TR Turkish Air Forces|News & Discussion

Pilatino

Reactions
3 663
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
This one totally flew under the radar. Although nothing is known yet, it's a huge undertaking and will become the backbone of our networked warfare concept on land, air and sea. Biggest news of IDEF 23 for me so far.

After all that digitalization to the Russian jets and other statements from authorities it seems

T-Link is loading.
U
R
A
N
🐺 We'll start building Turkic States' and some latin + African countries' air force at the end.

Cabatli_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
80 45,485
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
About domestic AEWC aircrafts from technical aspect, I do not think that there is any deficiency in terms of radar and software tech. We will have some technical issues to solve in order to integrate a GAN AESA radar into an aircraft fuselage without disturbing the aerodynamic caracteristics of airliner. For this issues, Currently ongoing Hava-SOJ project will serve as a test-bed. Then, The 60-80 seat passenger aircraft project declared by Mr Kotil will most likely bear fruit in the 2030s. Studying the feasibility of an aircraft of this class/seat actually points to a very clever strategy for future.
When the examples in the world are examined, SAAB Erieye AEWC aircraft Saab2000 was developed on a 60seat passenger aircraft. Turboprop ATR-72-600 MPA aircraft has a volume of 70/78 seats. Development of a 60-80 seat passenger aircraft will automatically bring forward domestic AEWC and MPA projects in early 2030s and feasibility studies of domestic airliner program will enforce us to achieve these goals.

Quasar

Contributor
The Post Deleter
Reactions
34 2,558
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
About domestic AEWC aircrafts from technical aspect, I do not think that there is any deficiency in terms of radar and software tech. We will have some technical issues to solve in order to integrate a GAN AESA radar into an aircraft fuselage without disturbing the aerodynamic caracteristics of airliner. For this issues, Currently ongoing Hava-SOJ project will serve as a test-bed. Then, The 60-80 seat passenger aircraft project declared by Mr Kotil will most likely bear fruit in the 2030s. Studying the feasibility of an aircraft of this class/seat actually points to a very clever strategy for future.
When the examples in the world are examined, SAAB Erieye AEWC aircraft Saab2000 was developed on a 60seat passenger aircraft. Turboprop ATR-72-600 MPA aircraft has a volume of 70/78 seats. Development of a 60-80 seat passenger aircraft will automatically bring forward domestic AEWC and MPA projects in early 2030s and feasibility studies of domestic airliner program will enforce us to achieve these goals.
as you stated A local 60 seat passenger aircraft may simply opens the door for;

-domestic AEWC
-domestic Maritime patrol and reconnaissance aircraft
-domestic mid size tanker

Khagan1923

Contributor
Reactions
12 3,859
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey

"Offer from Airbus: Türkiye could become the first customer for the A330 Neo Tanker."

Taking into account what was said by the President it looks like there is a good possibility we will see a order for A330 Neo MRTT + A400M Transport (Taking over the cancelled order from Spain on a discount maybe?) sooner than later. The current MRTT is based on the A330-200.

Heartbang

Experienced member
Reactions
7 3,571
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

"Offer from Airbus: Türkiye could become the first customer for the A330 Neo Tanker."

Taking into account what was said by the President it looks like there is a good possibility we will see a order for A330 Neo MRTT + A400M Transport (Taking over the cancelled order from Spain on a discount maybe?) sooner than later. The current MRTT is based on the A330-200.
As long as its not KC-46 Pegasus, I'm game. The AROS system on those planes is defective AF.

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,685
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

This is a good move A330 Neo MRTT can be maintained by THY Technic and TEI, A400M can be maintained by TEI and airforce, and airforce facilities for A400M can even modify the plane.

Khagan1923

Contributor
Reactions
12 3,859
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
As long as its not KC-46 Pegasus, I'm game. The AROS system on those planes is defective AF.

Don't think the Air Force is interested in the KC-46. It is plagued with problems to the point the USAF has to ground the Aircrafts repeatedly. Also they cost more as well as they would need to get approval from congress for the sale and we know how that goes.

They will most likely go for a combo package with MRTT+A400M from Airbus.

Heartbang

Experienced member
Reactions
7 3,571
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Don't think the Air Force is interested in the KC-46. It is plagued with problems to the point the USAF has to ground the Aircrafts repeatedly. Also they cost more as well as they would need to get approval from congress for the sale and we know how that goes.

My point exactly. Although I think we should invest in an indigenous cargo/tanker/AEWC/passenger aircraft with stealth capabilities in the long term.
Something similar to the US KC-Z program:
advanced-tanker-2.jpg

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
78 10,702
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

While the window of opportunity is open, I wish that procurement narrow body aircrafts for long-range MPA and AEW-C for use in domestic projects will be planned in parrallel, if these the procurement of A330 MRTT tanker aircraft and additional A400M turboprop military transport aircrafts realized.

BalkanTurk90

Contributor
Reactions
5 968
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Turkey

Very great news if orders comes .
10 tanker + 20 A400M will be great .

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
59 7,509
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
There was plan to transfer THY A330s to TurAF. I guess this plan is scrapped.
I think there never was a plan and it was nothing more than a product of a brainstorm session. Converting these aircraft and getting them certified after is hard work.

I'm not as pessimist about KC-46. They finally did solve most of the kinks after more than a decade, finally. Unless we turn a new page with France, MRTT sale might be just as hard as a theoretical Rafale sale as well. KC-46 on the other hand, would be easier to transfer to, much similar to what we've been using for 30 years.

If it was up to me, I'd put my chips on the cargo aircraft first. KC-135s are newly modernized, and we are not expanding the air wings any time soon.

AWP

Contributor
Reactions
4 1,403
Nation of residence
Canada
Nation of origin
Palestine

This week , Airbus won a contract to supply the Royal Canadian Air Force with 4 new A330 MRTT + the conversion of 5 old A330 ( not sure if it’s from the Air Canada )

The cost is 3.1B

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
78 10,702
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Spain's remaining 13 A400m were scheduled for delivery from 2025 onwards. I'm not sure at what stage the negotiations with Airbus are, if this procurement has been canceled completely or if negotiations are ongoing. However, if Spain does not want to buy these aircrafts, there may be an advantage of early delivery for us. Moreover, as this type of agreement would create a solution between Spain and Airbus, we can use this acquisition as leverage for other potential collaborations.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom