Huelague

Experienced member
Reactions
4 3,837
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
TAI General Manager Temel Kotil told a television program that they chose Dec. 27, for KAAN's first appearance in Turkish skies, five years earlier than planned.

KAAN was originally scheduled to fly with a Turkish engine in 2028, but the process ended faster than they expected, Kotil said.

Can some one explain these parts?

Heartbang

Experienced member
Reactions
7 3,571
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Türkiye’s domestically developed 5th-generation fighter jet "KAAN" will start flights in December, according to the head of Turkish Aerospace Industries (TAI).

TAI General Manager Temel Kotil told a television program that they chose Dec. 27, for KAAN's first appearance in Turkish skies, five years earlier than planned.

On Dec. 27, 1919, Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, founder of the Republic of Türkiye, and his brothers-in-arms arrived in Ankara, which was one of the watershed moments in the establishment of the independent Turkish republic and the beginning of the War of Independence.

KAAN was originally scheduled to fly with a Turkish engine in 2028, but the process ended faster than they expected, Kotil said.

While the KAAN project began in 2016, TAI was expected to deliver the fighter jets to the Turkish Air Forces Command by 2028.

The 21-meter (about 69-feet) aircraft can reach a maximum speed of Mach 1.8 (2,222 kph) thanks to its twin engines, which can produce 29,000 pounds (13,000 kilograms) thrust each.

The KAAN's capabilities include high situational awareness, optimized pilot workload, combat damage detection, new-generation mission systems, low observability, precision strikes and an internal weapon bay.

The fifth-generation aircraft KAAN was developed by TAI with the aim to replace the Turkish army's aging F-16 fleet.

"Take wing"?
Yikes, that's a chicken translate moment, right there. :/

Strayker

Reactions
1 18
Nation of residence
France
Nation of origin
Azerbaijan
Even if Azerbaijan is a net energy exporter, They have a GDP around $55 billion.That sounds like a low number for their population.

I read somethings about certain cooperation with Kazakhstan on the defence topics in the past.But I don't know much about Azerbaijan's technical capabilities or our defence companies cooperation in Azerbaijan , so it would be better for me not to comment too much on that.
Greetings to All!
It should be noted that Azerbaijan's GDP is far from 55 billion by 2022 showed an increase to $ 79 billion, the planned GDP for 2023 is in the order of 80 billion, and Azerbaijan's strategic foreign exchange reserves are equal to $ 69 billion, there is a positive balance, which is a good result.
What can Azerbaijan offer?
1) Scientific base
2) Factory capacities of their concerns.
3) Investments, and in the future the purchase of promising aircraft.
Azerbaijan has been considering options for updating its fleet for a long time. Unfortunately, the Pakistani JF-17s did not meet expectations, so we had to reconsider the decision and wait for new options.
KAAN is not far off, I am more than confident that Azerbaijan can allocate up to $ 5 billion for this project, which is extremely important against the background of KAAN entering the most expensive stage of designing and testing prototypes of a domestic fighter. The news from the Persian Gulf countries is also pleasant, their multibillion-dollar investments, contracts and offers can seriously help TAI.
Let's hope that we will still be able to bring the matter to the final end and enjoy these birds that will stand guard over our sky.

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
78 10,702
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
What can Azerbaijan offer?
The Kaan project is the Turkish aviation industry's ticket to the top league. It will be one of only a handful of manned platforms that will be used to express the upper-end limits of combatant aviation globally, 2030s onwards.

Apart from all the technical and financial issues, the risk-sharing and fateful cooperation in the Azerbaijan-Turkiye aviation/related circles will bring something else. It will create an alternative to traditional centers of power, especially for countries caught between two worlds. I think the fact that the core of this emerging power center is being launched with two Turkic countries is an issue that needs to be examined from a political point of view, and next decades geopolitical projections.

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,686
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
What level of tech is Turkey willing to share with Azerbaijan and probably Pakistan (as some rumors state)?
Is it only involving parts production or may involve more complicated processes? And how will Turkey guarantee that the parts to be produced abroad is of superior quality and cheaper when Azerbaijan currency is better than the lira?

Cooperation is related to structural production.

Ecderha

Experienced member
Reactions
4 7,789
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey
Language Turkish.

Main things.
1.Turkiye already succeed and now possess the highest tech on Burning chamber.
2.Have look this is TF 10 000 engine. If we increase diameter of this engine with 15cm it will provide the required out put of KAAN. 35 000lbs
3.For you question when engine will be delivered. At moment there are other team TR motor and We TEI building are responsible of some part of the KAAN engine.
I want to underline that because KAAN engine is not fully assigned to be developed by TEI that is Why I can NOT give you exact date.
But if it is need it by Turkiye we will deliver it by 2026.
4.At present we need to test TF10 000 1-2 years and when we get feedback from test to Check our Already build knowledge then KAAN engine will be confirmed to be scaled and proven design

Aqerdf

Reactions
5 217
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I couldn't remember the source, apologies.

There was a reportage with Mr. Kotil in Idef 2023.

Mr. Kotil was saying:

"Our national engine will fly in 2028."

"Delivering to National Defense will be 5 years after that."

I think...

Merzifonlu

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
24 2,053
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
2.Have look this is TF 10 000 engine. If we increase diameter of this engine with 15cm it will provide the required out put of KAAN. 35 000lbs
Not the diameter, but radius. So it will grow 30 cm in diameter. (7:49 in video)

For the TF 35000 engine, I expect a diameter of between 120 and 123 cm and a length of approximately 5.5 meters. (For comparison, F110's length 4.62 meters.)

I expect the temperature at the turbine inlet to be around 1600 degrees Celsius. It looks like we'll want to get more thrust by increasing the air flow.

Last edited:

Oublious

Experienced member
The Netherlands Correspondent
Reactions
7 4,328
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
I couldn't remember the source, apologies.

There was a reportage with Mr. Kotil in Idef 2023.

Mr. Kotil was saying:

"Our national engine will fly in 2028."

"Delivering to National Defense will be 5 years after that."

I think...

Licence engine of F-15.

Oublious

Experienced member
The Netherlands Correspondent
Reactions
7 4,328
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
Language Turkish.

Main things.
1.Turkiye already succeed and now possess the highest tech on Burning chamber.
3.For you question when engine will be delivered. At moment there are other team TR motor and We TEI building are responsible of some part of the KAAN engine.
I want to underline that because KAAN engine is not fully assigned to be developed by TEI that is Why I can NOT give you exact date.
But if it is need it by Turkiye we will deliver it by 2026.
4.At present we need to test TF10 000 1-2 years and when we get feedback from test to Check our Already build knowledge then KAAN engine will be confirmed to be scaled and proven design

1 thing that should be noted, 10 years time....

MADDOG

Contributor
Türkiye Correspondent
Professional
Reactions
31 7,949
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Cyprus
Kotil said that they will start to develop passenger plan after 5 years. Do we have more informations? @MADDOG
I possess no info on the current state of TAI's civil aviation programs (most notably the aforementioned passenger aircraft, as it is most probably in very early stages of development).

It's good to be back btw.

Pilatino

Reactions
3 663
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I possess no info on the current state of TAI's civil aviation programs (most notably the aforementioned passenger aircraft, as it is most probably in very early stages of development).

It's good to be back btw.

Won't they work on
1) Mule / Cargo UAVs
2) Global Hawk like
3) Pseudo satellite >55k feet solar long endurance UAVs
4) Last but not least, Kızılelma like pure Unmanned fighters?

Before that or maybe at the same time?

4th one is the biggest question on my mind.

Top Bottom