Reactions
8 2,033
Website
www.twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
The Anatolian eagle or the Middle Eastern eagle does not sound like one of us. These are usually the names and appellations of others. For example, Anatolia does not cover the whole of Turkiye and is of Greek origin, okay, it may have been appropriated by us, but that is the case.

Even the Turk Eagle or TF-23 Wolfish is better than these.

buraktunahan

Reactions
9 366
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Icarus stays as a possible name for TF-X. Steady now..
I know, no one will take me into consideration about the name. But I still want to write.

I would like to suggest a name for our National Combat Aircraft (MMU) in terms of media, international promotion and the impression it will create in the world.

First of all, all our defense industry products have a name. And military names that evoke the impression of bravery, heroism and power in people. For example, Atak, Hürjet, Altay, Batu, Gökbey, Siper, Hisar, Atmaca, Arat etc.
Likewise, there is a similar approach in foreign defense industry products. For example Raptor, Eagle, Typhoon, Rafale, Mirage, Lightning etc. And all these names consist of “one word”.

First of all, if we are going to start crushing our enemies in the minds of our enemies by creating an “image of power” in the minds of our enemies with this aircraft, if we want them to fear our aircraft, the name we will choose should create a strong image in other languages, especially in the "English pronunciation" which is an international language, it should sound good and be easily pronounced at once. (must be short) and whisper power to minds.

At the same time, this name must be "Turkish" and "easy". (Like Eagle, Falcon, Typhoon, Rafale, Lightning etc.)

On the other hand, since we also plan to export this aircraft, it must be a name that can be adopted by the public of the country we sell it to.

Now let's come to my name suggestion...

My suggestion is this:

Referring to the word Turkey, it should first have a "T" at the beginning.

Since the "F" prefix comes from the English fighter, it is now used internationally as an almost universal prefix. I think that the "F" prefix may be left next to the "T" in our aircraft that we are planning to export. So we can't change that. I think it would be better if we didn't even change it. Because in people's minds, with the American hegemony, the "F" prefix became almost like the international prefix of warplanes.

Next to the F should be "23", which is the year the plane first came into existence and also refers to the 100th anniversary of our Republic.

As a Turkish name, I suggest the name "ALPER" (valiant soldier).

So the name I propose is exactly this:

“TF-23 ALPER”

This name, which is quite similar to the pronunciation of the F-22 Raptor, sounds very nice.

buraktunahan

Reactions
9 366
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
TF-23 ALPER is a weak name
Alper has nothing to do with flying
Given the names of other planes and missiles, most of them have nothing to do with flying. (eg Raptor, Eurofighter, Rafale, Lightning, Siper, Hisar etc.)

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
58 7,500
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Given the names of other planes and missiles, most of them have nothing to do with flying. (eg Raptor, Eurofighter, Rafale, Lightning, Siper, Hisar etc.)
Raptor means a bird of prey. Eurofighter is the name of the consortium and EF-2000 is known as the Typhoon, Rafale means wind in French, other two are SAM systems. Naming a fighter plane after birds or weather phenomena is pretty standard. I'm pretty sure that they will call it the Anatolian Eagle, not sure on the nomenclature.

And to add, I did not say that we should name it Icarus, that would be like calling your new cruise ship Titanic... Legend of the Icarus, anyone?

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,146
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
TFX should be named M1 Baba Kartal

Baba means father in Turkish, Arabic, Persian, Hindi, Chinese many African languages and then some. The nations that do not have the word baba in their language know the word from the population that come from those countries that do have this word in their language. Baba is the family leader, in this case the family of Eagles or the wider predatory birds species. Baba is someone to look up to, to respect.

Baba is an exclamation of surprise or amazement equivalent of wow! in Latin.

Kartal means eagle which is the most powerful of the predatory birds.
Turkish name Kartal has two hard consonants in it being "k" and "t" thus has impactful phonetics.

The name Baba Kartal is easy on the tongue of both Turkish people and foreigners because it does not bear any characters that is peculiar to Turkish.

M of M1 comes from the word Muharip meaning warrior and the Turkish code name of TFX i already MMU > Milli Muharip Uçak meaning National Warrior Plane. So M from Muharip is a natural piece that comes to mind for such a name. The number 1 is a good name for a plane that is the number one fighter in the Turkish fighter plane genealogy and also the top plane that holds the number 1 position for power. M1 is also not hard on the tongue, I would say easy on the tongue.

So yeah,

M1 Baba Kartal is loading.

Last edited:

YeşilVatan

Contributor
Reactions
9 1,241
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Don't like the excessive name talk but TF-1 İstiklal / Independence is probably the most fitting name, especially once domestic engines are made.
I think İstiklal should be the class designation for our first true aircraft carrier. Think about it: İstiklal class supercarrier TCG Atatürk.

Regarding TFX, Baba Kartal fits imho.

But this post has a more sinister goal: Petition for the unofficial name!

FENASİ

uçuyorum

Contributor
Reactions
9 1,189
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I think İstiklal should be the class designation for our first true aircraft carrier. Think about it: İstiklal class supercarrier TCG Atatürk.

Regarding TFX, Baba Kartal fits imho.

But this post has a more sinister goal: Petition for the unofficial name!

FENASİ

And sister ship TCG İnönü? :)

YeşilVatan

Contributor
Reactions
9 1,241
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
And sister ship TCG İnönü? :)
More like Timur, Cengiz, Attila, Mete, Osman, Selçuk, Alparslan, Fatih, Yavuz, Kanuni etc.

Don't get me wrong, İnönü was a hero of the fatherland. But he was no mythological character. Certainly not on the level of Halaskar Mareşal Gazi Mustafa Kemal Atatürk.

Heartbang

Experienced member
Reactions
7 3,564
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
The first ship of the Istiklal class supercarrier should be TCG Mete Han.
The tale of our dominance on the land has begun with him, its fitting that our dominance on the seas is to begin with "him".

Merzifonlu

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
24 2,052
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
My suggestion is MMU. Putting names aside, we should actually switch to the military coding system for products. We were even late.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom