continue to fly:

One thing I find curious: the maiden flight lasted 13 minutes. To my memory, this is unusually short. It makes me wonder whether

- the object was simply to get the aircraft to fly for publicity reasons (useful in campaigning for the upcoming election)
- confidence was low, so minimal time airborne was desirable
- issue(s) appeared while airborne, so the flight was cut short as a matter of caution

Rooxbar

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
41 1,488
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
One thing I find curious: the maiden flight lasted 13 minutes. To my memory, this is unusually short. It makes me wonder whether

- the object was simply to get the aircraft to fly for publicity reasons (useful in campaigning for the upcoming election)
- issue(s) appeared while airborne, so the flight was cut short as a matter of caution
Well, I think on that we can only speculate. No. 2 & 3 seems to be out of the question considering the stability of the flight and landing; and the list you provide doesn't exhaust options. The feeling I get from listening to Temel Kotil is that they have tried to fly it before a couple of times and it may have flown but probably due to pr aspect they didn't want to show off those cases which may have been far from pristine (only a guess obviously). They probably wanted to show an "official" maiden flight to be able to take off that load and continue with the testing procedures which seems they are taking very seriously. This we can infer also from the speed and urgency with which this project has been advancing and the frequency with which projects like TB3 and Hurjet are doing flight tests (43 flight tests for the latter), belying much political interference in any of these projects for pr purposes beyond showing off a maiden flight or completion of prototypes here and there. A very tight timetable from the armed forces seems to be more dominant in setting the agenda.

godel44

Reactions
8 395
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

10 to 15 minutes is expected for the maiden flight. And I hope we can put behind the irrational "election" narrative after being disproven a gazillion times.

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
116 14,882
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Please read @Cabatli_TR 's post #2797 in above page if you are questioning the 2028 deadline for TF-35000 engine. With that consortium that contains RR in design stage, there is a good chance that the engine will materialise at given deadline or thereabouts (as per first flight) .
Otherwise all officials that have uttered the 2028 deadline, will look pretty silly.

Chocopie

Contributor
South Korea Correspondent
Reactions
33 1,953
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
South Korea
10 to 15 minutes is expected for the maiden flight. And I hope we can put behind the irrational "election" narrative after being disproven a gazillion times.
First flight duration of recent 4.5/5th gen prototypes:

Kaan: 13 minutes (2024)
J-20: 15 minutes (2011)
YF-22 (F-22): 18 minutes (1990)
X-35A (F-35A): 22 minutes (2000)
KF-21: 33 minutes (2022)
T-50 (Su-57): 47 minutes (2010)

Spitfire9

Reactions
8 388
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
United Kingdom
First flight duration of recent 4.5/5th gen prototypes:

Kaan: 13 minutes (2024)
J-20: 15 minutes (2011)
YF-22 (F-22): 18 minutes (1990)
X-35A (F-35A): 22 minutes (2000)
KF-21: 33 minutes (2022)
T-50 (Su-57): 47 minutes (2010)
Apologies. My mistake. I think I have confused airliner maiden flight durations with fast jet maiden flight durations.

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,732
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
The current KAAN prototype will fly again it will do test flights regularly but not as frequently as the Hurjet prototype. The second prototype might not fly this year. If it flies this year it will fly by the end of 2024.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom