Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
112 14,718
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Huh. That's nice of them. Is it any good though?
If it weren’t any good Danish Navy, Italian Navy, Norwegian Navy, Japanese Navy, Canadian Navy and Royal Navy wouldn’t be using them.
It is at home whether it be Mediterranean or Baltic or North Atlantic or Pacific.
It has 3 x 2000HP RR engines powering it.
Until our 10 ton multi purpose navalised helicopters are ready, these can fulfil the duties of a Seahawk.
Only drawback would be having to maintain a new tech helicopter and new engines.

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
78 10,699
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
AW101 is extremely flexible and can solve many needs with a single platform.

1280px-Royal_Navy_Merlin_HM2_Crowsnest_ASaC.jpg

1280px-EH101-112ASuW.jpg

Cypro

Contributor
Reactions
2 1,790
Nation of residence
Northern Cyprus
Nation of origin
Northern Cyprus
I really like these helicopters, very finely built, versatile and strong, it could be a nice asset on TCG Anadolu, and best replacement for aging non-marinized Cougars, higher capacity than blackhawks but quite the same payload for other tasks. Only thing with this could be logistics, why would you create another logistic, maintenance infrastructure for another helicopter, TAI is already making a 10-ton helicopter, and blackhawks already widely used. I see very little chance for Aw101, but if it is required and urgent, definitely the best non american candidate.

Fairon

Reactions
6 885
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

Lol. Our quiteness about helicopter acquisition for Anadolu made Italians come to us for offer. They are like "You guys want to use helicopters on this ship right? I mean we have very capable helicopters just for this. We waited for tender but nothing came about so we just want to check"(This is an imaginative dialog)

:D

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
78 10,699
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
If they can provide 18/20 AW101s in different configurations(ASW, airborne early warning, amphibious support etc) within 2 years with an urgent supply plan, there is no need for a tender.

Pilatino

Reactions
3 663
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
If they can provide 18/20 AW101s in different configurations(ASW, airborne early warning, amphibious support etc) within 2 years with an urgent supply plan, there is no need for a tender.
I think we're planning to do our own.

Ecderha

Experienced member
Reactions
4 7,787
Nation of residence
Bulgaria
Nation of origin
Turkey
If it weren’t any good Danish Navy, Italian Navy, Norwegian Navy, Japanese Navy, Canadian Navy and Royal Navy wouldn’t be using them.
It is at home whether it be Mediterranean or Baltic or North Atlantic or Pacific.
It has 3 x 2000HP RR engines powering it.
Until our 10 ton multi purpose navalised helicopters are ready, these can fulfil the duties of a Seahawk.
Only drawback would be having to maintain a new tech helicopter and new engines.

I will say following. We should NOT talking about is it heli good or bad.
Main thing remain it is not Turkiye platform. It can NOT be reconfigured. It can NOT be upgraded when Turkiye need it and Mostly if Turkiye need emergency change/ upgrade according to enemy threat.

So thank you, but NO.
Turkiye HAVE OWN helis. Which Turkiye CAN update,reconfigure, Fix........................etc. When ever they like

CAN_TR

Contributor
Reactions
11 4,954
Nation of residence
Austria
Nation of origin
Turkey
The thing with our own Helicopter project is that they are either not finished or "navalised", so if there is a urgent need (which we have btw.) either new MH60R Seahawks or AW101 Merlin are good options.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,156
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
There is only a few months before the planned flight of our Atak2. Our engineers have done a good job so far and they will probably be able to navalize the Atak2 before long. We have waited so long so far and we can wait a little longer.

Fairon

Reactions
6 885
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
There is only a few months before the planned flight of our Atak2. Our engineers have done a good job so far and they will probably be able to navalize the Atak2 before long. We have waited so long so far and we can wait a little longer.

Atak2 and AW101 totally different type of helicopters that had very different mission profiles. If we had priotrize our 10T helicopter you may be right but at the moment we don't have many options. Our Seahawk numbers are just enough for our other ships and only local option we have at the moment is navalized Gökbey which will be less capable than Seahawk. (tonnage difference)

If our 10t utility helicopter was near completion you may be right but at the moment our options are limited to buying new helicopters or using Gökbey until 10t helicopter is ready.(whic doesnt even have a mock up yet)

Last edited:

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
78 10,699
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I think we're planning to do our own.
The number of helicopters in our naval aviation is not sufficient. More precisely, it is not proportional to our number of naval platforms. In the current year alone, we will commission a helicopter carrier, a frigate, an offshore patrol corvette, and a +26K displacement fast combat support ship.

For TCG Anadolu alone, even if we are able to meet combat search and rescue and ASW requirements within the existing fleet, we need at least two helicopters in airborne early warning configuration and a large number of medium/heavy utility helicopters to support amphibious operations.

Can we solve the additional needs with indigenous platform developments? Of course it is possible, but it will not be an immediate solution. A period of 5 to 10 years will be required. At least for the new naval task group, which will include the TCG Anadolu and Derya, a purchase may take place, albeit in limited quantities. On the other hand, SSB's own projects can proceed in a more relaxed project schedule, based on the helicopter requirements of the other ships that will follow.

The transfer of Super Cobra helicopters to the navy is a very good example in this respect. In the future, a variant of the ATAK-2 helicopters will be included in their air-arm. However, the urgent need was solved through a ready-to-use platform.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,156
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Atak2 and AW101 totally different type of helicopters that had very different mission profiles. If we had priotrize our 10T helicopter you may be right but at the moment we don't have many options. Our Seahawk numbers are just enough for our other ships and only local option we have at the moment is navalized Gökbey which will be less capable than Seahawk. (tonnage difference)

If our 10t utility helicopter was near completion you may be right but at the moment our options are limited to buying new helicopters or using Gökbey until 10t helicopter is ready.(whic doesnt even have a mock up yet)
Right, but looking at how Atak2 appeared out of the blue TAI is capable of making the 10t helicopter that will use the same engine as the Atak2 in an expedited manner as TAI now have experience making helicopters. It will be a little later but can be worth the wait instead of adopting yet another foreign system. Let's see what the IDEF23 will bring.

Brokengineer

Committed member
Reactions
1 480
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Aw101 merlin is a good platform for the needs of TR navy. A navalized utility helicopter (probably t925 derived from attack 2) May take long time to be in service.
The problem with Aw101 acqusition could be the cost but it with some know how transfer, it would be a wise choice to begin with.

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
78 10,699
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
AW101/Merlin HM2 ASaC.5 (Crowsnest)

Type: Airborne Early Warning (AEW)
Min Speed: 55 kt
Max Speed: 160 kt
Commissioned: 2020
Length: 19.4 m
Wingspan: 4.5 m
Height: 6.6 m
Crew: 4
Empty Weight: 11500 kg
Max Weight: 15600 kg
Max Payload: 5400 kg

Propulsion: 3x RTM 322-01/8

Sensors / EW:
  • ARI.18242 Orange Reaper - (Kestrel, Type 242) ESM, ELINT, Max range: 926 km
  • Blue Kestrel 7000 - (Kestrel, Type 242) Radar, Radar, Surface Search, Medium-Range, Max range: 185.2 km
  • Searchwater 2000 AEW - (Merlin ASaC.5) Radar, Radar, Air & Surface Search, 3D long-Range, Max range: 370.4km

Fuzuli NL

Experienced member
Germany Correspondent
Reactions
20 8,264
Nation of residence
Germany
Nation of origin
Turkey
Personally, I think the AW101 will be a good injection to our navy aviation until our own 10t helo is ready. They're quite reliable and versatile.
I'd love to see them decorated with our roundel.

eh101merlinhm1_royalnavy_zh838_kp.jpg

Maedhros

Reactions
1 44
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I support the purchasing AW101. So many people say that we will make our own helicopter(T925). But we even do not know which engine be used on this platform. Expected first flight date of T925 is 2024 and serial production date is 2026. If we really want these helicopters on announced date, we can only make a helicopter which using foreign engine like Ukrainian engines. And when I think the urgency and expected capabilities of the platform, I really want to see a helicopter which owning indigenous engines made by TEI.
AW101 can be a good gap filler for TCG Anadolu transport helicopter. But from the early 2030s we should integrate the T925 helicopter as the main transport helicopter in the navy.
Additionally, when I'm looking from an economical perspective, I'm frightening the chance of giving up the T925 project because of possible purchasing numerous AW101 helicopters.

Last edited:

Nutuk

Contributor
Think Tank Analyst
Reactions
8 3,532
Nation of residence
Nethelands
Nation of origin
Turkey
In principle I like the AW101, but we have the reality that also Italians have used embargo against us.

Should not go unpunished, are we Christians to turn the other cheek or are we Turks giving the Ottoman slap?

Maedhros

Reactions
1 44
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
In principle I like the AW101, but we have the reality that also Italians have used embargo against us.

Should not go unpunished, are we Christians to turn the other cheek or are we Turks giving the Ottoman slap?
I could not remember such a thing. Can you say which component Italians didn't give us?

GoatsMilk

Experienced member
Reactions
9 8,994
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Ideally you want to move away from weapons from europe, north america, because they all have a history of placing embargoes the first moment you come to use said weapons. Unless you have leverage against them that would make them think twice about playing these dirty games, don't buy their weapons.

Had we gone to war with Russia over the 2015 jet downing incident, i suspect most european nations would have placed a military embargo against us. God knows they were all doing their best to suck off Russia and demonise Turkey.

Top Bottom