Spitfire9

Reactions
8 389
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
United Kingdom
Been trying to find this figure for so long, thank you so much
Thanks. It is speculative. I think I read it on a forum devoted to Tempest/GCAP.

Dating back to 2020 - before the Tempest programme link up with Japan - here is a RR press release webpage which might be of interest.

Whether that technology will be transferred into a Japanese design based engine I do not know.

PS

While the GCAP programme has not yet been launched (a yes/no decision to choose a design and take it to production is 1-2 years away), the aim is to produce a prototype engine by the late 2020's and have the engine used in the fighter by the mid-2030's. So, around 10 more years before it goes into production. I appreciate that TEI will be aiming at a lower level of technology with TF35K. Can a finalised TF35K be tested, certified and put into production in the next 5 years? I don't suppose that is actually critical since it is not the only engine that can be used to power the KAAN.

PPS

Any news on Azerbaijan, Pakistan involvement?

Last edited:

Merzifonlu

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
24 2,053
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Can a finalised TF35K be tested, certified and put into production in the next 5 years?
Only (and maybe) tested in the next 5 years. No certified and no put into production.

It all depends on the developments in the TF-6k engine. IMO, If TF-6k engine produces at least 4500+ lb thrust on its first ignition and the TF-6k program goes very very smoothly, then the TF-35k engine will be fired for the first time towards the end of 2028.

PPS: No news yet.

Last edited:

Spitfire9

Reactions
8 389
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
United Kingdom
Only (and maybe) tested in the next 5 years. No certified and no put into production.

It all depends on the developments in the TF-6k engine. IMO, If TF-6k engine produces at least 4500+ lb thrust on its first ignition and the TF-6k program goes very very smoothly, then the TF-35k engine will be fired for the first time towards the end of 2028.

PPS: No news yet.
My apologies. I was confused by thinking that plan was for the engine to be integrated on the KAAN in 2028 and to fly that year. I await seeing what results are shown by the TF6000 when it is run.

Just a thought: the KAAN might fly before the Indian AMCA prototype construction and testing programme gets the go ahead - yet both programmes started in the same year!

Rodeo

Contributor
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
31 4,928
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
My apologies. I was confused by thinking that plan was for the engine to be integrated on the KAAN in 2028 and to fly that year. I await seeing what results are shown by the TF6000 when it is run.
The engine's integration to KAAN in 2028 is the current official schedule(per Mr. Temel Kotil).

However, the schedule @Merzifonlu gave is closer to the reality, imho.

Merzifonlu

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
24 2,053
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
In fact, I think that the TF-35k engine will be integrated into Kaan immediately after the first ignition and the Kaan prototype that will fly with that engine will be flown as Kaan unmanned.

Since our schedule is very tight, I think both the TF-6k and TF-35k engines will be integrated into the drones immediately after the first ignition and tested that way. So we will use slightly different procedures than standard testing procedures.

And yes, I think TAI CEO Dr. Temel Kotil is speaking too optimistically. The TF-35k engine can be integrated into the unmanned Kaan prototype, in my opinion, in the second quarter of 2029 at the earliest.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
7 7,214
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Kaan is a twin engine plane equipped with an ejection seat. It can fly with an engine out by design. TF35k can fly on Kaan and fly Kaan to safety when a foreign engine goes dead.

Merzifonlu

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
24 2,053
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Kaan is a twin engine plane equipped with an ejection seat. It can fly with an engine out by design. TF35k can fly on Kaan and fly Kaan to safety when a foreign engine goes dead.
Yes, of course. But by flying unmanned, you get a lot of flight hours. That's why I think tests will be done with unmanned aircraft.

MADDOG

Contributor
Türkiye Correspondent
Professional
Reactions
31 7,977
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Cyprus
Newly released footage from TF-X's assembly & system integration phase. Taken months ago.

Screenshot_20231013_135239_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20231013_135320_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20231013_135338_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20231013_135358_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20231013_135349_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20231013_135410_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20231013_135330_YouTube.jpg

Center fuselage, aft of the turtle neck of the Hürjet

Screenshot_20231013_135424_YouTube.jpg

Hürjet's canopy frame. Pictured inside the assembly facility.

Screenshot_20231013_135513_YouTube.jpg

Spitfire9

Reactions
8 389
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
United Kingdom
Annual inflation is reported to be 61.5%. In Europe it is more like 5%. It looks like the government is spectacularly incompetent at managing the economy. Will foreign countries be put off getting involved in the KAAN project?

Would I invest in a venture in Turkiye which has an insane level of inflation? Almost certainly not. Would I invest in a venture with the Turkish government? Certainly not.

Bogeyman 

Experienced member
Professional
Reactions
61 29,681
Website
twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Annual inflation is reported to be 61.5%. In Europe it is more like 5%. It looks like the government is spectacularly incompetent at managing the economy. Will foreign countries be put off getting involved in the KAAN project?

Would I invest in a venture in Turkiye which has an insane level of inflation? Almost certainly not. Would I invest in a venture with the Turkish government? Certainly not.

What does the bad state of the Turkish economy have to do with the Kaan project? Last time I checked, the economy wasn't so bad that I couldn't finance the Kaan project. In fact, recently the total fund allocated for the defense industry was around 40 billion dollars. So what has you so excited?

Joe mark

Reactions
6 173
Nation of residence
Egypt
Nation of origin
Burkina Faso

Who told you that Türkiye is looking for investors in the project?
Do not worry, because this project is crucial for Turkey and it will be completed

Rodeo

Contributor
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
31 4,928
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

It's irrelevant if there are foreign investors or not. The money is already earmarked. We do not count on others to fund the most important project in the history of the republic.

Baryshx

Contributor
Reactions
8 2,038
Website
www.twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

Good thing you're not involved in the Kaan project 😅

Last edited by a moderator:

boredaf

Contributor
Solutions
Reactions
11 2,835
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Will foreign countries be put off getting involved in the KAAN project?
What a weird thing to say. It's not like a Western power was looking to invest into Kaan as a partner but might be put off by the state of the economy. That is never going to happen. Countries that might invest in it either don't have any other realistic alternative for a 5th gen fighter, like Azerbaijan, or have so much money that they don't really care about wasting/losing some, like Gulf states. For both of those categories, we are the only choice for a 5th gen fighter without cutting ties with the West altogether and going all in on China.

karakova

Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
You need a robust economy for a robust defense undustry, this starts at being able to finance the project and ends at the well being of the engineers who work on it.
Imagine your salary is eroding every passing day due to high inflation and your skills are highly sought after somewhere else with better economy, the temptation is big to accept an offer. Economy and politics are very relevant in this topic.
Strange that you even ask such a question.
Yes inflation is problem but economy grow...revenues , incomes growth...Turkey is not experiencing high inflation for the first time

Turkish economy can finance much more project...We are still underspending defense

Defense spending for 2024 still under 1.5% GDP

Bogeyman 

Experienced member
Professional
Reactions
61 29,681
Website
twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
You need a robust economy for a robust defense undustry, this starts at being able to finance the project and ends at the well being of the engineers who work on it.
Imagine your salary is eroding every passing day due to high inflation and your skills are highly sought after somewhere else with better economy, the temptation is big to accept an offer. Economy and politics are very relevant in this topic.
Strange that you even ask such a question.
What is really strange is that you are making insinuations about the project that are not based on concrete figures, while the budget allocated for the project is obvious and the total funds allocated for the defense industry are increasing every year. Engineers' preferences concern engineers. This is mostly related to the company's employment policy. By the way, migrating to Europe is not just an economic issue. Sinan Şal from TEI announced in his broadcast that 8 of the 10 engineer friends who left had returned to Turkey. When you are unfamiliar with the issue, I guess it seems normal to make such strange comments.

MADDOG

Contributor
Türkiye Correspondent
Professional
Reactions
31 7,977
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Cyprus
TAI CEO Prof. Dr. Temel Kotil:

"I hope KAAN will fly at the end of this year. We are making a very special effort for it. I visited KAAN when I came to the company this morning, visiting the aircraft has become a habit. It is going well, hopefully we will get to keep our promise by the end of the year.

It passed static tests and load tests. Extra equipment is being placed inside. Landing gears will be installed. There were landing gears before, but this time the airworthy landing gears will be installed. All our efforts are underway to see KAAN in the skies on our 100th anniversary."

Screen Shot 2023-09-27 at 15.55.56.png

-Via SST

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom