Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
112 14,718
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
I have a problem with the tail rotor,it looks weak and fragile.
Why dont they use a Fenestron(fantail)?
@Cabatli_53 @Test7 @Spook @TheInsider @Yasar @Anmdt and others.
It all depends on what you expect from your design, what your priorities are.
If you look at the main disadvantages of a fenestron:
  • Greater weight, therefore greater power requirement and more air resistance brought by the enclosed structure
  • Higher cost to construct.
  • More power is needed during the hover phase
To be less noisy during flight, against above disadvantages; I wouldn’t like to trade.
About the safety to people around fenestron ; I wouldn’t care in a military killing machine.
These birds are not going to be operating too much at altitude with all the man pads and short range AD systems around nowadays. They will be behind geographic barriers hiding, even whilst flying towards a target, they will be at low level away from enemy radars.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,157
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
An open rotor is more efficient.
The model of the helicopter may be faulty and not properly dimensioned.

Kartal1

Experienced member
Lead Moderator
Reactions
81 16,475
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey
It will be good if they provide assistance for the development of TS-3000.

Saithan

Experienced member
Denmark Correspondent
Reactions
21 18,738
Nation of residence
Denmark
Nation of origin
Turkey
Better to develop local TS meanwhile, I can't really expect to rely on Ukraine which anytime may turn towards the west and join the herd of embargoers.
Didn't Motor Sich establish a Turkish company in Turkey together with another Turkish Defence Company (Baykar). According to my memory the blueprints of some engines should also have been moved to Turkey to ensure that "western" sanctioning couldn't prevent any engine production transfer.

After seeing the tweet on TV3-117 with western components I am a bit nervous that we'll get stuck on those parts.

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,685
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
It will be good if they provide assistance for the development of TS-3000.
Western turbines and Soviet turbines are very different. Ukraine has little to offer in terms of TS-3000 development. I don't think we need any assistance from anyone after developing TS-1400.

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,685
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Didn't Motor Sich establish a Turkish company in Turkey together with another Turkish Defence Company (Baykar). According to my memory the blueprints of some engines should also have been moved to Turkey to ensure that "western" sanctioning couldn't prevent any engine production transfer.

After seeing the tweet on TV3-117 with western components I am a bit nervous that we'll get stuck on those parts.
The rights of the AL-450T(T for Turkish version) engines belong to Blacksea Shield.

Philips

Reactions
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Netherlands
Western turbines and Soviet turbines are very different. Ukraine has little to offer in terms of TS-3000 development. I don't think we need any assistance from anyone after developing TS-1400.
Turkey has mastered two of the most critical components of a turbine engine, the combustion chamber and HP turbine blades. Something tells me this feat led to GE to allow TEI to produce the combustion chamber for the T700-TEI-701D, something unprecedented in the world:

Hot spot parts such as high-cycle combustion chamber (combustor) during the lifetime of the engine will be manufactured by TEI in Turkey for the first time. https://tei.com.tr/en/projects/ait-mro/t700-tei-701d-2584

The major thing that needs improvement is the use of materials to make the engine lighter. TEI uses materials that are heavier but easier to get in the case of embargoes. This makes the TS1400 weigh 30kg heavier than the CTS-800-4A. A TS3000 will weigh almost 400kg if non lighter materials are used. Unacceptable, since the Ukrainian engine weighs 300kg at 2500hp. TEI/Turkey needs to somehow get the lighter materials in-house.

Last edited:

Nutuk

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
8 3,535
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
Not really!

Turbines are pretty much the same, just the approach is different.

While western engine makers prioritize durability, emission, efficiency, safety etc. (hence why Western engines are much more expensive)

Russian engine makers looked more at practical and cheaper production ways, else these engines are not that much different

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,685
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

TS-3000 will produce more power. As the name suggests it is in the 3000 shp (take-off power) class. TS-1400 produces over 1400 shp take-off power with a ratio of 8.54shp/kg which means it weighs ~164kg. It indeed shies away from using the exotic alloys because of the embargo threat but the weight of the engine is successfully kept in check by using widespread 3D additive manufacturing. It will be the same for TS-3000. At the current ratio of 8.54shp/kg, we can expect TS-3000 to weigh ~350kg but I expect an even lower weight as TS-1400 is the first turboshaft engine development project of TEI. I think we can hit a ratio of 9 shp/kg with TS-3000 which will put it around 335kg.

VK-2500 295kg 2400shp take-off power(8.13shp/kg)

TV3-117VMA-SBM1V Series 5 335kg 2800hp take-off power.(8.35shp/kg)

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,685
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Not really!

Turbines are pretty much the same, just the approach is different.

While western engine makers prioritize durability, emission, efficiency, safety etc. (hence why Western engines are much more expensive)

Russian engine makers looked more at practical and cheaper production ways, else these engines are not that much different
False. Western engines use single crystal turbine blades. Soviet tech is different they manufacture turbine blades differently. This is why they are not durable and their overall performance is worse than their western counterparts. On the good side, they are cheaper and easier to produce. If you master the production of western single-crystal switching to the production of soviet turbine blades takes nearly a similar effort. So even if Ukraine gives us the blueprints for their engines we need metallurgic expertise(this is gained via hard work even when you are getting it through ToT) and specialized machinery to produce soviet turbine blades.

Last edited:

Nutuk

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
8 3,535
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
That's the same bro.

The turbine technique is basically the same with durability differences

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,685
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I explained in detail why they are not the same. Brayton cycle is the same that is it. That is why China is having real difficulty switching Soviet to western single crystal turbine blades. For example, Russian RD-33 and AL-31 use directionally solidified turbine blades while Turkish TS-1400 uses single crystal turbine blades.

Further read on turbine blades.

Last edited:

Nutuk

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
8 3,535
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
single crystal is newer technique, that's all

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
112 14,718
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Actually, the Russian turbine blade manufacturing is way behind it’s western counterparts. They still use super alloys in the manufacture of their engine blades. Pls see below.
As can be seen, the RD33 uses super alloys in the blades. Their life span is much shorter and need maintenance more often.
They are now working on producing higher life cycle blades with additive technologies. This is still in experimental stages. But they are closing the gap.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 18,010
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
Actually, the Russian turbine blade manufacturing is way behind it’s western counterparts. They still use super alloys in the manufacture of their engine blades. Pls see below.
As can be seen, the RD33 uses super alloys in the blades. Their life span is much shorter and need maintenance more often.
They are now working on producing higher life cycle blades with additive technologies. This is still in experimental stages. But they are closing the gap.

Has Russian Technology ever caught up to the West??

It seems in the cold war from the 1950s to the 1970s that they were able to keep parity in technology but once the 1980s hit the Russians began to fall behind which can explain why they lost the Cold War.

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
112 14,718
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Has Russian Technology ever caught up to the West??

It seems in the cold war from the 1950s to the 1970s that they were able to keep parity in technology but once the 1980s hit the Russians began to fall behind which can explain why they lost the Cold War.
Actually I don’t think that they ever caught up with the West. There is a saying ; There is more than one way to skin a cat. Russians/Soviets made practical machines instead of high tech elaborate machines, that served their purpose. When US spent millions of dollars to perfect a ballpoint pen that writes in space, Russians used a pencil. But with the emergence of computer era and high tech becoming more of a game changer, they really fell behind. They realised that the old and antiquated machine park that needed replacing, was going to bankrupt them. (Look what it took for the West Germans to bring East to their standard) . If it weren’t for their natural resources and their educated population, they would have become a pre industrialised nation after the break up of Soviets.

Ryder

Experienced member
Reactions
5 18,010
Nation of residence
Australia
Nation of origin
Turkey
Actually I don’t think that they ever caught up with the West. There is a saying ; There is more than one way to skin a cat. Russians/Soviets made practical machines instead of high tech elaborate machines, that served their purpose. When US spent millions of dollars to perfect a ballpoint pen that writes in space, Russians used a pencil. But with the emergence of computer era and high tech becoming more of a game changer, they really fell behind. They realised that the old and antiquated machine park that needed replacing, was going to bankrupt them. (Look what it took for the West Germans to bring East to their standard) . If it weren’t for their natural resources and their educated population, they would have become a pre industrialised nation after the break up of Soviets.

Also build reliable and cheap stuff.

I watched a video on how the Soviets failed in going to the moon due to their communist political system and bureaucracy.

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom