Contributor
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
31 4,830
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Considering the thrust power of the aircraft, it may take off from a short distance with half load full thrust. But I think this is not the main challenge, this is probably the least challenging part for engineers. There's the hangaring of the aircraft, the sea conditions, the safe operation between the flight deck and the hangar, the approach speed, the landing and the capture system, there's a whole world of headaches. Let our air force pilots meet their their longed-beloved first, the navy can manage with smaller platforms for now. By the way, speaking of navy pilots:

Navy pilots vs Air force pilots:
One lands with the precision of a surgical operation, while the navy pilot is so confident in the aircraft's structures that 'falls' like a stone on the runway, it doesn't matter if they lands on land or on a ship. lol.
You must watch this

BalkanTurk90

Contributor
Reactions
5 969
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Turkey
NEW video:

Even without afterburners only 300+ meters or so to takeoff. Thus takeoff from modified TCG-ANADOLU is possible with blast deflector, full afterburner assisted by restraining blocks plus ski-jump, landing is no big deal either titanium body can take it.

Exactly like Mig-29K:
Bro this bird is test prototype and without weapons + to avoid big explosion if something gone wrong i bet engeeners put inside fuel just for the test flight .

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,787
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
IMO, Kaan will not be produced in large quantities like the F-16 due to manufacturing and operating costs. IMO, we need another fighter that is suitable for mass production and is cost-effective.

This fighter: 1) capable of controlling drones, i.e. double seated, 2) stealth&navalize, 3) must be single engine.
Don't say that... We need to produce KAAN and keep producing it until we have designed and developed a replacement. We need to retain skills to build KAAN and retain that, and pass it on. we need at least 1 mio flight engineers and technicians in Türkiye.

hawk21

Reactions
3 100
Nation of residence
Malaysia
Nation of origin
Malaysia
Mighty Congratulations to Turkey and everyone in here for the first flight. This thing is a beauty and today is a momentous day in the history not just for the Turkish nation but for our common civilization. And, I'm not exaggerating.

Judging from the takeoff and landing that test pilot was probably so excited he should not have been flying. lol.

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
78 10,762
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Mighty Congratulations to Turkey and everyone in here for the first flight. This thing is a beauty and today is a momentous day in the history not just for the Turkish nation but for our common civilization. And, I'm not exaggerating.

Judging from the takeoff and landing that test pilot was probably so excited he should not have been flying. lol.
Targeted autonomous qualities of the aircraft are so advanced that a pilot is optional. But you know, you have to pass these test phases. lol I believe that KAAN will be the steel wings protecting our common geography from the Mediterranean Sea to the Malay hinterland, and we will see that she fly under every flags of ours.

Heartbang

Experienced member
Reactions
7 3,615
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Kaan will not be produced in large quantities like the F-16 due to manufacturing and operating costs.
The more you make, the cheaper it will be.
So we should embrace the economies of scale like Elon Musk and make sure that this bird
WILL👏OUTSELL👏THE 👏F-35!👏

What a day to be a Turk.
May this handsome plane go into service as smoothly as its first flight. 🥳:love:

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
78 10,762
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
TAI employees are occasionally seen in the video footage of KAAN and Hürjet, ANKAs and the helicopters. People over 45 years of age are really too few to be counted among them. It is clear from the footage that TAI is probably the youngest aerospace company in terms of the average age of both technicians and engineers, while carrying out major projects of this scale. Imagine this generation serving in the organization for 30 years, and the next TAI generation they will raise.

OK, KAAN is very exciting, so are ANKA and Hürjet, also Helicopter division is quietly creating a revolution. But I think what is more exciting than all of this is the corporate identity TAI(also Baykar) has assumed. I know there are people here who come and read the forum from time to time, and I would like to tell them that the subject is not KAAN, it is you. We are proud of you and see you as the heroes of this country.

Agha Sher

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
10 9,114
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Afghanistan
IMO, Kaan will not be produced in large quantities like the F-16 due to manufacturing and operating costs. IMO, we need another fighter that is suitable for mass production and is cost-effective.

This fighter: 1) capable of controlling drones, i.e. double seated, 2) stealth&navalize, 3) must be single engine.

The beauty of domestic production and domestic supply chains is that producing and operating military equipment (incl. KAAN) is technically free. Turkiye is just required to take money from its right pocket and put it in the left pocket.

Fuzuli NL

Experienced member
Germany Correspondent
Reactions
20 8,295
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
I know him to be trustworthy but that's just as big news as KAAN, so I can't wonder if its more of a wish than concrete info
I'm sorry but not a single f**king thing so far and for many years to come, is as big as KAAN's maiden flight!

DBdev

Committed member
Reactions
8 447
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
The beauty of domestic production and domestic supply chains is that producing and operating military equipment (incl. KAAN) is technically free. Turkiye is just required to take money from its right pocket and put it in the left pocket.
Not just 100+ fully Turkish controlled fifth gen stealth KAANS will be free, but Türkiye will EARN tens of billions of dollars at worst and up to hundreds of billions of dollars in the following decades as well. 4,600 F-16s were produced. America does not even sell that to most nations. We have no such restrictions. What nation wouldn't want to have a fighter that can take down even F-35s and F-22s. All we have to do is keep doubling production and keep improving subsystems and stealth faster than America can. Judging by our development speed vs. everyone else's that is highly probable.

hawk21

Reactions
3 100
Nation of residence
Malaysia
Nation of origin
Malaysia

I cannot get over the feeling that this aircraft, as we see it today, has been made possible in large part by the Americans by denying F-35s to Turkey.

Thank you america for doing your part to Make Turkey Great Again !

I believe that, had the F-35 been in service with Turkey, the KAAN would be largely a prestige project today. The design would not have been so ambitious, the development speed would certainly have been significantly slower, and the Turkish government could conceivably at some point get cold feet on the project because the cost of bringing it into service is likely in the range of $20-40 billion (that is my guesstimate, of course).

As it is, denying F-35s to Turkey has been a gigantic blunder by the US.

The KAAN, as a fully domestic heavyweight air superiority stealth fighter, is the first benefit of this move to Turkey.

In a few years, when the Siper Block 2 and Block 3 complete development, we will see the other benefit because I expect that Turkey will want to have a domestic equivalent of the 9M96E2 and the 48N6E3 missiles from the S-400 system which they can now reverse engineer without worry.

Now TEI....get us that engine.

Last edited:

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
78 10,762
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
The work of Turkish engineers, Turkiye's fighter jet Kaan is in the skies!

We congratulate TAI and wish them continued success.

As TRMOTOR, we are also working on Kaan's engine and power systems, and we look forward to seeing Kaan flying with our indigenous and national engine.

We are flying with happiness!

Within the scope of the KAAN Development Project, of which we are a solution partner with our national engineering capability, the first flight was successfully realized today.

(Havelsan is one of the main solution partners of the KAAN program)

Aselsan GM Ahmet Akyol:

Our country is now in a new league in aviation

May the first flight of our National Combat Aircraft KAAN, which met with the Sky Homeland, be beneficial to our nation.

With the capabilities to be gained in technologies such as very low visibility, high radar capabilities and increased situational awareness, which are required for a 5th generation fighter jet, Turkiye will have the infrastructure and technology that few countries in the world possess.

ASELSAN not only took part in all these projects, but also proved its success with the systems used in the first flight.

We will continue to develop our cutting-edge avionics systems to add strength to our steel wings.

I congratulate all our engineers who contributed to the project, especially the TAI team.

Good luck to our nation.

(Aselsan is program partner with the largest workload in the KAAN)

Heartbang

Experienced member
Reactions
7 3,615
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Found this gem under one of the YouTube reuploads of the 1st flight video.
Ekran görüntüsü 2024-02-21 182439.png

The first bomb should be thrown at those who called it a heater core.

CAN_TR

Contributor
Reactions
11 4,974
Nation of residence
Austria
Nation of origin
Turkey
The news about the maiden flight really suprised me, i immediately put work aside and took a long break. I was happy like a child, proud and relieved that everything went well. What a day, what a day...

I want to thank every engineer, technician and of course all other persons involved from the bottom of my heart.

1708529271079.png

boredaf

Contributor
Solutions
Reactions
11 2,770
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
I don't think I've seen so many "guests" in a threat before 😂

I think we are going to have at least enough Kaan to completely replace F-16s in the future, so, around 250-300. But I do like the idea of a single engine naval TF-X, much much more than naval Hürjet. Aircraft carrier is a project for late 2030s - 2040s at best, so we are should have more than enough time to get started on Kaan serial production and design a naval stealth fighter based on its design. Double seater drone commander is an interesting idea as well, could combine beautifully with Anka-3/4 and KE, but I'd be happy with a single seater as well.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom