Contributor
Reactions
4 1,055
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

And Chinese said "this is a J20 COPY"

Turkey's new generation of unmanned fighter jets has been exposed and has entered the rollout test phase. The aerodynamic layout resembles that of China's J-20 fighter jet. This may mean that this type of UAV is essentially different from the same type of equipment in the United States and Russia. At the same time, this also shows that with the Chinese people's pearls and jades ahead, more and more pursuers have also begun to like Chinese-style thinking.

Of course, even if the "Red Apple" UAV has an aerodynamic layout similar to that of the J-20 and theoretically stronger maneuverability, this does not mean that this type of UAV can be considered a success.

Because the biggest gap between UAVs and manned aircrafts lies in "humans", the "Red Apple" without pilots either requires ground operators to remotely control operations, or it needs to be equipped with intelligent AI to operate autonomously.

However, the former has unavoidable delay constraints, while the latter is beyond Turkey's current technical capabilities. Even though the "Red Apple" drone has theoretically higher performance, Turkey has no way to fully utilize it.

But in any case, Turkey, as the fourth member state that is about to join the "International Unmanned Fighter Club", has already demonstrated strong military scientific research capabilities on the "Red Apple" drone. In this process, Chinese-style thinking obviously also played a special role.

Last edited:

Anastasius

Contributor
Azerbaijan Moderator
Reactions
3 2,934
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Azerbaijan

And Chinese said "this is a J20 COPY"

Turkey's new generation of unmanned fighter jets has been exposed and has entered the rollout test phase. The aerodynamic layout resembles that of China's J-20 fighter jet. This may mean that this type of UAV is essentially different from the same type of equipment in the United States and Russia. At the same time, this also shows that with the Chinese people's pearls and jades ahead, more and more pursuers have also begun to like Chinese-style thinking.
Chinese should be the last ones complaining about copying considering their J-20 is a blatant duplicate of Russia's MiG.

Tornadoss

Contributor
Reactions
4 2,533
Nation of residence
Czechia
Nation of origin
Turkey
Not for comparison, but in terms of how much the landing gear will change in the next(carrier capable) variants:

View attachment 50625

T-45 Goshawk - 80s/90s era
(2 seat carrier-capable trainer aircraft with 5,500 lbf engine and 13,000 lb MTOW)
View attachment 50626

MQ-25A Stingray (state-of art)
(Carrier-Based Unmanned Aerial-Refueling System with 10,000 lbf engine and over 40,000 lbs MTOW)
View attachment 50627

These legs on KE seems little bit skinny. Don't skip leg day!

Afif

Experienced member
Bangladesh Correspondent
DefenceHub Diplomat
Bangladesh Moderator
Reactions
64 7,381
Nation of residence
Bangladesh
Nation of origin
Bangladesh
Chinese should be the last ones complaining about copying considering their J-20 is a blatant duplicate of Russia's MiG.
That is simply not true.

Anyway, Don't bother about that magazine! That one probably don't even hold third class merit.

Last edited:

AWP

Contributor
Reactions
4 1,403
Nation of residence
Canada
Nation of origin
Palestine
Congrats for the new KE achievement

If I may ask , do Baykar hire TUSAŞ as a consultant in the KE project ?

Ripley

Contributor
USA Correspondent
Reactions
12 1,512
Nation of residence
United States of America
Nation of origin
Turkey
Alright I’m a little confused now.

the original KE clip released by Baykar said that the aircraft completed its first autonomous taxi and pre take off roll. Yet, some sources now say it completed its first automated (even some used the term automatic) taxi tests.
Are different sources using both terms interchangeably by mistake or Somethin?

You see, I’m not an engineer but even I know the difference between both and as far as I’m concerned it’s a critical one, too.

Zafer

Experienced member
Reactions
6 7,162
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Alright I’m a little confused now.

the original KE clip released by Baykar said that the aircraft completed its first autonomous taxi and pre take off roll. Yet, some sources now say it completed its first automated (even some used the term automatic) taxi tests.
Are different sources using both terms interchangeably by mistake or Somethin?

You see, I’m not an engineer but even I know the difference between both and as far as I’m concerned it’s a critical one, too.
For the functions in question automatic and autonomous are no different.

Cabatli_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
80 45,485
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Aksungur will be powered by a turboprop engine (likely PT6) and enter the Naval Forces inventory. This version will use torpedos (Orka) to fire against underwater threats. At present, variants that will carry sonobuoys are being developed for TN.

Thanks Tolga Özbek. Meanwhile, Mr. Tolga lost his beloved mother. My condolences to him.

Baris

Committed member
Reactions
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Aksungur will be powered by a turboprop engine (likely PT6) and enter the Naval Forces inventory. This version will use torpedos (Orka) to fire against underwater threats. At present, variants that will carry sonobuoys are being developed for TN.

Thanks Tolga Özbek. Meanwhile, Mr. Tolga lost his beloved mother. My condolences to him.
He mentioned that the TISU is a special project for Mr.Demir, i wonder what this means.

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
78 10,702
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey

2 ORKA torpedo or ÇAKIR missiles / Equivalent weight bombs
ESM, SAR/GMTI-ISAR, EO/IR,
Built-in/Internal sonobuoy launcher/room,
Airborne magnetometry (MAD),
SATCOM, CDL antennas, MWS, expendable countermeasures etc. And some more other of internal avionics and may be CMS. I think even if all these are optimized and well-packaged payloads for the UAV, a lifting capacity of around 2 tons is required.

TAI is a very experienced company in both MPA system integration and UAV development. If the lifting capacity of AKSUNGUR can be increased above 1.5 tons with turboprop engines, we may see the world's first all-in-go unmanned MPA aircraft concept. Or a long-range and very high endurance unmanned maritime patrol concept consisting of two aircraft, one at ordnance drop altitude and the other at high altitude.

Top Bottom