DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
68 8,093
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Could a KAAN equipped with those sensors, send the necessary information to its loyal wingman, which is not equipped with those sensors? So could the loyal wingman of KAAN act as a IIR guided missile carrier platform, only to shoot down BVR missiles?

That is US Air Force's one of the proposed CCA (collaborative combat aircraft) concept. You can get an idea how MUM-T may look like.

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
124 15,091
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Could a KAAN equipped with those sensors, send the necessary information to its loyal wingman, which is not equipped with those sensors? So could the loyal wingman of KAAN act as a IIR guided missile carrier platform, only to shoot down BVR missiles?
That is one of the prerequisite jobs of KAAN in the years to come.
It has to be the distributor of jobs and a conductor/director of various swarms/UCAVs to inflict maximum damage to targets.
Turkish war doctrine for the future is based on UCAVs and drones being managed and directed by a plane like KAAN in the air and a ship, directing ULAQ type unmanned sea platforms in a similar manner.

Only a few days ago the chief engineer of Tusas was explaining how they have been considering and designing to use the back seat of Hurjet as the director and controller of drones.

Last edited:

uçuyorum

Contributor
Reactions
9 1,290
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
That is one of the prerequisite jobs of KAAN in the years to come.
It has to be the distributor of jobs and a conductor/director of various swarms/UCAVs to inflict maximum damage to targets.
Turkish war doctrine for the future is based on UCAVs and drones being managed and directed by a plane like KAAN in the air and a ship, directing ULAQ type unmanned sea platforms in a similar manner.

Only a few days ago the chief engineer of Tusas was explaining how they have been considering and designing to use the back seat of Hurjet as the director and controller of drones.
I also wish they focused on reducing the actual job pilot does to fly the plane so the sole pilot can focus on mission systems rather than trying to maneuver but the vision of air forces don't seem to follow this logic. I also find the actual need for using helmet to direct short range missiles to be weird, when you have a system like das why can't sensors automatically recognize and track the target for instance?

Radonsider

Contributor
Reactions
13 2,607
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Bosnia & Herzegovina
I also wish they focused on reducing the actual job pilot does to fly the plane so the sole pilot can focus on mission systems rather than trying to maneuver but the vision of air forces don't seem to follow this logic. I also find the actual need for using helmet to direct short range missiles to be weird, when you have a system like das why can't sensors automatically recognize and track the target for instance?
they do track them, you dont always have to look to the target

what

Experienced member
Reactions
9 6,158
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey

That is US Air Force's one of the proposed CCA (collaborative combat aircraft) concept. You can get an idea how MUM-T may look like.

Nice concept, modularity is a trend among many defence developments. Hope our people at TAI and Baykar have that in mind too.

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
68 8,093
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Nice concept, modularity is a trend among many defence developments. Hope our people at TAI and Baykar have that in mind too.

Yes, i think this is an important strategy decision to prevail in tomorrow's Warfighting. The reason modularity has started to become critical, is because it allows for mass production at a scale for a cost that were not possible otherwise.

Up until now western air forces (and armed force in general) were kind of operating on the assumption that, if you pack so much technology into a single platform it will be highly survivable and won’t face attrition due to its qualitative edge. But this notion has came more and more under Challenge. It is increasingly clear that Technology cannot replace the mass.

Now even USAF has started to recognise, given the trends in technology development, in next 10-15 years in a full scale peer to peer conflict it could loose its highly touted 5th JSF at an unacceptable rate. Thus, the strategy is to layer its expensive 5th and 6th gen assets with (relatively) cheaply mass produced UAV/UCAVs not only to be a force multiplier, but also to be expandable and take on the attrition.

Last edited:

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
63 7,938
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

Yes, i think this is an important strategy decision to prevail in tomorrow's Warfighting. The reason modularity has started to become critical, is because it allows for mass production at a scale for a cost that were not possible otherwise.

Up until now western air forces (and armed force in general) were kind of operating on the assumption that, if you pack so much technology into a single platform it will be highly survivable and won’t face attrition due to its qualitative edge. But this notion has come more and more under Challenge. It is increasingly clear that Technology cannot replace the mass.

Now even USAF has started to recognise, given the trends in technology development, in next 10-15 years in a full scale peer to peer conflict it could loose its highly touted 5th JSF at an unacceptable rate. Thus, the strategy is to layer its expensive 5th and 6th gen assets with (relatively) cheaply mass produced UAV/UCAVs not only to be a force multiplier, but also to be expandable and take on the attrition.
I'm going to tattoo A T T R I T A B I L I T Y on my arm. Ukraine's invasion showed us. Tech alone doesn't cut it. If we are to have wars in this century, our cutting edge weapons need to be cheap. If an advanced Kızılelma costs 50 million apiece, it's not very different than losing an F-16 in war.

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
124 15,091
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
I'm going to tattoo A T T R I T A B I L I T Y on my arm. Ukraine's invasion showed us. Tech alone doesn't cut it. If we are to have wars in this century, our cutting edge weapons need to be cheap. If an advanced Kızılelma costs 50 million apiece, it's not very different than losing an F-16 in war.
Don’t forget to add the price of the pilot in the case of F16. That is if you can put a price on our pilots.

However I fully agree with you in terms of using easily expendable weapons.
Good examples are:
-MAM-L
-Artillery rockets like TR230 and 122 turned in to precision strike missiles in the form of IHA230 and 122
-Dumb bombs like MK series, turned in to precision guided smart bombs of HGK and KGK

Last edited:

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
63 7,938
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Don’t forget to add the price of the pilot in the case of F16. That is if you can put a price on our pilots.

However I fully agree with you in terms of using easily expendable weapons.
Good examples are:
-MAM-L
-Artillery rockets like TR230 and 122 turned in to precision strike missiles in the form of IHA230 and 122
-Dumb bombs like MK series, turned in to precision guided smart bombs of HGK and KGK
In a war scenario where we lose 100-500 men a day, we are bound to lose some pilots as well, that's why we have CSAR birds. It's not about the inherent value of the human life, plain and simple, they will die.

boredaf

Contributor
Solutions
Reactions
11 3,013
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
In a war scenario where we lose 100-500 men a day, we are bound to lose some pilots as well, that's why we have CSAR birds. It's not about the inherent value of the human life, plain and simple, they will die.
Losing a pilot isn't the same as losing soldiers though, that is a false equivalence.

While loss of life is inevitable, any country that has a semblance of competency in its commanding structure would anything and everything in their power to reduce the risk to their pilots as much as possible. Pilots are much harder to train and losing experienced pilots are much worse than losing a jet.

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
63 7,938
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Losing a pilot isn't the same as losing soldiers though, that is a false equivalence.

While loss of life is inevitable, any country that has a semblance of competency in its commanding structure would anything and everything in their power to reduce the risk to their pilots as much as possible. Pilots are much harder to train and losing experienced pilots are much worse than losing a jet.
We lost what, 20 to 30 percent of our flyers in a year in 2016? Yes, every lost pilot is a monumental loss in experience as well as time and money in the drain. No one doubts that.

We can't replace the aircraft we lose. In a time of war, we will lose pilots with their aircraft. Point of contention is not that pilots are expendable. It's that our main line ucavs are just as valuable as our fighter jets and we can't see them as easily replaceable. How many Akıncıs do we have? 15?

Quasar

Contributor
The Post Deleter
Reactions
34 2,618
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
What we can except not only from KE but also from ANKA 3, Akıncı, Aksungur and TB 3 is the emergence and even the impementation of the concept of Unmanned wingmans for Unmanned vehicle, for now we call them Kemakeş, Şimşek II, Jemsah…. Clearly the distinctions between cruise missiles, loitering munition and UAvs are in some cases almost not existing.

We are witnessing the emergence of not only homogeneous but Heterogeneous swarms as well i.e micro networks consisting of UAVs and UAVs + USVs with differing sizes and roles.

Unlike relativly simpler tasks of reconnaissance or CAS more complex roles like SEAD and ASW… seems to require micro networks slaved to KAAN (and poteinially to Hürjet) and third party manned platform.

Mass produced low thec platforms and heavly thec invested platforms are not two compiting approaches but rather they are complementary.

Last edited:

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
24 19,080
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
We lost what, 20 to 30 percent of our flyers in a year in 2016? Yes, every lost pilot is a monumental loss in experience as well as time and money in the drain. No one doubts that.

We can't replace the aircraft we lose. In a time of war, we will lose pilots with their aircraft. Point of contention is not that pilots are expendable. It's that our main line ucavs are just as valuable as our fighter jets and we can't see them as easily replaceable. How many Akıncıs do we have? 15?
Having too many could be a detriment too. I was thinking we should have 1000 TB2, Anka, Aksungur etc. in our inventory (yeah I love overkill).

But it's better to spread it out and build according to need, while having backups.

I don't know what the criteria for backup is, but I want the enemy to know that we are not in any problem if they shoot down 20-40 ucavs. Psychological pressure of having exess units would be just another wepaon we can use.

Thus it's important that we are not relying on foreign suppliers for our ucavs. And those countries who're part of the supply chain are reliable. imo Azerbaycan, Pakistan, BD, Indonesia fits that description.

I think the carrier from Starcraft is a good depiction of what we can expect :)
1702636463439.png

Ripley

Contributor
USA Correspondent
Reactions
12 1,512
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
The recent posts beautifully showed that neither state of art machines or mass quantities are good enough alone.
The war in Ukraine showed that a collaboration of quality (Western mentality) and quantity (Eastern mentality) is needed.
I like to add another factor, or a restrain. Time!
Your high tech assets should be readily available at any given time to concert any military operation, in real time and real 3D battlefield concept and quickly too. If you can’t do it quickly it’s doubtful that you’ll replace the lost equipment quick enough and drag on a conflict that you can’t afford. Time is essential.

Fuzuli NL

Experienced member
Germany Correspondent
Reactions
22 8,482
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Any weapon is deemed useless without proper and timely logistics, replenishments, and maintenance.

Heartbang

Experienced member
Reactions
8 3,783
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I think the carrier from Starcraft is a good depiction of what we can expect :)
1702636463439.png
That is a stupid idea. A well-timed attack on that carrier platform wipes out all those aircraft with the effort of a single strike.

You gotta spread out the platforms.

Spitfire9

Reactions
8 479
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
United Kingdom
US-Sweden defence agreement has been signed. Whether Turkiye accepts or refuses Swedish accession to NATO will be diminished in importance, I think. That may impair prospects of the US Congress approving F-16 supplies to Turkiye.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 18,283
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
US-Sweden defence agreement has been signed. Whether Turkiye accepts or refuses Swedish accession to NATO will be diminished in importance, I think. That may impair prospects of the US Congress approving F-16 supplies to Turkiye.

Lol its cooperation still not giving them nato access.

As Turkiye and Hungary said no.

Spitfire9

Reactions
8 479
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
United Kingdom
Lol its cooperation still not giving them nato access.

As Turkiye and Hungary said no.
Yes, Turkiye and Hungary are a problem for NATO. Is this US-Sweden defence accord an effective workaround to mitigate the problem?

I am interested in the 5G projects of various countries. TuAF needs fighters. KAAN needs F110 engines. Given that the chances of F-16 or Eurofighter being cleared for export look extremely poor, how careful does the Turkish government need to be with its policies to avoid a deterioration in relations with the US to the point where F110 supply is refused, too? Perhaps a multi-year delay in KAAN being delivered would be a price Erdogan would be prepared to pay.

Follow us on social media

Latest posts

Top Bottom