Contributor
South Korea Correspondent
Reactions
33 1,924
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
South Korea
As an outsider who speaks Western and East Asian language all these Turkish weapon system names not only for aircrafts or drones are difficult to memorize (pronounciation will always be somewhat botched by non-Turkish speakers).

The X in TFX stands for „experimental“ afaik and the bird will need a name & designation later.

My personal nick name for TFX might be also understood by uninformed bystanders without much knowledge of the program (some members could swear at me for it):

TF-23 Süper Raptor

CAN_TR

Contributor
Reactions
11 4,955
Nation of residence
Austria
Nation of origin
Turkey
Would favor names from Turkic Mythology like TF-23 Kizagan (God of War), Tulpar (Flying Horse), Kuara (God of Thunder), Burkut (Eagle God of the Sun) or my suggestion Kağan (Emperor)

Other suggestion i liked was Alper.

Kartal / Eagle or Anadolu Kartali / Anatolian Eagle are boring one is used as nickname for the F-15 the other one is Turkish Air Force exercise.
"TF-23 Anatolian Eagle participates in the Anatolian Eagle exercise 2030".

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
78 10,702
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
The TF-23 (and nickname Tulpar) is my favorite in the what being discussed. 23 is seems a dedication to the centenary of the republic, and TF is the codification of Turkish Fighter Aircraft.

My second fav, dear Can's suggestion of a Kızagan would also be very appropriate.

Isbara

Reactions
2 104
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Hope we will not have to name it "Niyazi" due to political enviroment in 10 years.

Ripley

Contributor
USA Correspondent
Reactions
12 1,512
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
As an outsider who speaks Western and East Asian language all these Turkish weapon system names not only for aircrafts or drones are difficult to memorize (pronounciation will always be somewhat botched by non-Turkish speakers).

The X in TFX stands for „experimental“ afaik and the bird will need a name & designation later.

My personal nick name for TFX might be also understood by uninformed bystanders without much knowledge of the program (some members could swear at me for it):

TF-23 Süper Raptor
“Pronounciation will always be somewhat botched by non-Turkish speakers”
This is my major concern when thinking of names.
Poor Beyrektirh and Kehnick or Kahnick.
Good luck trying to teach people the exact pronounciation of those brands.

Kedikesenfare

Reactions
1 797
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
As an Elazığlı, I support the name TF-23 wholeheartedly.

However, TF-KKF sounds good to me, too. A cat butchering mouse? Perfect hyperbole.

E

Era_shield

“Pronounciation will always be somewhat botched by non-Turkish speakers”
This is my major concern when thinking of names.
Poor Beyrektirh and Kehnick or Kahnick.
Good luck trying to teach people the exact pronounciation of those brands.
Canik got lucky, the way Americans say it has a good sound and good connotations (like "mechanic"). At first they tried to make them say it like "janik" but it didnt work, which is good because it doesn't sound right to English speakers. Whoever chooses the MMU's name, I hope they consider phonetics of the countries which will be the target market. The name should be Turkish of course but it should sound good and be pronounceable to a non-Turkish speaker too.

No Name

Reactions
5 310
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Afghanistan
Canik got lucky, the way Americans say it has a good sound and good connotations (like "mechanic"). At first they tried to make them say it like "janik" but it didnt work, which is good because it doesn't sound right to English speakers. Whoever chooses the MMU's name, I hope they consider phonetics of the countries which will be the target market. The name should be Turkish of course but it should sound good and be pronounceable to a non-Turkish speaker too.
if you are looking for a name that is both Turkic and sounds good to non-Turkish speakers, then it has to be Alper or Burkut. the word Alper as it sounds like alpha to an English speaker, and the word Burkut is a Turkic word that has already found its way into several different languages.

Turan

Reactions
1 350
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Azerbaijan
I think we should name it TF-31 Yaraq which means "weapon" in old Turkish.
I can understand Yaraq but why "31"?😅

Additionally lf you look at TDK "Yarak" first meaning still means weapon in Turkish. What you use is the second meaning that comes out later.

Pilatino

Reactions
3 663
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Moment of silence for our brothers named Tugay 😔

Or Enes :)

TF23 TULPAR is going to be the name of it. I'm quite sure about it. By this way we can show how deep and old our history is because it's a flying horse's name from our ancient mythology as you know. Foreigners doesn't even know that we have a mythology as a plus and I can hear our komşu's screams while comparing it to their Pegasus.

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,685
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
TF-31 means the first of the three (MMU, Kızılelma, Anka-3).
Kızılelma should be TF-32 and Anka 3 should be TF-33.

Top Bottom