Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
86 10,841
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
I don't know if it matters at this stage, but KE only runs 500 meters of the runway to take off.

It is a offically STOL jet starting from very first. Even with current config, You can get these aircrafts into highway tunnels, they can take off from to all the highways in the country. When this aircraft reaches a thrust of over 20,000 lbf (twin-engine variant), amongst all its other capabilities, we will also have a fighter platform with the minumum logistic footprints ang giving dispersed operational flexibility, equal to gripen concept many ways but with lots of extra.

1680332230698.png

Last edited:

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
116 14,897
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Now, this is what I call using the right weapon from the right platform. A supersonic ground attack missile fired from Akinci with a range of over 140km is going to be a force multiplier for this drone.
When fired from ground, TRG-230/TRLG230 has a range of around 70km. But when fired from air at high altitude it’s range is more than doubled as it doesn’t need to overcome gravity and albeit Akinci is not fast , it will still impart an acceptable initial velocity to the missile.
This gives Akinci a capability to hit targets from stand off distances. SOM-J will be a game changer stand off weapon for this bird too, especially when it is used against moving sea targets.
Being a high supersonic missile, UAV-230 missile will be very difficult to intercept. And with it’s high precision seeker head it will be very effective without causing collateral damage. (All UAVs like KE, Akinci and Aksungur could fire these. With KE it’s initial speed and high altitude will make the effective range even longer)
We mustn’t forget the cost effectiveness of these missiles as well since they are derivatives of cheap artillery rockets.

Last edited:

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
86 10,841
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Here is a very rough calculater algorithm set for take off with ski jump. The preset parameters are set according to the INS Vikramaditya and F-18E/F specs, but it is possible to get an idea by adapting them to the extent we know. As far as I know, the TCG Anadolu ramp is 12 degrees and roughly 26-27 meters. I estimate the distance the aircraft will run to be around 180 meters, and the wind speed over the deck will be lower than preset. On the other hand, we do not know much about the optimal AOA and optimal minimum/stable speed etc., but some estimations can be made based on the total take-off weight and maximum take-off power and also the data on the F/A-18 can be a proportional measure. Anyway, I did a few experiments. I'm not sure about most of the figures, but the point is not to prove anything, but to poke around a bit in spare time.

I think a minimum take-off thrust of 9500 lbf and around 20 kts wind over deck are needed to lift this aircraft at full load from TCG Anadolu ramp. According to this calculation, the aircraft leaves the deck at 107-109 kts. Based on a peak AoA of 14 degrees, it can reach over 120 kts in the optimal AOA position after leaving the ramp and can reach over 150 kts around 450 meters with almost no minus Climb (m/s), which I assume to be the acceptable, as minumum stable climbing speed for the aircraft.

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
116 14,897
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Here is a very rough calculater algorithm set for take off with ski jump. The preset parameters are set according to the INS Vikramaditya and F-18E/F specs, but it is possible to get an idea by adapting them to the extent we know. As far as I know, the TCG Anadolu ramp is 12 degrees and roughly 26-27 meters. I estimate the distance the aircraft will run to be around 180 meters, and the wind speed over the deck will be lower than preset. On the other hand, we do not know much about the optimal AOA and optimal minimum/stable speed etc., but some estimations can be made based on the total take-off weight and maximum take-off power and also the data on the F/A-18 can be a proportional measure. Anyway, I did a few experiments. I'm not sure about most of the figures, but the point is not to prove anything, but to poke around a bit in spare time.

I think a minimum take-off thrust of 9500 lbf and around 20 kts wind over deck are needed to lift this aircraft at full load from TCG Anadolu ramp. According to this calculation, the aircraft leaves the deck at 107-109 kts. Based on a peak AoA of 14 degrees, it can reach over 120 kts in the optimal AOA position after leaving the ramp and can reach over 150 kts around 450 meters with almost no minus Climb (m/s), which I assume to be the acceptable, as minumum stable climbing speed for the aircraft.
Many jets can be made to take off from TCG-Anadolu. Trick is to land them.
A plane like KE , for example, with a weight of 6000kg MTOW, will find it more than challenging to safely land on this ship without external assistance. Even with assistance, the large aft lift of TCG-Anadolu will be hampering any safe operation of landing procedure.
I have yet to see how they are going to land TB-3 on this LHD whilst avoiding that lift. A 10 ton Seahawk being carried by the lift is quite different to a 1.5 ton UAV hitting the the lift at landing speed. That sudden uncontrolled jerk can easily damage the lift.

dBSPL

Experienced member
Think Tank Analyst
DefenceHub Ambassador
Reactions
86 10,841
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Many jets can be made to take off from TCG-Anadolu. Trick is to land them.
A plane like KE , for example, with a weight of 6000kg MTOW, will find it more than challenging to safely land on this ship without external assistance. Even with assistance, the large aft lift of TCG-Anadolu will be hampering any safe operation of landing procedure.
I have yet to see how they are going to land TB-3 on this LHD whilst avoiding that lift. A 10 ton Seahawk being carried by the lift is quite different to a 1.5 ton UAV hitting the the lift at landing speed. That sudden uncontrolled jerk can easily damage the lift.
If we had an idea of the TB-3's typical approach speed, we could comment more clearly. The TB-2 may be a reference in this regard, but the TB-3 may provide significant improvements, especially in low speed parameters. As a propeller aircraft, the TB-3 will land on the runway almost on foot, reminiscent of 1940s navy aircrafts. Nevertheless, the landing gear will probably be the part of the aircraft that will be both contineu to developing and replaced the most.

boredaf

Contributor
Solutions
Reactions
11 2,830
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
Now, this is what I call using the right weapon from the right platform. A supersonic ground attack missile fired from Akinci with a range of over 140km is going to be a force multiplier for this drone.
When fired from ground, TRG-230/TRLG230 has a range of around 70km. But when fired from air at high altitude it’s range is more than doubled as it doesn’t need to overcome gravity and albeit Akinci is not fast , it will still impart an acceptable initial velocity to the missile.
This gives Akinci a capability to hit targets from stand off distances. SOM-J will be a game changer stand off weapon for this bird too, especially when it is used against moving sea targets.
Being a high supersonic missile, UAV-230 missile will be very difficult to intercept. And with it’s high precision seeker head it will be very effective without causing collateral damage. (All UAVs like KE, Akinci and Aksungur could fire these. With KE it’s initial speed and high altitude will make the effective range even longer)
We mustn’t forget the cost effectiveness of these missiles as well since they are derivatives of cheap artillery rockets.

Smaller munitions are good with smaller UAV's but a platform like Akıncı needs bigger payload to justify it's price and risk of using it, imo, Som/Uav-230 and a2a missiles are really necessary to unleash its full capabilities.

Quasar

Contributor
The Post Deleter
Reactions
34 2,577
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
for sure with Anadolu we will gain valuable experiance and a chance to experiment and Anadolu is only option we have for now, yet ineviatably in the mid term we will be in need of a not readly available design like Juan carlos but a local dorne carrier design to accommodate Hürjet-KE-Anka3-TB3 and SİDAs

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
116 14,897
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey
If we had an idea of the TB-3's typical approach speed, we could comment more clearly. The TB-2 may be a reference in this regard, but the TB-3 may provide significant improvements, especially in low speed parameters. As a propeller aircraft, the TB-3 will land on the runway almost on foot, reminiscent of 1940s navy aircrafts. Nevertheless, the landing gear will probably be the part of the aircraft that will be both contineu to developing and replaced the most.
TB3 should have a much slower approach speed than TB2. Baykar must have designed TB3 very much like you have explained; a very slow landing aircraft reminiscent of WW2 carrier operated planes.
TB3 will be a very important part of the LHD’s self defence as well as projecting force well away from the ship it has taken off from.
From that perspective, in the absence of a STOVL jet operating from its deck, a multi purpose TB3 will be the next best thing for TCG-Anadolu. That is why I am looking forward to seeing how Baykar will tackle the landing operation of the TB3.
Also from the perspective of “first of it’s kind” type of operation, it will open a totally new avenue for drone warfare as this project will move the drone operations to naval arena.

Lool

Experienced member
DefenceHub Diplomat
Reactions
11 4,735
Nation of residence
Albania
Nation of origin
Albania
It's more like a wish from our side...

It is known that they have such a desire, but they are more likely to get it from the US.
Moreover, you forgot that they have an "image" to keep

When a nation as advanced as Japan; i-e, 3rd largest economy with the capability to build giant Gundam Robots for fun ending up buying drones from abroad, expect it to create troubles to the ruling party within the country

That is why, them buying drones from a superior state;i-e, US, will be safe saving

The same thing happened with the Chinese whenever they make fun of Turkish weaponry only tk be shamed at the end

TheInsider

Experienced member
Professional
Solutions
Reactions
27 13,738
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
Landing TB3 will be easy peasy. TB3 will probably approach TCG Anadolu something like 60knots and if TCG Anadolu moves in the same direction with 20knots relative velocity will just be 40knots. I see no issue with TB3. TCG Anadolu will also have METEKSAN OKIS landing system which will provide highly precise 3D positional landing data with a high refresh rate. Landing KE is another matter. IMHO it needs a hook system.

Yasar_TR

Experienced member
Staff member
Administrator
Reactions
116 14,897
Nation of residence
United Kingdom
Nation of origin
Turkey

I think few more hurdles exist to make a flying wing go supersonic.
The idea of adding an afterburner to be supersonic is good. But ;

1.is it really what this plane needs?
2. How viable is it for a flying wing to go supersonic?
3. Why is it that no flying wing ever built, is supersonic?

If this is a deep strike bomber akin to B2 but smaller, then high subsonic is all you want.

If the plane is designed as supersonic, its stealth parameters will have to be re-evaluated.
To overcome the problems related to a supersonic flying wing the wings will have to be excessively thin due to a very high drag created by thick wings at supersonic speeds.
Flying wing concept is in general applied to subsonic aircraft. No supersonic flying wing has ever been built. Most suitable wing for supersonic flight is arguably the delta wing. This is because a delta wing works efficiently under subsonic, transonic and supersonic flight regimes.
So if Anka-3 is redesigned as a cross between delta and flying wing then, may be, supersonic flight can be envisaged.

Cenkcnk

Committed member
Reactions
1 385
Nation of residence
Turkey
Nation of origin
Turkey
can't we use much smaller drones to lase targets? Smaller drones = hard to be found and engaged by enemy ADS. Imagine lots of micro drones are lasing targets. It is a total nightmare

Follow us on social media

Top Bottom