DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
65 7,610
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
By way of comparison, when Turkiye joined the JSF project, there was talk in 2000s that it would spend $14-18 billion on aircraft procurement, while in 2017, the then defense minister announced in his presentation to parliament that the total amount to be spent for 100 aircraft would be $25 billion.

Tbh, paying 25 billions for 100 F-35 (with full package) is way more worth it than paying 20 billions for 40 F16 and 79 upgrade kit. (With full package)

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
86 10,843
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Tbh, paying 25 billions for 100 F-35 (with full package) is way more worth it than paying 20 billions for 40 F16 and 79 upgrade kit. (With full package)
As I wrote above, the only explanation I can think of is that while procuring these aircrafts, we also want to fill the maintenance, non-localized spare materials and ammunition depots to the brim, for everything that has been in supply problems in recent years or whose stock levels need secure for some future developments that we don't yet know about. Not just 40+70 but for whole F-16 fleet and plus, engine needs for first blocks national aircrafts.

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
61 7,670
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
20bn figure also includes thousands of AA and AG munitions as well.

Chocopie

Contributor
South Korea Correspondent
Reactions
33 1,953
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
South Korea
Taiwan paid $4.1 billion in 2017 for upgrade of 141 F-16 A/B Block 20 to V-standard (assembly done locally).

$8 billion in 2019 for 66 brand new F-16V Block 70 starting delayed delivery in 2024.

$20 billion? Even with missiles, spare engines and parts the total sum is insanely high.

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
86 10,843
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
20bn figure also includes thousands of AA and AG munitions as well.
Around 900 air-to-air ammunition is rumored, but let's say with an exaggerated estimate that the supply of around 3000 air-air, air-ground and various types of payloads is planned, and let's even assume 1.5x engine supply, but I still couldn't get out of the business for 40 aircraft and upgrade kits. For little over 20 billion dollars, TAI and its partners can fully develop KAAN, complete its tests and deliver 50 to the air force within 7-10 years.

Sanchez

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
61 7,670
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
For little over 20 billion dollars, TAI and its partners can fully develop KAAN, complete its tests and deliver 50 to the air force within 7-10 years.
If US gives us the engines to work on the prototypes, that is. I don't think so, but hopefully they are part of the deal. This is one of the costs of being a world leading air force, that you play nice with the top dog. Action, reaction. Maybe they will even invite us to Red Flag again :)

TR_123456

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
If US gives us the engines to work on the prototypes, that is. I don't think so, but hopefully they are part of the deal. This is one of the costs of being a world leading air force, that you play nice with the top dog. Action, reaction. Maybe they will even invite us to Red Flag again :)
You see the bigger picture. (y) (y) (y)

Strong AI

Contributor
Reactions
21 2,326
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
YES Türkiye should have gone for F-35 and 20 bn looks like a huge rip off
BUT imo the Viper modernization is enough for Türkiye's region and i think that greece will not have a big advantage with the F-35,
because afaik their farthest air base is under 500 km away from Türkiye and before they get a meaningful number of F-35,
KAAN Block 1 could be ready.
This is my zügürt tesellisi. (cold comfort)

Last edited:

DBdev

Committed member
Reactions
8 463
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

"The sale "is larger than expected" and includes 40 F-16 fighters and modernization kits for 79 of the warplanes already in Ankara's possession, the Wall Street Journal newspaper reported, citing anonymous officials familiar with the matter.

"Ankara requested the F-16s and modernization kits in October 2021 in what was previously estimated to cost $6 billion."

------
So; A few hundred silly ammunition raised package price from $6 billion to $20?

More likely they are screwing us the same way they are screwing oil trillionaire Arab nations. 3x the friendly nation price just because. Take it or leave it. We should have left it. F-16 is now nothing but a 150 million per plane coffin against F-35s that all our enemies have in spades.

Nutuk

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
8 3,544
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
20bln doesn't make sense

Even if the 900 AA missiles cost 3mln / piece it would make less than 3bln

As usual the mentioned amount is far above the real value, kind of masking the real sales

BalkanTurk90

Contributor
Reactions
5 971
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Turkey
With 20 billion better build 40 i class frigates and all mediterrean became Turkiye lake . 🤦‍♂️ i hope Turkiye dont accept not more than 5 billion ,we need money for other weapons

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 18,129
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
20 billion!!!

Get Fcked!!!!

They should give us the F35A and the F35B along with the F16V so we dont feel ripped off.

Motherfckers!!

They are taking the piss out of us.

Cenkcnk

Committed member
Reactions
1 385
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Well.. that’s not very good for Kaan and Hurjet. Probably their budget will be cut because of this debt. They should add f110 engines for this procurement also

boredaf

Contributor
Solutions
Reactions
11 2,833
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
That deal better include options for further procurement they haven't mentioned in this letter, or it is an absurd amount for what we are getting. Even the most expensive munitions wouldn't add up with the upgrade kits and jets we're getting, not even close.

I firmly believe we need to get *some* jets before Kaan is ready and available to the airforce to make up for our aging fleet (and to use further down the line just as every other country is still getting 4th gen planes when 5th gen isn't necessary) but not at this cost ffs. I can't believe they are willing to get bent over like this, again, fucking shame on the government.

uçuyorum

Contributor
Reactions
9 1,219
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Remember when we were talking about our 1.4 Billion for F35 back? This is lockheed asking for its F35 losses basically.

A silver lining would be if they allow us to produce the F16 and F110 here.

S.Project

Reactions
1 2
Nation of residence
France
Nation of origin
Turkey
-A block 70 modernization kit costs $11 million
-AIM 120 costs $2 million
-F16 block 70 costs 60 million dollars
-MK84 with jdam kit 300,000 dollars

-79 kit for 868 million
-40 F16 block 70 for 2.4 billion
-900 AIM 120 1.8 billion
-900 jdam for 270 million

The total order should not exceed 5 billion.
Let's add an extra 2 billion for maintenance parts

boredaf

Contributor
Solutions
Reactions
11 2,833
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
A silver lining would be if they allow us to produce the F16 and F110 here.
They are going to have to allow that, not because they love us but because Lockheed Martin needs more production line for F-16V and Tusaş is one of the most capable ones on the planet. I bet they are not only going to produce ours but also other orders for them as well once the line is set up.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom