what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,089
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
We're reaching a level of maturity in the defence industry, where we can make a geopolitical impact.
For decades, Azerbaijan was refused modern fighter jets. The day we get our domestic engines running in KAAN will be truly historic.

Would be nice to see an order.

Unrelated, but do we have any pictures of Hürjet in light combat aircraft mode?
Can only find trainer pictures and modells.

Bürküt

Contributor
Defence News Editor
Reactions
61 2,178
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

Turkey and Azerbaijan decided to cooperate for the development of the National Combat Aircraft KAAN!

The official agreement will be signed tomorrow as part of IDEF'23.
Azerbaijan's technical or economic contribution to the project will be limited.I don't expect the number of purchases to be high either.But I wouldn't be that happy if there was news that a gulf country would buy 120 Kaan.I am very happy for both our countries.

Bogeyman 

Experienced member
Professional
Reactions
60 29,441
Website
twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Azerbaijan's technical or economic contribution to the project will be limited.I don't expect the number of purchases to be high either.But I wouldn't be that happy if there was news that a gulf country would buy 120 Kaan.I am very happy for both our countries.
Azerbaijan is a net energy exporter country. Moreover, they set up the defense budget in dollars. This will be the lifeline for the KAAN project. Also, Azerbaijan has great potential in basic sciences. In the past, agreements were signed with TAI to develop cooperation and joint R&D. Now is the time to reap the fruits of those agreements.

Bürküt

Contributor
Defence News Editor
Reactions
61 2,178
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Azerbaijan is a net energy exporter country. Moreover, they set up the defense budget in dollars. This will be the lifeline for the KAAN project.
Even if Azerbaijan is a net energy exporter, They have a GDP around $55 billion.That sounds like a low number for their population.

Also, Azerbaijan has great potential in basic sciences. In the past, agreements were signed with TAI to develop cooperation and joint R&D. Now is the time to reap the fruits of those agreements.
I read somethings about certain cooperation with Kazakhstan on the defence topics in the past.But I don't know much about Azerbaijan's technical capabilities or our defence companies cooperation in Azerbaijan , so it would be better for me not to comment too much on that.

Bogeyman 

Experienced member
Professional
Reactions
60 29,441
Website
twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Even if Azerbaijan is a net energy exporter, They have a GDP around $55 billion.That sounds like a low number for their population.

I read somethings about certain cooperation with Kazakhstan on the defence topics in the past.But I don't know much about Azerbaijan's technical capabilities or our defence companies cooperation in Azerbaijan , so it would be better for me not to comment too much on that.
Cooperation from TAI in Azerbaijan 25.09.2018

Turkish Aerospace Industries (TUSAŞ) is collaborating in Azerbaijan to support its work in the aerospace industry.

TAI is exhibiting its products for the aerospace industry at the Azerbaijan International Defense Fair (ADEX), where Turkey participates nationally.

The company's booth includes mock-ups of the National Combat Aircraft, armed Hürkuş, the unmanned aerial vehicle Anka-S, the T625 helicopter, Göktürk-1 and Türksat 6A satellites.

TAI signed a cooperation protocol with the Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences (AMIA) at the fair. Mustafa Akkurt, Head of Human Resources, signed the protocol on behalf of TAI. At the signing ceremony, TUSAŞ Corporate Communications and Marketing President Tamer Özmen, Strategy and Technology Management President Prof. Dr. Fahrettin Öztürk was also present.

With the protocol, it is aimed to establish mutual sustainable cooperation in the field of defense and aviation with the academic programs within AMIA, to accelerate R&D studies by sharing experiences and to exchange ideas.

Mustafa Akkurt told Anadolu Agency (AA) that they will benefit from the academic programs of AMIA within the scope of the protocol and that various resources related to basic sciences will be brought to Azerbaijan and Turkey.

Akkurt stated that the cooperation is not limited to an academic framework, it covers a wide science and technology ecosystem. Mustafa Akkurt gave the following information:

"The experience in basic sciences in Azerbaijan will be brought together with our experience. It is envisaged to share knowledge and experience with each other. It is envisaged to transfer the existing knowledge, especially basic sciences, to Turkey, which will contribute to our development in the aviation and space industry, and also to add our design, production, quality and certification skills." We aim to present it to Azerbaijan. Through this institution, we have opened the door to cooperation with various universities in Azerbaijan."

Within the scope of the said cooperation, it is aimed to strengthen TAI's concrete projects for high technology with the knowledge to be gained on basic sciences.

And the memory speaks. ;)

Okaber

Reactions
2 189
Nation of residence
Norway
Nation of origin
Azerbaijan

Azerbaijan’s GDP was $79 bln in 2022.

But trade surplus of $27 bln.

As for cooperation with Turkish defence companies, Azerbaijan imported about $1 bln from Turkish defence industry between 2010-2020 (excluding the Firtina deal that could not be realized due to German engine). This is a small amount compared to arms purchases from Israel and Russia in the same period (~ $12 bln combined) but today Turkish defence industry is in a better, much stronger position and with many new (finished) products, which naturally means there is more opportunity.

Azerbaijan DM said at İDEF (2023) that Azerbaijan now favors Turkey for arms purchases.

Btw, Azerbaijan MOD and Baykar signed an agreement for production of UAVs in Azerbaijan few months ago.

Last edited:

Radonsider

Contributor
Reactions
13 2,545
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
1690310015939.png

ASELSAN RAM test? Or comparison with other simulation models/systems

Huelague

Experienced member
Reactions
4 3,853
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
The number of jets are not import in that matter. We want to build net-centric aviation system across all Turkic states.

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,703
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
It is the competition result of a NATO project. Aselsan outperformed those 3 companies. It is not really that secret.

Knowledgeseeker

Experienced member
Arab Moderator
Morocco Moderator
Reactions
16 4,401
Nation of residence
Norway
Nation of origin
Moroco
Yeah idk where Sequ found this from but seems like this was from a project where multiple foreign companies were involved
It is the competition result of a NATO project. Aselsan outperformed those 3 companies. It is not really that secret.

Does anyone have any public sources?

Xenon54

Experienced member
Switzerland Correspondent
Reactions
5 6,702
Nation of residence
Switzerland
Nation of origin
Turkey
But they have enough cash to contribute to the program which in itself is a lot, such a program is not cheap after all.

Khagan1923

Contributor
Reactions
12 3,864
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
But they have enough cash to contribute to the program which in itself is a lot, such a program is not cheap after all.
Azerbaijans main contribution will be financial. I'm sure there will be some ToT and maybe part production in the future but in the beginning it will most likely just stay at financial support. All of this is not surpising though. With Azerbaijan unwinding itself from Russia its options have been limited to refresh its Air Force. I always expected them to be the first customer for Kaan with Turkish engines I'm sure they will also show interest in Hürjet with an indigenous engine if it ever happens. I rather have our brothers and sisters as a partner even if their help is limited mainly to money then let gulf states into the project.

Bmx98

Reactions
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Albania
Azerbaijans main contribution will be financial. I'm sure there will be some ToT and maybe part production in the future but in the beginning it will most likely just stay at financial support. All of this is not surpising though. With Azerbaijan unwinding itself from Russia its options have been limited to refresh its Air Force. I always expected them to be the first customer for Kaan with Turkish engines I'm sure they will also show interest in Hürjet with an indigenous engine if it ever happens. I rather have our brothers and sisters as a partner even if their help is limited mainly to money then let gulf states into the project.
Gulf states are going to be a part of this project wether you like it or not. It won't be economically feasible without at least one of them chipping in, SSB knows that too, they are marketing hard to Saudis.

Xenon54

Experienced member
Switzerland Correspondent
Reactions
5 6,702
Nation of residence
Switzerland
Nation of origin
Turkey
Even if they would stay on Russian side what does Russia have to offer to Azerbaijan? They barely have anything thats able to compete with 4th gen Western jets let alone 5th gen.

Gulf states are going to be a part of this project wether you like it or not. It won't be economically feasible without at least one of them chipping in, SSB knows that too, they are marketing hard to Saudis.
Gulf states will have much more important things to deal with in the coming decades, i dont mind having them contribute financially as long as they have money.

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
78 10,756
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
The armed forces of Azerbaijan and Turkiye are becoming more and more integrated, not only in terms of organization, technical and training-equiping works, but also in legal terms. This type of relationship is extremely unique even on a world scale. So it is inevitable that this integration will also include deep industrial cooperation. As for KAAN program or MIUS etc., from my point of view, there is no difference between the two countries, we can only be proud that these capabilities have been brought to Azerbaijan. Of course, capacity building is not something that will happen all at once, but seeing the Azerbaijan flag on these aircrafts will definitely be something to be proud of while will create deep concerns for non-friendly countries.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom