Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
86 10,865
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I wonder if this 20b$ package also includes platforms for other Air Force needs such as logistics, aerial refueling or AEW&C. While the window of opportunity(I am still not sure about btw) is open, the option identified at the beginning of the Peace Eagle program could be filled. Or could there be a possibility of large number of C-130 procurement, which is we previously saw many rumours about for other countries' C-130s. I mean, the last platform procurement agreement with the US in meaningful size. Whatever can be taken, and close the book.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
7 7,215
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
The deal in question as it is disclosed only covers stuff we can already make in-house. I would only buy stuff for under 5bn which primarily includes engines and other stuff that we can not make in a short time and stuff we need only a few of.

Khagan1923

Contributor
Reactions
12 3,884
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
I wonder if this 20b$ package also includes platforms for other Air Force needs such as logistics, aerial refueling or AEW&C. While the window of opportunity(I am still not sure about btw) is open, the option identified at the beginning of the Peace Eagle program could be filled. Or could there be a possibility of large number of C-130 procurement, which is we previously saw many rumours about for other countries' C-130s. I mean, the last platform procurement agreement with the US in meaningful size. Whatever can be taken, and close the book.
We will see once the notification actually comes but I touched on this once or twice that even if you include the missiles and bombs in the amount never reaches 20B$.

I think the number was around 10-11B$. So still interested to see where the remaining 9-10B$ come from.

I think if any other aircraft was included we would have heard about it by now.

Gotta wait and see.

Khagan1923

Contributor
Reactions
12 3,884
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Close call by a C-160 Gören, Reportedly landed with minimal damage to plane and no injury to pilots. Great effort.

How many users beside us still actively use the C-160? Germany itself I believe retired all of them or is about to. Any other one?
We should have taken up that deal Embrear offered us for the C390 years ago. Could have an Transporter to replace the C-160 and aging C-130 with an in-house solution. And even took a part in the exports of the aircraft to third countries.

But isn't that the tale of our time. Us being offered a good deal and rejecting it.

Now we most likely can't even buy any A400M or C-130 due to sanctions.

Agha Sher

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
10 9,143
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Afghanistan
Shouldn't Turkiye go for Y-20 as a heavy airlifter? Much more capable than A400M and I think China would be willing to supply.

IMO, Turkiye should under no circumstances allow this 20bn USD robbery. Turkiye's close enemies (Greece, Israel) are both getting F-35. F-16V is going to be useless.

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
61 7,679
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
How many users beside us still actively use the C-160?
I think only Turkey still uses them. And there are only one or two in the service, Gören here is a special one. They were pulled from regular cargo roles few years back.

Kartal1

Experienced member
Lead Moderator
Reactions
81 16,818
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey
Extreme professionalism by the pilots and a good luck. It's good that the situation ended without serious damage.

They had to be put out of service long ago. Unfortunately we have a serious gap when it comes to cargo aircraft. We need additional heavy lifters, we need replacement for some of our lighter cargo aircraft and new tankers. Nobody is even talking about this.

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
61 7,679
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Aircraft and AF300 under it is a goner.

Pity, she was a veteran of Cyprus. Per Levent Başara, she was one of the 7 C-160s on July 20 dropping paratroopers. Hopefully they turn her into a museum. She earned this much, bringing her crew safely down for a one last time.

Bogeyman 

Experienced member
Professional
Reactions
61 29,710
Website
twitter.com
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
61 7,679
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
"On July 20, 1974, in the first sortie to Cyprus, aircraft number 036 was the column leader. Its commander was retired pilot general Safter Necioğlu, then a brigadier general. In the 2nd sortie, this aircraft was wounded by a 12.7mm turret and became a Cyprus veteran. I hope it ends up in a museum."

Tornadoss

Contributor
Reactions
4 2,536
Nation of residence
Czechia
Nation of origin
Turkey
The project that laid the foundations of the Hava SOJ project was the MILKAR 2U project. The aircraft with tail number 69-036 that we saw in the 2019 Anatolian Eagle Exercise is one of the two C-160Ds equipped with the MILKAR 2U RF Jamming System. The aircraft, which blinds enemy radars thanks to the equipment inside, forms the basis of the Air SOJ project. C-160 Milkar 2U aircraft increased the security of our air elements by blinding the air defense systems of the Syrian Air Defense Forces in the Spring Shield Operation and played an important role in destroying the Pantsir air defense system of the Syrian Air Defense Forces.

So probably it will affect some of the capability of the Airforce till Havasoj is delivered.

Glad that pilots are not harmed. However a sad moment for the bird.

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
61 7,679
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

So probably it will affect some of the capability of the Airforce till Havasoj is delivered.

Glad that pilots are not harmed. However a sad moment for the bird.
Oh shit, i hadn't noticed the radome on top. 036 was indeed one of the Milkar birds. This is very bad news for our miniscule airborne EW capability.

0148437.jpg

Fatman17

Committed member
Reactions
9 534
Nation of residence
Pakistan
Nation of origin
Pakistan
Turkey will be spending 20 billion dollars on 40 new F-16 Block70 and 79 upgrade kits for existing Block-50/52 .
Thats alot of money.
20240125_203008.jpg

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
22 18,842
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
I hope not. I trust the senate and house to block and Trump to thorougly screw the agenda up even more.

I want the bloody domestic engine to be finished so we can make pur jet with own engine. It’s fucking annoying to read these news

Rooxbar

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
41 1,488
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
I hope not. I trust the senate and house to block and Trump to thorougly screw the agenda up even more.

I want the bloody domestic engine to be finished so we can make pur jet with own engine. It’s fucking annoying to read these news
My hopes are in the same lines; hopefully we see a parallel to what happened in second Annan plan where our stupidity almost cost us gravely, only to be retaliated with a counter-stupidity from the other side that rescued us. U.S. senate might be led to believe they are hurting us by blocking the sale, but it will be a blessing in disguise. Our indigenous programs will be sped up, they will employ more and reach results faster. We can weather any storms coming our way in the next 5-6 years with what we have; we also don't need to create any storms, saving the right to a reaction to belligerent moves later, when we have the force we need. History is patient.

Last edited:
Top Bottom