BalkanTurk90

Contributor
Reactions
5 968
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Turkey
I read that the defence budget for next year will be increased enormously, to around 4% of GDP. No shortage of funding, it would seem. More, I wonder what it can all be spent on.

Its says 40 billion but real one is around 30 billion , they put aslo police budget inside defence one , i dont know how it works for other countries like france and USA .
So - 10 billion police budget

Spitfire9

Committed member
Reactions
6 372
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
United Kingdom
Its says 40 billion but real one is around 30 billion , they put aslo police budget inside defence one , i dont know how it works for other countries like france and USA .
So - 10 billion police budget

Even if the defence budget includes police costs, the 2024 budget is still planned to increase massively.

Could some of the increase be so that Turkey's MOD can buy dollars to secure the currency risk regarding the F-16 deal? Any other large procurements that need to be paid in US dollars? I see that the Turkish lira is predicted to drop heavily against the dollar in the next 2 years (2 year forward market rate is $1=54 lira against $1=28 lira now).

In UK defence and police budgets are separate. Police costs come out of the UK ministry of interior budget.

Last edited:

Hasanrize

Committed member
Reactions
1 509
Nation of residence
Finland
Nation of origin
Turkey

Heartbang

Experienced member
Reactions
7 3,573
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
TUSAŞ always said that they have an agreement with the unnamed country for engines in the case of an engine embargo from the US. I remember this from even 2019. Given that MMU needs the power level of the F-110 engine at least, we can pretty much guess what that unnamed country is.
Barely an hour after you say this, we got this. Interesting.

Spitfire9

Committed member
Reactions
6 372
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
United Kingdom
How many KAAN would Pakistan want? I know that Pakistan is broke and is somewhat under the control of China, but how would Chinese engines end up in KAAN? Would China pay TAI to integrate them (perhaps by lending Pakistan the money to pay TAI)? Assuming Turkiye comes up with an indigenous engine in the next ten years, I don't see any states other than those indebted to China buying a KAAN version with Chinese engines.

I_Love_F16

Contributor
France Correspondent
Reactions
10 1,520
Nation of residence
France
Nation of origin
France
People here believing you can integrate any engines into a fighter jet this easely like you swap a car engine lol.

Rodeo

Contributor
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
30 4,749
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
This account has been discredited numerous times in the past.
No need to sugarcoat it. Whatever that account posts is pure garbage. Not a smidgen of connection to reality. It's just an account to propagate his fantasy. Nothing more.

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
112 14,729
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
People here believing you can integrate any engines into a fighter jet this easely like you swap a car engine lol.
You are correct about interchangeability of jet fighter engines. It is not an easy task by all means. But if the shoe fits, it is not impossible either. The engine compartment of KAAN is wide enough to accommodate the WS15’s diameter. But WS15 is more than 40cm longer than F110. Then again we don’t know how long TF35K will be and how long the engine compartment of KAAN is.

The issue here is the notion that, Chinese are going to release an engine that they developed specifically for their top stealth plane J20 to be used in another western block aircraft where even the number of compression stages of their engine is not known and that the performance of this engine is a closely guarded secret. We don’t know how this engine behaves under load, when turning under high “g” manoeuvres. They won’t release this engine and it’s secrets to the world yet.

JF17s Pakistan has, use Russian Klimov RD93 engines. Pakistan doesn’t want Chinese WS13 engines on JF17s, as they do not perform as well.

Instead of trying to find alternative solutions in other countries’ engines to our engine problem, we need to concentrate in getting our TF35K operational.
Even the notion of purchase of Russian AL41 engines is more credible than Chinese alternative. (Russians do not sell AL41 engines normally but the AL31 are available) Although it has to be remembered that these engines are quite wide and may not fit in to KAAN’s compartment.

As mentioned by @Rodeo , the site is not known for it’s high credibility. So I wouldn’t read too much in to that news.

KAAN, with F110 engines, will be an underpowered, moderately stealthy f15 jet fighter. But it will come to its own with its indigenous TF35K engine. This engine will contain many modern technologies and design features that is going to enhance the performance of the plane. When we export KAAN, are we going to sell a souped-up version of f15 or a 5th generation plane? More importantly will those prospective countries be willing to settle for a 4.5 generation plane when they know that it should really be a 5th generation plane they should be buying?

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,381
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
When we export KAAN, are we going to sell a souped-up version of f15 or a 5th generation plane? More importantly will those prospective countries be willing to settle for a 4.5 generation plane when they know that it should really be a 5th generation plane they should be buying?

I mean, when TF35K is fully ready, (hopefully within 2033/34) this is not gonna be a problem anymore.

I_Love_F16

Contributor
France Correspondent
Reactions
10 1,520
Nation of residence
France
Nation of origin
France
You are correct about interchangeability of jet fighter engines. It is not an easy task by all means. But if the shoe fits, it is not impossible either. The engine compartment of KAAN is wide enough to accommodate the WS15’s diameter. But WS15 is more than 40cm longer than F110. Then again we don’t know how long TF35K will be and how long the engine compartment of KAAN is.

The issue here is the notion that, Chinese are going to release an engine that they developed specifically for their top stealth plane J20 to be used in another western block aircraft where even the number of compression stages of their engine is not known and that the performance of this engine is a closely guarded secret. We don’t know how this engine behaves under load, when turning under high “g” manoeuvres. They won’t release this engine and it’s secrets to the world yet.

JF17s Pakistan has, use Russian Klimov RD93 engines. Pakistan doesn’t want Chinese WS13 engines on JF17s, as they do not perform as well.

Instead of trying to find alternative solutions in other countries’ engines to our engine problem, we need to concentrate in getting our TF35K operational.
Even the notion of purchase of Russian AL41 engines is more credible than Chinese alternative. (Russians do not sell AL41 engines normally but the AL31 are available) Although it has to be remembered that these engines are quite wide and may not fit in to KAAN’s compartment.

As mentioned by @Rodeo , the site is not known for it’s high credibility. So I wouldn’t read too much in to that news.

KAAN, with F110 engines, will be an underpowered, moderately stealthy f15 jet fighter. But it will come to its own with its indigenous TF35K engine. This engine will contain many modern technologies and design features that is going to enhance the performance of the plane. When we export KAAN, are we going to sell a souped-up version of f15 or a 5th generation plane? More importantly will those prospective countries be willing to settle for a 4.5 generation plane when they know that it should really be a 5th generation plane they should be buying?

Russia won’t be able to provide us engines, as I’m sure they have troubles to make them for themselves with all the sanctions and the war in Ukraine. China won’t sell us an adequate engine as you stated above. The only option left is to invest in ourselves to develop the TF-35k, which is the only path we should consider.

Because even with two F110 engines, Kaan will still be a capable fighter, so we shouldn’t bother ourselves buying foreign engines. We should instead dedicate all of our ressources to develop that TF-35K, even if it takes a decade.

wolveray1

Committed member
Reactions
5 447
Nation of residence
Malaysia
Nation of origin
Malaysia
Russia won’t be able to provide us engines, as I’m sure they have troubles to make them for themselves with all the sanctions and the war in Ukraine. China won’t sell us an adequate engine as you stated above. The only option left is to invest in ourselves to develop the TF-35k, which is the only path we should consider.

Because even with two F110 engines, Kaan will still be a capable fighter, so we shouldn’t bother ourselves buying foreign engines. We should instead dedicate all of our ressources to develop that TF-35K, even if it takes a decade.
So what happened when the american wouldn't sell you anymore engine F110 and F404 and your own engine development unfortunately will take a long time to materialize....do you have plan b or c on stanby.

Quasar

Contributor
The Post Deleter
Reactions
34 2,558
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
https://x.com/mavivatannet/status/1720730178643488855?s=20

Negotiations are being held for 100+100 F404-GE-102 engines from the American General Electric company for the TUŞAŞ-produced Hürjet, developed to meet the Turkish Air Force's need for jet trainer and close air support aircraft in the near future.

Prof.Dr. Mahmut AKŞİT

if true 100+100 engine means at least 150+ Hürjet??? :devilish:

Last edited:

I_Love_F16

Contributor
France Correspondent
Reactions
10 1,520
Nation of residence
France
Nation of origin
France
So what happened when the american wouldn't sell you anymore engine F110 and F404 and your own engine development unfortunately will take a long time to materialize....do you have plan b or c on stanby.

Even if the US stops the delivery, we should continue to commit all our ressources into the TF-35K. This project is the most critical in my opinion (higher than the Kaan itself).

wolveray1

Committed member
Reactions
5 447
Nation of residence
Malaysia
Nation of origin
Malaysia
Even if the US stops the delivery, we should continue to commit all our ressources into the TF-35K. This project is the most critical in my opinion (higher than the Kaan itself).
I do hope it will work as you all wish for otherwise it will be just like altay tank...no engine available.

MADDOG

Contributor
Türkiye Correspondent
Professional
Reactions
31 7,949
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Cyprus
Acquired from the conference down below.

-TF-X during initial taxi tests.

Screenshot 2023-11-05 at 14.14.56.png

Screenshot 2023-11-05 at 14.15.11.png

-Hürjet (seemingly an old illustration)

Screenshot 2023-11-05 at 14.18.32.png

-TRMotor timeline

Screenshot 2023-11-05 at 14.24.58.png

-TF-X and Hürjet APU development activities

Screenshot 2023-11-05 at 14.27.02.png

Cabatli_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
80 45,485
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Acquired from the conference down below.

-TF-X during initial taxi tests.

View attachment 62602
View attachment 62603

-Hürjet (seemingly an old illustration)

View attachment 62604

-TRMotor timeline

View attachment 62605

-TF-X and Hürjet APU development activities

View attachment 62606

Important note: More than 650 engineers are working on KAAN's Tf35K engine program under Trmotor, TEI and Ivchenko collaboration.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom