Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
110 14,683
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
It is true that no eastern plane will be a solution for TuAF. Chinese and Russian planes have so many drawbacks for us that, it is just not worth it.
Our way out is, through our own production of TFX and Hurjet.
I only hope that we have the f404 engines for the prototypes, in hand and that we have secured the supply of these engines for the serial production phase as well. What I would like to know is if we are going to use the standard f404 with 17700lbf thrust or the IN20 that was produced for the Hal Tejas version with 20200lbf? If it is the former, then Hurjet can not go beyond a trainer aircraft. If it is the latter, then we can have a good mini F16 for ourselves.
I would really like one of these so called “defence experts” who interview the likes of I. Demir or T. Kotil, to ask them ;
1. Have we got f404 in hand , and if we have, which version?
2. Have we got insurances from GE that the supply line for engines for Hurjet will not be jeopardised in the future?
3. Where are we with our indigenous engine for TFX? Is RR going to help us out with this engine?

These two programs can not go beyond happy exercises of self satisfaction, if we do not have solid line of engine supply for them. So it is almost as important as the plane itself that we have an engine that will go in to these flying machines.
My only positive note on this is the fact that having been hit with a case like Altay and Firtina and now coming up with Utku and Batu solutions, our guys in SSB are not going to fall for the same mistake twice.
But If only they would enlighten us a bit as well.

Last edited:

Spook

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Turkey
It is true that no eastern plane will be a solution for TuAF. Chinese and Russian planes have so many drawbacks for us that, it is just not worth it.
I only hope that we have the f404 engines for the prototypes, in hand and that we have secured the supply of these engines for the serial production phase as well. What I would like to know is if we are going to use the standard f404 with 17700lbf thrust or the IN20 that was produced for the Hal Tejas version with 20200lbf? If it is the former, then Hurjet can not go beyond a trainer aircraft. If it is the latter, then we can have a good mini F16 for ourselves.
I would really like one of these so called “defence experts” who interview the likes of I. Demir or T. Kotil, to ask them ;
2. Have we got insurances from GE that the supply line for engines for Hurjet will not be jeopardised in the future?
3. Where are we with our indigenous engine for TFX? Is RR going to help us out with this engine?

These two programs can not go beyond happy exercises of self satisfaction, if we do not have solid line of engine supply for them. So it is almost as important as the plane itself that we have an engine that will go in to these flying machines.
My only positive note on this is the fact that having been hit with a case like Altay and Firtina and now coming up with Utku and Batu solutions, our guys in SSB are not going to fall for the same mistake twice.

Hurjet's wind tunnel tests were done with accordance to F404-GE-102. It's the same variant developed for the KAI T-50 program. Koreans manufacture it under license using engine kits provided by GE. Engines built under license would be best scenario for Hurjet I think. We can source some engine parts from Korea.

I don't think insurance from GE can do much in a embargo, hidden or not. Manufacturer insurance would only matter for commercial matters, like if GE fails to provide satisfaction under normal conditions. I guess we have to bet on that trainer jet engine would not be the first thing US embargoes.

I think for an production ready national engine with specs of a modern F110 variant. Most we could do as of right now, I am just speculating. Is concept design phase. Yes, we have a lot of experience from license production, F16 program. But building such engine nationally would require much greater infrastructure built with experience. That's why we will see TEI introducing bigger engines like TF6000 that they have been working on for some time. All of the experience from these projects will lead to the TRMotor project.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,124
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

Politics go hand in hand with technology acquisition. For the Altay if we had gone for development of a domestic engine early on we would have shown our hand meaning we opted to go full independent with the tank. This would have consequences. With the domestic fighter engines the fully domestic strategy is already made known and the engine development is progressed in cadence with the planned serial production of the TFX. If major mishaps do not interfere we will pull this off nicely. We are not normally expected to randomely come across to people who say that they are in single crystal turbine blade development business but I have. We have an ecosystem, now we can.

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
110 14,683
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey

Delivery of 6th f16 that has been structurally updated to extend it’s life to 12000hours, has been completed.
Now next step is, Ozturk modernisation ; Then Aesa radar integration.

1622069107974.jpeg

Spook

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Turkey
Hurjet program is very important for training engineers for MMU. We need many qualified engineers for R&D programs under MMU program. Hurjet program will not be enough. BAE System deal is crucial. It's a 4 year contract. Probably would be extended with a contract for the next phase. We are getting diaspora engineers to work on MMU program. I hope we get good engineers from friendly nations too. Pakistan etc. We should give scholarships to students who have academic potential.

I really want a 4th gen single engine fighter derived from Hurjet. Joint program if possible. Maybe we can work together with South Korea. It should be oriented for export. It will allow to turn first gen national engines to a product that we can export. Ideal for nations who can't afford/want MMU, KF-21. It will allow us to train even more engineers for MMU program too.

98733-8d812a0704833a8a9fa2496a6642ca62.jpg

Cypro

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,790
Nation of residence
Northern Cyprus
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus

Spook

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Turkey
We should do research on converting civilian aircraft to tanker aircraft. Including boom design. Just keep it at the side. When EU or US refuses to sell A330 MRTT, KC-46.

767-300-mmtt-iai_61147.jpg

Inside of the aircraft can be modified for different roles.

Spook

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Turkey
Is that all for just 2x2 MAM-L?

If it's not a time sensitive target, Hurkus-C can use larger munitions like MK81, MK82, with/without guidance kits etc. We are yet to see how well it will perform with the current close air support-recon complex used for COIN operations. Having an versatile manned aircraft like Hurkus-C will greatly increase network-centric capabilities, situational awareness. There is need for cost-effective manned CAS/ISR aircraft.

Kartal1

Experienced member
Lead Moderator
Reactions
79 16,378
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey
Is that all for just 2x2 MAM-L?
If it's not a time sensitive target, Hurkus-C can use larger munitions like MK81, MK82, with/without guidance kits etc. We are yet to see how well it will perform with the current close air support-recon complex used for COIN operations. Having an versatile manned aircraft like Hurkus-C will greatly increase network-centric capabilities, situational awareness. There is need for cost-effective manned CAS/ISR aircraft.
Most probably it will be used for training of JTAC personnel. I personally don't see any other meaningful role for Hurkus-C in the JTAC/CSAR squadron to which it will be delivered.

Spook

Contributor
Reactions
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Turkey
Most probably it will be used for training of JTAC personnel. I personally don't see any other meaningful role for Hurkus-C in the JTAC/CSAR squadron to which it will be delivered.

The aircraft revealed in the military training was Hurkus HYU (Air-Ground Integration) variant. 6 to be delivered. They most likely used Hurkus-Bs that was being built and converted them to HYU variant. It's going to use MAM-L and training munition. It will be used for training like JTAC.

New Hurkus will be updated with more composite materials. We are going to get CAS variant later.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,707
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
I'm just glad that they've begun churning out Hürkus. I hope that we'll see them with domestic engine too not too far into the future. (Preferably next month or so).

1622543040296.png

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom