Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
7 7,216
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Do you know this or are you just guessing? What can justify 4 years delay and illogical stubbornness that would jeopardise the whole TFX project?
Not having to get a crippled, good for nothing engine is worth waiting a few years.
Bad terms make it somebody else's engine, only after ironing some remaining kinks did we agree to move forward, this tells something to the wise.

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
118 14,973
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
@Yasar ;

What are the differences between 5th generation turbofan jet engines and 6th generation turbofan jet engines? Except for electric kW output powers and variable by-pass technology?
Some of the major differences between 5th gen and 6th gen fighters are; improved speed, range, stealth and self healing characteristics of these planes.
To achieve better speed and to be able to fly at higher altitude the engines will have to have much higher thrust levels. This means better materials and better performing engines under sustained strain.
Planes will have to have much better drag coefficients to go faster and longer. This means engines will have to be designed not to add to overall drag of the plane. (A ramjet can reduce drag coefficient of a jet engine)
Engines will have to be extra efficient to conserve fuel, hence increase range.
Air inlet and nozzle characteristics of the engines will have to be designed to much stricter tolerances to achieve better stealth features.
Digital control of engine and it’s diagnostics tied to auto repair systems can be enhanced.
There are materials that can heal themselves, say, if cracks occur. These can be incorporated in certain engine parts to help increase engine efficiency and engine performance at sustained high levels.
We need to remember that ; Currently we have 5th generation planes flying in some form or another. We still have not perfected 5th generation technology.
6th generation planes are still inside computers, in design phase.

Last edited:

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,814
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
@Yasar ;

What are the differences between 5th generation turbofan jet engines and 6th generation turbofan jet engines? Except for electric kW output powers and variable by-pass technology?
Apart from the things you wrote the main improvement is core of the engine can sustain higher temperatures so the thrust/weight ratio and thrust/volume ratio is higher.

Fighter_35

Contributor
Reactions
1 739
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
The alternative engine is probably the XF-9 engine. It is the engine of the Japanese fighter F-X (F-3/Mitsubishi-X).

R&R offer is not EJ-200. EJ-200 is off the table as TF-X will need a big redesign. The new engine will be similar to F-110 in size.
If dimensions will stay same, best and only choice is japanese engine. It also provides up to 50 percent more power compared to normal f-110 engines with same dimensions.

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,814
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Forgot Japanese. Americans let them not give anything.
It has nothing to do with Americans. Japanese ATLA is cooperating with R&R. The US can still effect a possible deal as the US holds a big influence over Japan.

Last edited:

Nutuk

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
8 3,546
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
I suspect that Rolls Royce will use the F136 engine as base for the TFx engine.

For the F35 project two engines were developed:
- F135 by Pratt & Whitney
- F136 by Rolls Royce / GE

With Defence budget cuts of the US congress the F135 was chosen to be the sole engine for the F35 program, but F136 was already developed in advanced stage and hat her engine run, after that the F136 was shelved.

Rolls Royce may take the F136 and continue to develop it for TFx (this is just my own theory, but Rolls Royce has the technology in house for the TFx engine)

Khagan1923

Contributor
Reactions
12 3,913
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
I suspect that Rolls Royce will use the F136 engine as base for the TFx engine.

For the F35 project two engines were developed:
- F135 by Pratt & Whitney
- F136 by Rolls Royce / GE

With Defence budget cuts of the US congress the F135 was chosen to be the sole engine for the F35 program, but F136 was already developed in advanced stage and hat her engine run, after that the F136 was shelved.

Rolls Royce may take the F136 and continue to develop it for TFx (this is just my own theory, but Rolls Royce has the technology in house for the TFx engine)

If we can get a engine in the same class as the F-136/F-135 we should be more than happy. Especially if the rights belong to us.

Nutuk

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
8 3,546
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
If you watch SSB closely they do not talk about "milli" engine but they talk about "yerli" engine.

Rolls Royce has only the F136 engine that is of same diameter as the F110 engine, the EJ200 is a much smaller diameter engine.

So it is simple mathematics, TFx is designed to house F110 engine. You cannot switch to EJ200 as that would mean re-design of the TFx.

Leaves IMHO only the F136 engine in the same diameter as F110. Therefor I am expecting a derivative of the F136 for Turkey (kinda like the Volvo RM12 which is a derivative of the F404 engine) to be produced as "yerli" in Turkey.

Hexciter

Experienced member
Reactions
4 11,447
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
If you watch SSB closely they do not talk about "milli" engine but they talk about "yerli" engine.

Rolls Royce has only the F136 engine that is of same diameter as the F110 engine, the EJ200 is a much smaller diameter engine.

So it is simple mathematics, TFx is designed to house F110 engine. You cannot switch to EJ200 as that would mean re-design of the TFx.

Leaves IMHO only the F136 engine in the same diameter as F110. Therefor I am expecting a derivative of the F136 for Turkey (kinda like the Volvo RM12 which is a derivative of the F404 engine) to be produced as "yerli" in Turkey.
As F136 designed for F-35, US restrictions will be applied over its technology and design for sure by US

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,814
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

I also expect this. F-136 is a great engine. It is designed for a stealth fighter from the scratch. This is important. It can also satisfy power requirements for later blocks of TF-X/MMU. I hope this happens.

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,814
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Therefore I do not expect it entirely to be F136 but to be based (derivative) of F136
True we don't know the extent of the American components on that engine. Those will probably be replaced while the Turkish variant is in development.

peers

Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
1st option: Starting a certain number of production with the F110 engine. 2028 beginning of limited series production.

2nd option: What I understand; We are in talks with RR for a domestic engine, the project of which belongs to RR, to be produced or to be produced in Turkey. As far as I know, there is no certainty yet. I don't think the USA will allow it if the engine is f136, I think it must be a new concept. 2022-? when will it finish?

3rd option: TRMotor has been working on the concept project of the domestic-national engine for about 5 years. The second phase of this project has been passed. It will likely be completed in 2028.

The strategy of buying ready-made in the short term, co-production in the medium term, and developing and producing one's own design in the long term seems to be a good way. What I don't understand is how many years will it take to produce an engine of this size if the RR starts today?

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
118 14,973
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
1st option: Starting a certain number of production with the F110 engine. 2028 beginning of limited series production.

2nd option: What I understand; We are in talks with RR for a domestic engine, the project of which belongs to RR, to be produced or to be produced in Turkey. As far as I know, there is no certainty yet. I don't think the USA will allow it if the engine is f136, I think it must be a new concept. 2022-? when will it finish?

3rd option: TRMotor has been working on the concept project of the domestic-national engine for about 5 years. The second phase of this project has been passed. It will likely be completed in 2028.

The strategy of buying ready-made in the short term, co-production in the medium term, and developing and producing one's own design in the long term seems to be a good way. What I don't understand is how many years will it take to produce an engine of this size if the RR starts today?
Your first option is what SSB president has told everyone anyway. He even insinuated that the supply/production/purchase of F110s needed for the first production run have been confirmed.
For your second option, one has to remember that US pulled out of f136 project altogether. RR may not even produce the f136 as it was first produced anyway, since it was a joint effort with GE. But RR can retain the essence of the technology and apply it to a new engine that would resemble a hybrid of f136 and F110-GE-129-EFE. In fact they may even use the design parameters TR-Motor have been working on. After all, they are a production orientated company in essence. What would take TEI years, may be close to a decade, to perfect, they would realise it within a fraction of the time. All of the British Airways planes have RR emblem on them. They are mostly RR produced engines, and/or usually derivatives of the original US engines. So it would be easy for RR to emulate western engines.
TR-Motor is a design bureau and can not produce an engine. But the work they have done to date, in the hands of a company like RR, can transform in to an engine that would suit our needs in a short time. TR-Motor’s recent cooperation with Ivchenko Progres, if they managed to employ some of their staff, may prove to be an asset to help speed things up.
But as we have examples in front of us where even a simple engine like a turbo shaft TS-1400 is not going to be ready for serial production before 2025 at best, to expect a stealthy turbofan engine the size of a f110 or even f136 to be ready before mid 2030s is nothing but, wishful thinking. We do need the collaboration with RR to make it all happen. The other options are just too long winded and not really feasible.
Just look at Japan! A country that can and have produced large turbofan engines, is going in to collaboration with RR. We need to be tied to western technology. There will be variable cycle turbofans and “variable-cycle-turbofan- ramjet engines” to come yet. We need to have our foot in the door to keep the technology flowing our way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom