Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
80 45,486
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
No, I remember TEİ stating the tests (flying) will start in 2028, not serial production.

Given that they test the engine for around 4 years (2032), we would need ~200 engines for the production.

This deal is probably for that

As previously stated by official mouths, it was said that initial part of production would be made with foreign engines.

In fact, Mr. Akşit has said in his last interview that flight tests with domestic engines wont start before 2030 as far as i remember correctly. It was stated as well that if there is no engineering problem in TFX development and test roadway, first delivery and start of mass production for MMU are planned in 2028.

I predict First ignition of core engine may start in around 2024/2025 and Complete domestic engine with afterburner, gearbox will start tests/optimization in around 2027/2028 and most likely flight tests of final engine will start in 2030 and will probably enter into a 2-3 year re-optimization period in accordance to datas taken from flights.

In other words, there will be a 5-year calendar difference between TFX and the domestic engine at best. If for example 10 MMU Block-1 LRIP production is planned annually, rather than 24 in first 5 year period, this would mean roughly ~50 TFX and 100 F110 engines until 35000lb Tf35000 engine become operational.

Agha Sher

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
10 9,229
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Afghanistan
As previously stated by official mouths, it was said that initial part of production would be made with foreign engines.

In fact, Mr. Akşit has said in his last interview that flight tests with domestic engines wont start before 2030. It was stated as well that if there is no engineering problem in TFX development and test roadway, first delivery and start of mass production for MMU are planned in 2028.
Complete domestic engine with afterburner, gearbox will start tests/optimization and most likely flight tests of final engine will start in 2030 and will probably enter into a 2-3 year re-optimization period in accordance to datas taken from flights.

In other words, there will be a 5-year calendar difference between TFX and the domestic engine at best. If for example 10 MMU Block-1 LRIP production is planned annually, rather than 24 in first 5 year period, this would mean roughly ~50 TFX and 100 F110 engines until 35000lb Tf35000 engine become operational.

I don’t remember why exactly, but an official stated that they aimed to produce 2xTF-X a month in 2029.

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 14,016
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Can this be a prologue to reopening negotiations about f35 deliveries, from the US side?
Or is LM saying ; “sort out your state to state differences and take delivery of the planes I have produced for you.“

On another note; Hadn‘t US government instructed LM to prepare these planes to be transferred to the inventory of US airforce?

Do you have a source for this?

It is possible after they saw Kızılelma fly, Anka 3 is right around the corner, and the MMU project is advancing as planned the US might be willing to release F-35s for the Turkish Airforce but I think it is a subtle message to Turkiye because we are bothering the US about the money we paid for F-35s. This can be an answer to that request.

TAI is pushing to deliver the first TFX in late 2028 or in 2029 and plans to build 2x TFX per month. This means we need 48x GE engines per year. The national engine won't be ready before 2030 so we need around 100 engines if we take spare engines into account. The latest info i have suggest that the first ignition of the national engine will be done in 2026 and integration&flight tests on TFX will start in 2028-29. The schedule is better than an engine developed from scratch because it will be a scaled-up version of TF-6000 with added 5th-generation abilities( IR&RCS reduction).

Last edited:

TR_123456

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey

It is possible after they saw Kızılelma fly, Anka 3 is right around the corner, and the MMU project is advancing as planned the US might be willing to release F-35s for the Turkish Airforce but I think it is a subtle message to Turkiye because we are bothering the US about the money we paid for F-35s. This can be an answer to that request.
I dont think its about the money,there must be something else going on.
Such a fuss for just $1,4 billion?

Khagan1923

Contributor
Reactions
13 3,938
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
I dont think its about the money,there must be something else going on.
Such a fuss for just $1,4 billion?

Source is Sabah so I would be skeptical. But if it is true the easy answer from the Turkish side needs to be to just hand over the planes if the americans are bothered by them taking up storage space in their warehouses.

It is not us who decline the transfer of the planes onto turkish soil it is the americans not handing them over.

Who knows with the americans. It is possible that they really asked for money for because they are keeping them in storage.

Or they think this is a way to get Turkey back into the program in some weird way.

As info, they asked Pakistan also for "rent" while not handing over their F-16 in the 90s. So it is not something out of the ordinary.

TR_123456

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
Source is Sabah so I would be skeptical. But if it is true the easy answer from the Turkish side needs to be to just hand over the planes if the americans are bothered by them taking up storage space in their warehouses.

It is not us who decline the transfer of the planes onto turkish soil it is the americans not handing them over.

Who knows with the americans. It is possible that they really asked for money for because they are keeping them in storage.

Or they think this is a way to get Turkiye back into the program in some weird way.

As info, they asked Pakistan also for "rent" while not handing over their F-16 in the 90s. So it is not something out of the ordinary.
Thats the word; ''Weird'''.

Chocopie

Contributor
South Korea Correspondent
Reactions
33 1,997
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
South Korea

Or they think this is a way to get Turkiye back into the program in some weird way.

US boys have started Storage Wars apparently.

Attachments

• E4725EA7-B651-484C-AF1C-EECCF6D0C328.jpeg
    E4725EA7-B651-484C-AF1C-EECCF6D0C328.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 71

RMZN

Reactions
1 181
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
There was a tweet from 2021 from some Turkish Twitter account reporting the same news back then. I wouldn't expect anything positive regarding the F-35 acquisition out of this situation.

Cypro

Contributor
Reactions
3 1,798
Nation of residence
Northern Cyprus
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus
F110 order is very logical, it is a known fact that you need engines for prototypes LRIPs and some spare engines.. even F16s need F110 engines so that order is logical, and small enough to be get away from sanctions, producing engines in Turkiye could prevent any sanctions or delays just like T700. IMO TEI should also produce Hurjet engines under license. Domestic engine is at least! 10 years away whoever produces it.

I also heard yesterday that rental fee issue, I don't think it means anything or is a message. The US is a very complicated country with lots of procedures, a lot of different decision makers etc. Whether this rental fee issue comes from Pentagon or LM, it is not related with other decisions, it is just bureaucracy, bookkeeping etc. Do we know which period this rental fee covers? could be even old. Unfortunately there is no escape from this Love and Hate, frenemy relation with USA, no need to suprise.

GoatsMilk

Experienced member
Reactions
11 9,062
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
F110 order is very logical, it is a known fact that you need engines for prototypes LRIPs and some spare engines.. even F16s need F110 engines so that order is logical, and small enough to be get away from sanctions, producing engines in Turkiye could prevent any sanctions or delays just like T700. IMO TEI should also produce Hurjet engines under license. Domestic engine is at least! 10 years away whoever produces it.

I also heard yesterday that rental fee issue, I don't think it means anything or is a message. The US is a very complicated country with lots of procedures, a lot of different decision makers etc. Whether this rental fee issue comes from Pentagon or LM, it is not related with other decisions, it is just bureaucracy, bookkeeping etc. Do we know which period this rental fee covers? could be even old. Unfortunately there is no escape from this Love and Hate, frenemy relation with USA, no need to suprise.

gradually we need to move away completely from american systems.

Tonyukuk

Reactions
2 1,041
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Kazakhstan
I have been struggling to find any information on what weapons will be fit in the internal weapon bay. Will there be air-to-ground missiles and munitions that will fit in the internal weapon bay/s or only air-to-air missiles?

Turan

Reactions
1 350
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Azerbaijan
Ok great, this thing is going to be a beast.

I thought so because of it's sheer size, but I just hope it isn't as limited as the F22. As long as it can carry SOM internally, I'm happy.
İ think First block of MMU will be like stealth version of f15

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom